Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,474 times

Advertisements

I just returned from a three day visit to Fayetteville and I must say I was impressed with the area. My folks and I drove up from Florida for a retirement ceremony at Fort Bragg. We had dinner at Carabba's and one of the restaurants with micro brewed beers (the name escapes me) in an area of town that seemed more upscale than I would expect. It might just be that I remember visiting in the late 90's and in 2005 and I do not recall so many dining choices. Also, the homes seemed well maintained with many built of brick with tall trees out front and situated above the streets. I live near Orlando and quite a few of the homes in this area are run-down looking concrete boxes with spindly, dried-out looking vegetation around the residences.
What really struck me though was how polite many of the people are in your area. I know there are exceptions to the rule, but the service professionals as well as strangers were relaxed and engaging towards myself and family. In much of Florida there are just too many people with either an agenda or they are just unapproachable overall. This was a nice change from what I see most days. Also, although it was hot during the day there in NC it was a bit drier and noticeably cooler throughout the night and in the morning. Since my return to Florida I'm starting to adjust to the higher humidity in Florida and the bright/intense sunlight but one more month or two and we'll start to get some drier and slightly cooler weather. Fayetteville may be overlooked by some of the other small cities in the area but you should be proud for those of you who call it home. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:16 PM

363 posts, read 439,238 times
I have been looking into possible relo with my family to NC, and Fayetteville in particular. I'm a former military dependent, lived on Ft Bragg for three years as a child, and it seems as though this area has a bad rap. I wasn't even sure what regional forum to look into, so far from the coast and not quite in the other regions. Very interesting how the NC forum is broken down. Anyway, I pretty much get the sense that some dislike the transient qualities of the military population that lives nearby, while others embrace the diversity. I haven't been down in many years, but have always held NC dear to my heart. Very interested to hear any viewpoints on pros/cons of this region vs another.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,375,458 times
search this board and you'll find quite a few threads on F'ville.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:34 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
I wasn't even sure what regional forum to look into, so far from the coast and not quite in the other regions. Very interesting how the NC forum is broken down.
Most of the threads on Fayetteville have been in the general NC forum, not a specific regional one.

I was glad to see the above poster pointing out some positive things: polite people, green-ness, solid housing.

Too many people read the negative press and are afraid that there is nowhere safe in F'ville. Lots of poster have been looking for safe apartments.

Good luck with the family relocation.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:24 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Wow, this is the first time that I have ever heard anything good about Fayetteville. Most consider it the armpit of NC.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:31 PM

233 posts, read 243,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wow, this is the first time that I have ever heard anything good about Fayetteville. Most consider it the armpit of NC.
Its some cool thing to talk crap about Fayetteville for some reason and keep in mind most of the people talking so much smack about Fayetteville was force to live there (military). Fayetteville is going to surprise a lot of people in NC and SC. Fayetteville has the opportunity to be the hub for a pretty good chunk of Southeast NC and Northeast SC. Believe it or not people do come here for entertainment and jobs from this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina