U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,653,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrtmoosen View Post
Thanks! Finally lots of GREAT ADVICE I think I may send the links to my parents and let them read on about it. I'm sure they would feel better knowing more about these places.

I'm sorta torn... on the one hand I like the social scene here in downtown Roanoke with being so close to everything. On the other hand, I don't want my 20's social life to be just barhopping every weekend. So I'm hoping moving somewhere like Wilmington where there are promising job opportunities, culturally diverse entertainment and THE BEACH will make me feel a little more stable and lot less suffocated than I do now.
meh.. don't get your hopes up too much. Promising job opportunities are few and far between, IMO. "The Beach" is accessible if you live there, and barhopping is an integral aspect of the social scene downtown. I'm not saying that Wilmington isn't cultural - but it strikes me as more of a *slightly* liberal party town than a legitimate cultural center.

Last edited by anonymous; 01-29-2008 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:02 PM

27 posts, read 87,475 times
oh don't worry. I don't eat cheeseburgers lol.

As long as housing is affordable I'm okay with it... besides NOVA would be more expensive and that is my second option.

Wilmington, or where I end up, will only be temporary. So if shelling out a few extra bucks every month means I can live near the beach and be somewhere peaceful then I'm all for it.

ANYWHERE, with the exception of inner city areas, is more peaceful than a college dorm. ANYWHERE.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 47,621 times
Default Medical Field??

My husband and I are looking to relocate to NC from NEPA. He is in sugical device sales. Any advice for the "perfect" area? We have 3 small children and are in our 30's. We both love the outdoors and the water!!

Old 02-01-2008, 01:09 PM

79 posts, read 278,060 times
Wilmington for sure.

The downtown area is fun and it's a college town. The downside is that the job market is tight. There are a lot of people that want to move to Wilmington and it's not uncommon for some to take paycuts in order to do it... so you might find some "overqualified" people in positions that less experienced people might normally have. There are a lot of things going on down there and a lot of young people.

I grew up in New Bern... not a young person's town It's a retirement area. haha! Morehead City and those places can be nice but there's not as much going on there as in some of the bigger towns.

Raleigh is fun too. I don't consider it as "safe" as Wilmington but there's definitely a lot of young people in the area and plenty of activities going on all the time. You'll never get bored. Once you figure out your way around town it doesn't feel so "big" anymore.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 PM

15 posts, read 62,935 times
who the heck charges $14 for a cheeseburger?? At Texas Roadhouse you can get a
fantastic steak, salad, fresh baked rolls, a bucket of peanuts, and baked potato for under $8. And the servers line dance to entertain you. Yee-hah. Can't be beat!! I'm a meat and potatoes fan and theirs are great! I think there are a lot of decently priced restaurants. Can't you eat at Olive Garden, bottomless soup salad and bread for $5.99?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,068,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMom View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate to NC from NEPA. He is in sugical device sales. Any advice for the "perfect" area? We have 3 small children and are in our 30's. We both love the outdoors and the water!!
Well, log this one under "things you learn while having a throughly ill-spent youth" The acronym NEPA in some areas of the world it stands for "Nigerian Electric Power Authority" a notoriously non-efficient utility. The local Nigerians believe the letters stand for something else, "No Electric Power Anytime" One of the local dentists in the town of Uyo in what used to be the Cross River State, it got cut in half, don't know what the two halves are now called. The Dentist spent a lot of money to get a state of the art x-ray and Drill, NEPA sent a surge through the line and fried both pieces of equipment. He put them in his waiting area, they are now ornaments. The hospital in Uyo has a nice shiny centrifuge on a pedestal in their main lobby, the apparatus was a gift to the hospital from a group of doctors in the U.S. The hospital has no electricity, ergo it sits on a pedestal in the lobby. I suspect your use of the "NEPA" probably stands for North East Pennsylvania, but... as always, I could be wrong. What I suspect is not always truth, but merely a side effect of the way my mind puts data together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina