U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 AM

414 posts, read 1,153,665 times

Advertisements

As long as you are detailed on your receipts, I think you'll be fine. :-) Good luck sorting through the muck. I am doing the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM

36 posts, read 121,767 times
Default Look for a FROG instead of a basement here on our coast!

Just a note to tell you that FROG as described in multiple listing service stands for Finished Room Over the Garage...our answer to basements!
Good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:35 PM

83 posts, read 333,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugas01 View Post
I have NO idea where Sunny Kayak is "searching", but in the MLS we do not even have "basement" as a choice because they are so rare. I searched and had to put "basement" in the Remarks field to search to get any, and out of 2,537 listings for sale in
Wilmington only 22 claim basements, many of which are in the downtown, Forest Hills area, or are not true below grade basements, rather are mostly finished, lower floors
with walk-out capabilities.
Yea...gotta scratch my head on that one as well. I'm sure they exist but I have yet to see one.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:22 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,435,233 times
Default Basements along the coast?

Basements in homes in the Wilmington area are generally in the older homes, but many of them are NOT necessarily much more than places at the bottom of the old coal shutes.

We lived in two houses, with basements, in what is called the "Mansion district' -- the neighborhood surrounding the Wise and Kenan mansions at the corners of 17th & Market streets. Our homes on Grace Street, and Princess Street, both had basements but they were often damp and smelly, and gave me the creeps. My father's was still used for coal not too long ago. My Grandmother's home on Chestnut Street had a basement too, as do many of the houses in the general area.

These are not the types of basements, however, that are made into family rec rooms or small apartments.

My husband says basements on the coast are called "swimming pools."

Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 PM

43 posts, read 129,221 times
I am here searching for a house now. I was suprised at how much storage the builders have tucked into the houses.

I must say I am still in sticker shock on the housing prices.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM

14 posts, read 76,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_ny View Post
Am looking to relocate to the Wilmington area. We currently live up north in a 2 story house with a basement. The thing that scares us the most about the move is where are we going to put all our stuff without a basement as it appears few if any homes have them. So I'm wondering are there any homes around that do have basements, particually new developments? I did read something about one development having something called a "Carolina basement" Any idea what that would mean?
I live in an established neighborhood in Wilmington called Echo Farms. There is actually a house on Appleton that is for Sale that has a basement. Basements are unusual for this part of the state because of being at sea level. As far as I know, they have never had problems with water because of the grade of the lot. Most people have detached garages with extra "bonus" rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina