U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:07 PM

89 posts, read 96,749 times

Advertisements

Ditchoc - do you know the new area or streets? Was thinking Regency gate would also be closer to beach club and Yaupon businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 04:07 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,823,879 times
Definitely OKI. No need to live in a bubble.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:01 PM

111 posts, read 207,286 times
Wow, two totally different communities......

My wife and I chose Oak Island over St. James because we don't golf nor are we "pool" people. Both those amenities are gorgeous on SJP but if we don't use them why pay a premium to live there. And you do pay a premium.

We love the ability to be on the Intracoastal and yet still have a pleasant 10 minute walk to the ocean, no dragging all the beach stuff into the car and dragging all the sand into it on the way home.

Again, vastly different types of living. It really SHOULD be an easy choice if you know what you want.

Ron

Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,760,854 times
I have lived on the island.

Frankly, I have never heard anyone choosing between the two.

SJP is fancy house, gated, golf, pool, and many with their noses in the air.

OKI is more working class, smaller homes, beachy, touristy. Yeah, beachfront and ICW are nicer homes, but that is not the OKI vibe.

Just can't believe both would appeal equally to you.

Go with the characteristics that are you and your family.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:55 PM

We actually know several couples at SJP and they don't have their noses in the air. As far as liking both - it's not the clubs and golf, it's the indoor pool and fitness that appeals for exercise/health reasons.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,967,874 times
Wow, you are the first person I ever heard of liking Oak Island beaches over Sunset Beach....

That was one of the drivers why we bought in Ocean Ridge over SJP.

Bottom lime is both places are beautiful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcountess View Post
OK, we are in the final stages of deciding - at least we have decided to build so we can get exactly what we want. We love all the amenities in SJP but like the close proximity to the beach on OKI. Our daughter and grandkids were here this week and it seems the beach club would be nice for showering and not having so much hassle with sand and all to get home. Then tonight we made a last minute decision to get ice cream after dinner and were there in a couple minutes - definitely won't happen in SJP.

Would like thoughts of people in both places about coming to the beach - how long can you use the facilities at the beach club after the pool is closed down? We decided not to move to Ocean Ridge because we prefer OKI to Sunset Beach but I recall our sales person saying you could go to the beach club any time of the day or night all year long. SJP?

Thanks for all your opinions and help!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM

784 posts, read 1,637,576 times
Well, let's see now..... as far as differences between St James and Oak Island go..... a few observations....

While St James is virtually crime free and quite safe to stroll around at any time of the day or night... over on Oak Island the crime rate is actually quite high and rising, assaults are way up, car thefts are up, drug arrests are way up and house burglaries are completely out of control... but hey, it's a choice.

In St James ALL properties are quite well kept and nicely manicured... while over on Oak Island as you drive up and down ANY street you will find beaucoup houses and properties that are completely run down, overgrown and in various states of disrepair/abandonment.... but hey, it's a choice.

In addition, if you scout around both areas you will find that there are definitely more actual teeth in St James... one needs only to stop in at ,,, well, say, the Pirates Deck on a nice afternoon and get a beer at the bar to witness this..... again, it's a choice as we do go over to the Island for some of the restaurants.

I will freely admit though... most people in St James do actually have their noses stuck way up in the air... the danger there is that one can actually drown in a heavy rain... but I THINK they are working on an insurance product for this particular situation.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,210,200 times
Stoney .... what comedy show did you write for

Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,823,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Stoney .... what comedy show did you write for
Comedy is right. A quick check of crime data on this website shows crime rates in Oak Island are falling, not rising. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good self-righteous rant.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:48 AM

Biscman - loved Sunset Beach till I realized there were no waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina