Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 AM

805 posts, read 2,003,583 times

Advertisements

Ok.. OK... Ok... so the crime rates on Oak Island are not presently "skyrocketing".... they are merely astronomically high compared to St James Plantation ... but the dental reference is still quite accurate... and ... and.... well... so there !!!

PS: Observation; the actual sightings of wife beater shirts is also quite high on Oak Island whilst they are banned at St James by popular demand !!! It's a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Alrighty then..... heading out to our lovely pool now... I have the water temp heated 85 degrees, just right for noodle lounging in the sun with some friends that are arriving soon.... let's see now... hot sun... nice pool.... 60" TV on the wall.... cold drinks... a good cigar.... hang out with some other rowdies and scream about politics..... doesn't get too much better than that !

Of course the wife beater tank tops are still banned.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Wow, two totally different communities......

My wife and I chose Oak Island over St. James because we don't golf nor are we "pool" people. Both those amenities are gorgeous on SJP but if we don't use them why pay a premium to live there. And you do pay a premium.

We love the ability to be on the Intracoastal and yet still have a pleasant 10 minute walk to the ocean, no dragging all the beach stuff into the car and dragging all the sand into it on the way home.

Again, vastly different types of living. It really SHOULD be an easy choice if you know what you want.
I agree with this completely. They are very different communities, and should be a clear choice to the OP.

FWIW, my choice would be Oak Island, as I prefer the proximitiy to the ocean and shopping. I am not a golfer and do not see a good reason for paying the premium to be in a country club community.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:08 AM

It's a choice, of course, if I haven't mentioned it before. The really, really amazing thing is that we don't have to make a choice at all... we have it all, we can traverse the roadways for 15 minutes over to the dentally challenged Oak Island anytime we care to, avoiding much of the unkempt areas ( although that is a bit difficult ) and then return to the uppercrust and snooty society of St James Plantation...... we don't reduce everything to a monetary consideration, worked for 40 years to enjoy retirement and after all, you can't take it with you.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:15 PM

89 posts, read 133,653 times
So a couple things - trying for the comedy routine work as well - you can't call it St. Jersey if Wife Beaters are not allowed :-)
Lived in NJ for 10 years and HATE those things.

Stonecreek67 - confused, are you in SJP? Guess you have your own pool since it sounds like you can regulate the temp and everything you want. Sounds heavenly! Enjoy.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:03 PM

Yes countess.... we have our own pool overlooking a huge lagoon-like pond in our backyard and yep it is quite heavenly... and yes, many, many here are of course from New Jersey ( and NY ) and have taken the vow about the wife beaters..... when we feel the need to encounter the aforementioned garb we simply make the 15 minute ride over to Oak Island and we can get our fill of them... that usually takes us about a half an hour.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:58 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Alrighty then..... heading out to our lovely pool now... I have the water temp heated 85 degrees, just right for noodle lounging in the sun with some friends that are arriving soon.... let's see now... hot sun... nice pool.... 60" TV on the wall.... cold drinks... a good cigar.... hang out with some other rowdies and scream about politics..... doesn't get too much better than that !

Of course the wife beater tank tops are still banned.
LOL. I wonder where the stereotype of the St. Jersey a-hole comes from?!

BTW, you're still not in Southport.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:35 PM

Well carolinadawg... we are quite happy people and we usually hang out with other quite happy people.... life is simply too short to do otherwise.... we get along with most everyone around us.

The "stereotypical a-holes" you speak of are, of course, everywhere... they definitely are not limited to NJ OR St James.... they exist even on this forum.... people that take themselves a bit too seriously and have no sense of humor.... we make every attempt to avoid them and definitely do not include them in the pool parties... as mentioned earlier life is simply too short.

So after exiting the aforementioned perfect temperature pool, I prepared some linguine with lime cilantro shrimp and a nice salad.... nice end to a nice day with a few nice people..... heading back out by the pool now to have a nice cigar, some MacCallan 12 year old single malt on the rocks and watch some of todays' news thrown at me by the moron pundits who are "almost" as dishonest and self-serving as the vast majority of our politicians... at every level.... on both sides.

And as far as Southport is concerned... we are definitely there.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Well carolinadawg... we are quite happy people and we usually hang out with other quite happy people.... life is simply too short to do otherwise.... we get along with most everyone around us.

The "stereotypical a-holes" you speak of are, of course, everywhere... they definitely are not limited to NJ OR St James.... they exist even on this forum.... people that take themselves a bit too seriously and have no sense of humor.... we make every attempt to avoid them and definitely do not include them in the pool parties... as mentioned earlier life is simply too short.

So after exiting the aforementioned perfect temperature pool, I prepared some linguine with lime cilantro shrimp and a nice salad.... nice end to a nice day with a few nice people..... heading back out by the pool now to have a nice cigar, some MacCallan 12 year old single malt on the rocks and watch some of todays' news thrown at me by the moron pundits who are "almost" as dishonest and self-serving as the vast majority of our politicians... at every level.... on both sides.

And as far as Southport is concerned... we are definitely there.
Sounds great! I'm happy you're happy. Probably best for all to stay " inside the gates".

But, seriously, you don't live in Southport. Which is too bad...it's heaven on earth!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:47 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
No waves? Really?? Must have been a calm day because I always see waves when im on the beach there and I ave been going to Sunset for close to 30 years now...

Enjoy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcountess View Post
Biscman - loved Sunset Beach till I realized there were no waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina