Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:24 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfkidd View Post
This is so true! We've never had so many bad, inedible, over priced evening meals, but with a water view.

Joseph's is indeed good. But that's about it.

Hopefully the transplants will bring better eating choices with them.
I wouldn't count on that happening. The most overpriced, worst restaurant with a water view in S'port is owned and run by a New Jersey transplant. We don't need yankees to come save us.

Try some places away from the water. I was nice enough to provide many good recs in a previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 07:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
You hear the same whines about a lot of small coastal towns.

Most people are attracted to them because they are small, quaint, and peaceful.

Then they want world class dining in the same quaint setting.

Ugh!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 PM

383 posts, read 892,163 times
I just don't get bringing up sterotypes on every post. The negative connotation regarding "Northerners" is unfounded and I find it insulting. It is natural from people from the North to retire to warmer climates. They do not destroy the local towns or flavor. In fact they infuse capital into local economies. That allows for new businesses and tax revenues to help fund schools (even though these retirees will not have kids to utilize them).

I have to tell you, I live in SJP. I like to go to a coffee shop in the evening to get some Joe. In Southport there is nothing. But due to the needs of the "growing" population, the new shopping center under construction will include restaurants and even a coffee shop. I consider that growth in business "progress."

It is wrong to simply classify all people from the north as arrogant, rich snobs. That is just as wrong as classifying people from the south as uneducated and simple.

Lets stick to the point of this thread so we can share information that will be helpful to the posting members.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I just don't get bringing up sterotypes on every post. The negative connotation regarding "Northerners" is unfounded and I find it insulting. It is natural from people from the North to retire to warmer climates. They do not destroy the local towns or flavor. In fact they infuse capital into local economies. That allows for new businesses and tax revenues to help fund schools (even though these retirees will not have kids to utilize them).

I have to tell you, I live in SJP. I like to go to a coffee shop in the evening to get some Joe. In Southport there is nothing. But due to the needs of the "growing" population, the new shopping center under construction will include restaurants and even a coffee shop. I consider that growth in business "progress."

It is wrong to simply classify all people from the north as arrogant, rich snobs. That is just as wrong as classifying people from the south as uneducated and simple.

Lets stick to the point of this thread so we can share information that will be helpful to the posting members.
Good for you. I found comments on this thread directed at natives and locals to be condescending and insulting. So I guess we're even.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 01-10-2016 at 06:17 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Quote:

Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
That is just as wrong as classifying people from the south as uneducated and simple.
Phooey, based on my experience, I classify northerners as uneducated and simple. I will try to do better!

Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You hear the same whines about a lot of small coastal towns.

Most people are attracted to them because they are small, quaint, and peaceful.

Then they want world class dining in the same quaint setting.

Ugh!
Slight correction...they don't want world class dining...the want dining like they had in Jersey. In fact, they want everything (except taxes and weather) to be like Jersey.

News flash: this ain't Jersey.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:37 AM

383 posts, read 892,163 times
I live in NJ until I retire to SJP sometime in the future. My wife and I love North Carolina for the slower pace (a good thing), the people, weather and cost of living. We are not trying to make Southport - Jersey in the South. I am not sure why that sterotype is constantly being discussed and exploited. I am certainly NOT going to apologize for being from NJ and I am sure when I am a full time NC and SJP resident, I will fit in just fine and will have a new set of friends in my NEW home state of NC.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
I live in NJ until I retire to SJP sometime in the future. My wife and I love North Carolina for the slower pace (a good thing), the people, weather and cost of living. We are not trying to make Southport - Jersey in the South. I am not sure why that sterotype is constantly being discussed and exploited. I am certainly NOT going to apologize for being from NJ and I am sure when I am a full time NC and SJP resident, I will fit in just fine and will have a new set of friends in my NEW home state of NC.
Very well stated, Mark! Hope you are enjoying life in SJP - Mary and Rick are currently living in Myrtle - their home is currently under construction in ORP - we are a few years down the road yet - I know jerseyj and her husband have plans for their future home - fingers crossed for all of us!!

Old 01-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I live in NJ until I retire to SJP sometime in the future. My wife and I love North Carolina for the slower pace (a good thing), the people, weather and cost of living. We are not trying to make Southport - Jersey in the South.
You're in the minority, in my experience. Of course, you're not here yet, either.

Quote:
I am not sure why that sterotype is constantly being discussed and exploited.
No idea, huh?

Quote:
I am certainly NOT going to apologize for being from NJ and I am sure when I am a full time NC and SJP resident, I will fit in just fine and will have a new set of friends in my NEW home state of NC.
Yes, inside the gate, I'm sure you will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina