U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 8,811 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
This is my first post here so I'll try and be thorough as I've read many comments by senior members on here with requests to be more descriptive re type of person/lifestyle and needs/wants.
I am a single (well I will be when I move) 47 yr/o Mom with a 12 yr/o Son and I am considering moving to the Wilmington area in about a year. I am a disabled Army Veteran, not a wounded warrior but suffered injury on active duty. I'm still a functional person, just unable to work as a nurse as I have been in the past. I am originally from CA, spent 5 years near Savannah GA (Ft Stewart area) , I've lived all over the US throughout my life. I did live in Myrtle Beach, actually Little River, SC for a year but that's been 25+ years ago...Where does the time go? Also lived briefly around Greensboro, NC near the same time period but only for a few months (Desert Storm time, husband at the time was deployed , I stayed with friends) I loved that year in MB but hey, I was 23 and single, different time/life. I spent 12 years living in Maryland/DC metro area. I was stationed at Walter Reed. I really disliked living there, the millions of ppl ....the MILLIONS of ppl! We did finally settle in Frederick County MD which is much more rural once out of city limits and much more country with kind, friendly ppl and with city amenities nearby. Loved that! BUT, I currently live in West Virginia, for 2 1/2+ years and I MISS the ocean!
I'm a foodie that LOVES to cook and I currently have to drive 45 minutes to get to a grocery store that has more than basic products....that's a bummer. And can't take many more winters with polar vortex's! I was born and raised near the beach and deeply miss it. And my poor son who just started middle school is desperately trying to fit in here but gets made fun of daily for being into skateboarding and not being into country music, boots, hunting, etc. I'm working on him as far as the country music goes :-) He was born and raised in rural MD within a couple hours drive to the beach. I need the beach area/environment, warmer winters and nice ppl that WILL accept you even though you're "not from around here". This is the only place I've ever lived that's not like that. I've never not made friends very quickly anywhere else. I actually lived in WV when I moved from Myrtle Beach 25+ yrs ago and LOVED it AND the ppl here but as with everywhere else, times/things change. And I am living in a different area. OK, with that all said, I am very friendly, non-judgmental about everyone, like all ppl except bad ppl, ie; mean spirited, racist ( I'm white but don't like ppl who only judge based on skin color) and just general all around bad attitudes. I know that's not really relevant as ppl are like that everywhere, just being as thorough as I can. I've considered Myrtle Beach but it's just not what I'm looking for in terms of raising my Son in a community. There are many communities there but the close knit ones are generally retirement communities and I'm not quite there yet. But may be a possibility for myself when he's grown and on his own. I will be renting, not buying at this time. I will not be working so I'm not worried about traffic. My Son is VERY active outdoors, biking, skateboarding, scooters, etc and so I'm looking for rural or suberb communities around Wilmington that also have families with kids and a decent school district, not looking for perfect, doesn't exist with so many differing ideals of what is perfect. I would just love a quiet community, would prefer a single family home, I haven't lived in an apartment since I was 21 and I LOVE to garden and be outside. BUT I would be willing to go with an apt that was ground level and had some yard space since I have a limited budget. I'm hoping to keep rent $850 or less. I've seen many available but not sure if they are in good areas. Oh, and we're avid kayakers as well, the river is in our backyard and will definitely miss that! If I've rambled without giving enough pertinent details I apologize. I ramble when I first meet ppl. But any specific details about actually living in different areas in and around Wilmington would be greatly appreciated. I've read that Leland or Ogden might be nice for what I'm looking for? I've read probably 100+ posts but none that I saw with my specific criteria....Rural/country ish suberbs but within 20 minutes or so of kids for my son, restaurants, groceries, beaches, etc., decent schools with rental properties....too much to ask? I so hope not! Thanks so much for any guidance/ information you can share.

Last edited by ArmyLPNurse; 08-25-2015 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 AM

222 posts, read 203,632 times
Castle Hayne fits pretty much what your looking for. It's a rural town about 10 mins north of Wilmington. I searched rentals there and they are very few of them. Only 2 are around your asking price. They may be more options but it's better to see in person what's available. I also suggest checking Wilmington out whenever you have time to come down. They have a nice downtown riverfront with lots of shops and restaurants. Wilmington is also about 10 mins from beaches all well (Carolina, Kure, and Wrightsville). IIRC the river in Castle Hayne is also use for a lot of recreational activities.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:42 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
I'd also suggest Hampstead which has a larger stock of apartments. The northwest area of Wilmington, know as Ogden is growing fast and has apartments.

BTW, please also check the Militarybyowner web site for rentals. Many of my Marine neighbors have investment houses, and the all list the houses there as well as Craigslist.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,354,053 times
I am a bit conflicted of how to respond. OP wants convenience but rural, and son is into skateboarding...but $850 a month.

I am going to suggest a couple of different areas because the OP said nothing about her social life.

Midtown-For someone your age and his, I highly suggest this. I know a single mom with a 3 BR townhouse that pays $875, near College and 17th St. However, this is surely not rural. Lots of kids to play with, great schools, and lots of people in the OP's age. Convenient to everything (beaches, downtown, shopping, schools). Greeenfield Lake, near downtown, has a renowned skate park, but you dont leave a 12 year old by themself there because there is some public housing around Greenfield Lake.

Veterans Park area-This area is a bit more on the rural side, but really a suburb. The neighborhoods surrounding Veterans Park feed tons of kids into it and the schools. Housing is fairly affordable. Schools are good, just not considered the best. Easy access to Carolina Beach (but not Wrightsville). Carolina Beach has a good skate park. Easy access into Wilmington for OP's social scene.

Hampstead-There is a cool indoor skate park just off 17 in Hampstead...

Skate Board Park - The Skate Barn - Hampstead, Nc

This area is more rural, but really a suburb of Wilmington. This may be perfect for you, but your kid is really gonna have to like it, because its a smaller area than the other two (then again, he is coming from West Virginia). Housing is affordable, Topsail Island is pretty easy to get to. Schools are good, a little smaller than in Wilmington. Bigger shopping will require trips into Wilmington, and the social scene is fairly non existent in Hampstead.

I would not suggest Leland...its really more of a retirement area, similar to Myrtle Beach and schools are...meh.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 AM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyLPNurse View Post
Rural/country ish suberbs but within 20 minutes or so of kids for my son, restaurants, groceries, beaches, etc., decent schools with rental properties....too much to ask? I so hope not!
If your Army Veteran status would give you access to the recreational facilities at Camp Lejeune, there is a very nice skate park there:Extreme Wheels Skate Park - MCCS Lejeune-New River

The Jacksonville area has cheaper rentals than Wilmington. It is not as pretty, but you can get decent access to beaches at North Topsail, and semi-decent schools. The Onslow County schools are not as well-rated as the Hampstead/Topsail schools. You won't find it as convenient for gourmet groceries, but you will have to compromise somewhere.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 8,811 times
Thank you so much Mr ENC, goldenage1 and HP91 for your insights and suggestions. Sorry for the confusion HP91 as far as my son being into skateboarding and my desire to live in a more rural area. I know I'm going to have to compromise there for the sake of my son which is why I would be interested in a more quiet, out of the city suburb. I'm just hoping not to live in a city apartment complex....I would be miserable. I'm not so much worried about being near a skate park, in fact I'd rather not be, I don't want him to have access at all times to that type of environment. He does enjoy riding BMX bikes and skateboarding around our quiet neighborhood with other kids so that's more of what I meant, a safe area he can ride in the neighborhood and I will take him to skate parks on occasion which is what we do here....there's only one very small one around here. He's just an all around outdoor boy, I couldn't keep him in the house if I wanted to so it's really important to me that it's a safe area for kids to play outside. I DO want convenience but that may very well mean something completely different to me than to other ppl. I live in a town with no traffic lights and one small grocery store. I LOVE that but would like to be able to get to conveniences without driving 45 minutes to get there. Also, as far as my social life, I didn't mention it because I'm not concerned about having one. LOL Of course I would like to make friends which is another reason for wanting the family type of neighborhood so I can meet other parents. Otherwise I won't be interested in a "social scene" for quite some time. My focus will be on my son and myself, definitely looking forward to that. :-)

Thank you for the suggestions of Castle Hayne, Hampstead, Ogden and Veterans Park. You all have been very helpful. And goldenage1 also for the Militarybyowner web site info. I will definitely look into all. And yes, my veteran status would give me access so that's great, my son would be super excited.....he's missed "civilization" since moving here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or