U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 04:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,765 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to retire to NC and will be house hunting soon. There are 3 communities we are considering and would appreciate any pros or cons about each.

Waterford of the Carolinas in Leland

River Landing in Wallace

Winding River Plantation in Bolivia
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 05:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calldoug98 View Post
My husband and I are planning to retire to NC and will be house hunting soon. There are 3 communities we are considering and would appreciate any pros or cons about each.

River Landing in Wallace

If access to the beach is an issue, Wallace is about an hour from the beach. There is also much more shopping and amenities close to the other 2.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM

70 posts, read 105,867 times
My husband and I own a homesite in River Landing. It's a GORGEOUS community with great amenities. Our lot is on large pond in Cedar Point. We do not want the congestion of city life - including the traffic in Wilmington - so being 35 minutes from Wilmington is fine with us. Wrightsville Beach is about 45 minutes and Topsail/Surf City about 40. Wallace has what we need for daily living, e.g. stores like Walmart and restaurants.

We're not golfers, and RL is definitely golf-oriented. Not sure if that's a con or not!

I saw a comment online about an odor from the pig farms when the wind blows in a certain direction, but NONE of the many homeowners I've spoken with affirm that concern.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,773,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calldoug98 View Post

River Landing in Wallace

It is a matter of opinion, but we considered River Landing unacceptably far from the water. There are very few amenities in the town of Wallace. Since we don't play golf, that was not a draw either. On the plus side, there is lower risk of hurricane damage and probably lower homeowner's insurance fees.

Waterford of the Carolinas was on our radar for a while, but the houses are smaller than we wanted. (Note that the golf course is in the sister community, Magnolia Greens.)

I have never been to Winding River, but it does have many fans in this forum.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-09-2015 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2015, 08:50 PM

588 posts, read 1,201,455 times
Waterford's homes were too small? Most are custom-built (at least in the section of Waterford about which I know), and a good number are 3000+ square feet (and a few are upwards of 5000+ square feet). I think that's pretty big! That's big at least by my definition, but I know we all have different perspectives (which is okay!).

I think Waterford is lovely.

~ The neighborhood is not fully built out yet, and the homes in the newer section(s) are fairly spread out at this time.
~ Most homes (again, within the newer section(s)) are on the man-made canals that run through the neighborhood. Most people seem to have small docks off of which they can fish (catch and release) or launch their kayaks/canoes, or even just "chill" upon. Kayaking through the neighborhood is a lot of fun!
~ The landscaping is beautiful.
~ There is a nice clubhouse (which is about to be expanded) and pool, and there are several FUN community events held there.
~ There is a "lake," (or really big pond) that has a few larger docks, some community grills, and some picnic tables.
~ There are nice neighborhood amenities including a small beach for volleyball, a bocce ball court, tennis courts, the pool, a nice playground, etc.
~ Shopping is close by. There is a Wal-mart just up the street, and a strip shopping center (with a Harris Teeter, hair cutting place, pet supply store, a few restaurants, etc.) "attached" to the neighborhood.
~ The neighborhood is NOT in ANY WAY a "cut through" for others. If you're "in" Waterford, you're there for a reason.
~ There are people of ALL ages, including MANY retirees of all ages.
~ The people are very nice.
~ There are "transplants" from all over the country, so no one would feel like an "outsider" if they are not a native North Carolinian.
~ Wilmington is just up the road. Without bridge traffic, it takes about five minutes to get to the Battleship.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:33 AM

126 posts, read 147,694 times
Have you considered Fairfield Harbour?
Lots of river and canal waterfront homes available at undervalued pricing.
In my opinion a very nice community.
Very quiet, away from the touristy crowds with no road congestion.
ten minutes from the city of New Bern and all the shopping you could need.
50 minutes from Atlantic Beach.
Plenty of recreational amenities.And there seems to be a lot of new blood moving in. I've been down to FFH five times since the end of March and each time met a few people that have made recent home purchases.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 AM

152 posts, read 183,269 times
I went through the some process described by the OP. We made a list of most important factors we were looking for in a new location/home to help with our decision. I would suggest you try this course of action, it might help?

We visited all three sites and all three had their pluses and minuses. We finally setting on buying a resale in WRP. I will not knock the other two places. The reasons we settled on WRP are as follows.

1. Water; we wanted access to water and WRP is located on the Lockwood Folly River with quick access to the ICW.
2. Water again; we are about 15 minutes from Holden Beach where WRP has a private parking lot with a beach house with a pool on the beach.
3. We don't play much golf and you are not required to join or support the golf course at WRP since it not owned by WRP.
You can join the course if you so desire.
4. Hospital: there is a hospital close by on US 17.
5. We didn't want to be located close to a shopping center because of the potential problems. We are located about 12 miles from Shallotte which has a Belks; Home Depot and Lowes; nice local restaurants and chains; a great bakery; gas stations and Wal Mart; grocery stores and a library. Southport and Oak Island are about 12 miles the other direction, but we mostly avoid it during the "season".
6. WRP is completely developed and the developer is gone. We know the financials and WRP is financially secure. This is very important.
7. There are a lot activities and you can do as much or as little as you desire. Very friendly people and I assume the other locations are the same since most of the residents are transplants.

Email me if you have any questions. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 AM

7 posts, read 5,765 times
Thanks for sharing thoughts on three retirement areas -- Waterford, River Landing & Winding River.

We are not golfers so we do want a community where that was not the only focus -- my hubby likes to fish but freshwater options are fine.

We are worried about hurricane/flooding and not sure about it in Wilmington area & frequency of issues with flooding.

Farfield Harbour -- looked on-line but many of the homes seemed older and we want something newer. We'd also like to have the lawn, etc. care included in HOA.

Any more suggestions/viewpoints welcome. We'll be driving to NC from Illinois in Feb/March -- our son went to ECU and now works in Raleigh so we have visited several areas -- just not south of Wilmington toward SC .

Old 09-10-2015, 08:41 AM

562 posts, read 931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Waterford's homes were too small? Most are custom-built (at least in the section of Waterford about which I know), and a good number are 3000+ square feet (and a few are upwards of 5000+ square feet). I think that's pretty big! That's big at least by my definition, but I know we all have different perspectives (which is okay!).

I think Waterford is lovely.

~ The neighborhood is not fully built out yet, and the homes in the newer section(s) are fairly spread out at this time.
~ Most homes (again, within the newer section(s)) are on the man-made canals that run through the neighborhood. Most people seem to have small docks off of which they can fish (catch and release) or launch their kayaks/canoes, or even just "chill" upon. Kayaking through the neighborhood is a lot of fun!
~ The landscaping is beautiful.
~ There is a nice clubhouse (which is about to be expanded) and pool, and there are several FUN community events held there.
~ There is a "lake," (or really big pond) that has a few larger docks, some community grills, and some picnic tables.
~ There are nice neighborhood amenities including a small beach for volleyball, a bocce ball court, tennis courts, the pool, a nice playground, etc.
~ Shopping is close by. There is a Wal-mart just up the street, and a strip shopping center (with a Harris Teeter, hair cutting place, pet supply store, a few restaurants, etc.) "attached" to the neighborhood.
~ The neighborhood is NOT in ANY WAY a "cut through" for others. If you're "in" Waterford, you're there for a reason.
~ There are people of ALL ages, including MANY retirees of all ages.
~ The people are very nice.
~ There are "transplants" from all over the country, so no one would feel like an "outsider" if they are not a native North Carolinian.
~ Wilmington is just up the road. Without bridge traffic, it takes about five minutes to get to the Battleship.
I remember three years ago when we were deciding on a place -- that Waterford did not have a lot of trees around the lots but the 'canals' were beautiful...we wanted more of a forest look and homes less congested together.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:43 AM

562 posts, read 931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
I went through the some process described by the OP. We made a list of most important factors we were looking for in a new location/home to help with our decision. I would suggest you try this course of action, it might help?

We visited all three sites and all three had their pluses and minuses. We finally setting on buying a resale in WRP. I will not knock the other two places. The reasons we settled on WRP are as follows.

1. Water; we wanted access to water and WRP is located on the Lockwood Folly River with quick access to the ICW.
2. Water again; we are about 15 minutes from Holden Beach where WRP has a private parking lot with a beach house with a pool on the beach.
3. We don't play much golf and you are not required to join or support the golf course at WRP since it not owned by WRP.
You can join the course if you so desire.
4. Hospital: there is a hospital close by on US 17.
5. We didn't want to be located close to a shopping center because of the potential problems. We are located about 12 miles from Shallotte which has a Belks; Home Depot and Lowes; nice local restaurants and chains; a great bakery; gas stations and Wal Mart; grocery stores and a library. Southport and Oak Island are about 12 miles the other direction, but we mostly avoid it during the "season".
6. WRP is completely developed and the developer is gone. We know the financials and WRP is financially secure. This is very important.
7. There are a lot activities and you can do as much or as little as you desire. Very friendly people and I assume the other locations are the same since most of the residents are transplants.

Email me if you have any questions. Good luck in your search.
I would listen to Mr. Purple - he made some very good points.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina