U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 AM

22 posts, read 17,977 times

Advertisements

Bumping this thread.

Does anyone know of any currently function moms' or family groups that have activities in the evenings and/or weekends? It seems like the "mommy" sites referenced previously (Greenville Mommies and Pitt Co Moms) are largely defunct now, as their sites have not had significant new content for several years. Browsing around the sites, it seems like they were at their peak between 2008-2012 and pretty much died after that. I am curious as to why that is.

At any point, myself and my family are new to Greenville, and I have an (almost) 12 month old. I would love to find some local moms and/or couples, preferably with similar-aged children, for playdates and such. We have visited some local churches, but have yet to find the one we want to stick around and get involved with. I have also looked into the local MOPS chapter, but it appears they only meet during the mornings, and I work full-time. I have seen posts in other forums in which new moms or new to the area families are looking for such social groups, so I know there is a need for them, I am just having trouble finding something! If you are reading this and are in a similar situation, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
I think the problem with the moms groups is that the Greenville population just doesn't support the continuity of these groups...like you would have in say Raleigh or Charlotte, even Wilmington. Most moms work and use daycares/pre-schools and they get to know parents with kids through those schools.

Probably the kids of the leaders of those groups aged out, and they are now involved in the Parks and Rec program. Maybe consider a part time day care facility where your child can socialize and you could meet a few. I believe PlayDate on Firetower Rd is still open and there may be other Drop-in childcare places. Drop them off at a certain routine time...then ask the workers who they were playing with and see if you can meet that family for other play dates.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 242 times
I would pm you, but I don't know how - I've only ever read posts here, but we moved here this summer and this forum has been incredibly helpful and informative about the area in general. Since I was/am in your shoes (my 2 kids are older, but we needed to meet other kids/families, too), I thought I would chime in and finally registered so I could respond. There are several mom groups on Facebook- I was never a user until moving here this past summer and it was recommended to me by a mom at a park. It is the only reason I am even on there! That has been helpful! Look up playgroups/play dates and Greenville NC, walking moms of Greenville, etc. Most of them are closed groups to keep them safe from predators- the admin has to add you. Usually they will look at your profile to see if you are really a mom, etc. There are lots of SAHMs, but plenty of activities listed for weekends, and some later afternoon play dates. I hope you like it here - we have enjoyed it so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina