U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 13,474 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I have been in Greenville for about 1.5 years. We moved from Wisconsin and took a job at the university. It's been a whirlwind with a new job, fixing up a house, and having a baby. Our little girl is 7 months now. We haven't really met many folks in the area and would like to feel more part of the community. Does anyone know of any kids groups? Or, for that matter, any necomers groups? Or any social group appropriate for a young family? It seems that most social networks are based on the many churches in the area. Any information would be helpful!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM

16 posts, read 47,656 times
I am moving there next year with my husband and 3 small children. Do you like it so far? Are the people "welcoming"???

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM

It's ok. I'm probably not the best person to talk to, as we have been so busy this past year that we haven't had time to make the effort to get out and meet people. Most of the neighbors are nice, though I'm surprised that there are many people on the street who seem to go out of their way to not talk to us. Maybe I should shower more. We moved from Madison, WI, which is also a relatively small town. But, it was very progressive, had a lot to do, and was very green/outdoorsy. These are things that Greenville is not, which is taking some getting used to. There are nice things about the town, proximity to the beach and the southeast, and easy to get around (except for rush hour). I think we'll like it better once we feel more connected to the community. Like I said, it takes effort, which we haven't put forth too well to this point. I also suggest finding a church. We belong to the local Catholic church but have not gotten too involved. It's on our "to-do" list. But, as I said, most social networks seem to revolve around the churches.

So, with that being said, anyone out there know of any groups in Greenville for our little family

Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM

16 posts, read 47,656 times
My husband and I are catholic as well so I will take any advice on churches also. Just a little thing to keep in mind... I moved to NEPA where my husband grew up and did not know anyone. When your child becomes of age to start participating in activities (i.e., sports, dance, pre-school, etc..) it willl make a HUGE difference in your social life and outlet for meeting people!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:10 PM

159 posts, read 554,642 times
Have you tried meetup.com? I punched in the area code for Greenville and did just a couple of types of groups and got some hits. I have NO idea what you'll find, but I've had friends who have had luck finding groups and activities through the same here in the Triangle area.

You're right about the churches - it really does seem to be the social hub in the towns in that area.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 19,267 times
We are moving to Greenville in June, with 2 small children. I am also searching to find playgroups in the area or even where the playgrounds are. We are from Catholic background but we do not go to church, so I guess we'll be in trouble if it all revolves around churches.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the replys. We looked at meetup.com. There's the "little pirates playgroup," but it seems like they're mostly older kids. Of course, our baby is getting older and older all the time. Thanks for the suggestion. We'll check it out! For now, we were looking for more of a parenting group, focusing on issues of younger kids. There are some groups like that on meetup, but not in Greenville.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 19,267 times
GreenvilleMommies.com--Pitt County's Mom-to-Mom Connection

Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 PM

934 posts, read 996,962 times
try meeting other moms and kids at your library story time.

great place to meet other parents!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 PM
PKB

2 posts, read 9,077 times
Default kids groups

Although I don't know first hand I have been told by several young parents in the area that the Greenville Parks and Recreation programs may be an excellent start for you. I actually have had experience with their art and swimming programs and was pretty impressed. Stick around while your kids are there and , knowing southerners, you'll meet plenty of folks with ideas and thoughts to share. Good luck and welcome to Grenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina