U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 9,715 times

Advertisements

Best & Worst Elementary Schools in Wilmington, NC

i can never trust the reviews on goodschools.com. many of the reviews you see are disgruntled parents and students themselves. this site gives the test scores, but it's only public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:00 PM

i can never trust the reviews on goodschools.com. many of the reviews you see are disgruntled parents and students themselves. this site gives the test scores, but it's only public schools.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:03 PM

398 posts, read 370,524 times
This is great site for comparable statistical data:

NC School Report Cards

Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 AM

11,265 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yealink141 View Post

Thanks for posting this web site. It is a good quick comparison for the elementary schools, but it is just one tool. My problem is that it is run by a Realtor who is advertising "cheap houses".

I'd suggest that anyone contemplating moving to the area use several tools, and understand the short-coming of each. The Greatschools website does have reviews from disgruntled parents, however its ratings are mainly based on proficiency scores. It also has student demographics.

The NC ReportCards site also has proficiency scores, but it is out of date. The most recent data is from 2012-13.

I also suggest using Schooldigger.com as a quick comparison tool, but they do not tell you haw they arrived at their ratings.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 AM

398 posts, read 370,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Thanks for posting this web site. It is a good quick comparison for the elementary schools, but it is just one tool. My problem is that it is run by a Realtor who is advertising "cheap houses".

I'd suggest that anyone contemplating moving to the area use several tools, and understand the short-coming of each. The Greatschools website does have reviews from disgruntled parents, however its ratings are mainly based on proficiency scores. It also has student demographics.

The NC ReportCards site also has proficiency scores, but it is out of date. The most recent data is from 2012-13.

I also suggest using Schooldigger.com as a quick comparison tool, but they do not tell you haw they arrived at their ratings.
They've set up a new site for updated data. Here's the link for 2014-15:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...C+Report+Cards

Old 03-15-2016, 07:28 AM

11,265 posts, read 19,810,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
They've set up a new site for updated data. Here's the link for 2014-15:

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...C+Report+Cards
Sorry, but that link give me an error message: The URL has been blocked because it came from an untrusted site, which might be attempting a malicious attack.

Here's a better version of the link: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/src/ It is still extremely difficult to use, and I can't recommend it unless you are very dedicated.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-15-2016 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Very true. I briefly skimmed the excel spreadsheet post as the source. The data looks good for the most part. I'd agree to check as many sources as possible though and ask around. From what I hear Wrightsville is hands down the best.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yealink141 View Post
Very true. I briefly skimmed the excel spreadsheet post as the source. The data looks good for the most part. I'd agree to check as many sources as possible though and ask around. From what I hear Wrightsville is hands down the best.
I thought the list looked about right based on the current situation...there are a lot of variables...

A couple of things in regards to Elementary Schools...

Pay attention to the scores...and particularly the trend of Codington and Eaton going forward. They are always going to be good schools, but there was a not so small change in 2008 in how they enroll students that is gradually changing these two schools. Because of siblings automatically getting in, it takes 5 years or more to see scores change.

Note the Porters Neck Elementary plan...PNE is being built right now, but when finished I believe will house both Wrightsville Beach and then Blair Elementary students while work is done to their schools. Redistricting will not occur until after Blair is finished...likely 2020. That redistricting will have an effect on Blair's district as well as probably Ogden's, Murrayville, etc...

As well, College Park students will be in a temp facility near Laney High School while its building is replaced.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 530 times
I am looking to relocate from southern Ohio due to health issues and also looking for a Hs that will challenge my son and that will prepare him for college . I would like to be close to the ocean since it helps with my health .
I was told by a few teachers where my son attends now ,, that my son is at the top of his class , but he has a slower processing speed which they ignore since his test scores are there , they told me the school is setting him up to be unsuccessful and to fail when he is college material . My son is extremely smart and I want him to attend a school where he can excel and help prepare him for his future .
Please help with suggestions .. thank

Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,457,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaffin68 View Post
I am looking to relocate from southern Ohio due to health issues and also looking for a Hs that will challenge my son and that will prepare him for college . I would like to be close to the ocean since it helps with my health .
I was told by a few teachers where my son attends now ,, that my son is at the top of his class , but he has a slower processing speed which they ignore since his test scores are there , they told me the school is setting him up to be unsuccessful and to fail when he is college material . My son is extremely smart and I want him to attend a school where he can excel and help prepare him for his future .
Please help with suggestions .. thank
If you're interested in Wilmington, I'd suggest contacting the New Hanover County school system and talking to them about your son and what programs they have that would be of benefit to him. The best high school in Wilmington is Hoggard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina