U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hooksett New Hampshire couple relocating to North Carolina; seeking weather information on humidity, like to be one hour from beach

Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 13,567 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am new here. Currently live in Hooksett NH, witch is just north of Manchester and 30 min south of our capital Concord.

Have some ??'s I hear your state just wonderful (I have never been) (wife has been to myrtle beach) We are contimplating moving south (to get away from the winters). And think NC is far enough south but not to far....

I am a skilled Boston Massachusetts Carpenter (yes I make a hour and fifteen min. one way commute everyday). Am worried about pay scale and how to find work and what areas to look at.

An our or so from a building area would be ok, wife & I would also like to be about an hour or closer to beaches (have always been near a beach)

Next is the scary one,,, I am worried about the humidity....( I don't like it) but who does. Any one that reads this know in the north east we get our humid days.. but how does it compare to NC...????

Sorry to babble... any info is great.

Dominick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 02:48 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,282,937 times
To my native New Englander's eyes, the landscape along the coast of NC is kind of bleak--flat. But I chose to live here because I wanted the milder climate and I like the beach. But it lacks the dramatic scenery of New England.

It is very humid along the coast, dewpoints go up to 80 sometimes. It was a shock to me at first but I've adjusted and I much prefer heat & humidity to cold weather. Now I consider a day with a high of 50 degrees to be cold.

As far as the work goes, well, the housing market has slowed down here so I would think the job market's not so good. It would be best to see if you could find work before committing to moving down here.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 13,567 times
Also forgot to mention, We are use to being near major able to get to highways easily. We also like to shop and go out to eat and movies and other things...

Like I said don't have to be on the coast just able to get to it, and have other amenities near by.

Don't want to be stuck in the woods with no stores near by....

This is hard NC is so big (well to me it is) and not knowing what is where....

Old 01-28-2008, 07:02 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,684 times
Smile I like your handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh68gto View Post
Also forgot to mention, We are use to being near major able to get to highways easily. We also like to shop and go out to eat and movies and other things...

Like I said don't have to be on the coast just able to get to it, and have other amenities near by.

Don't want to be stuck in the woods with no stores near by....

This is hard NC is so big (well to me it is) and not knowing what is where....
Having once owned a 68 GTO, I hope you have one tucked away.

You can locate close to the coast and be on four lane highways. However, it is only on Interstate 40 from Raleigh to the coast that you can really enjoy the speed. The speed limit is 70 on most of Interstate 40 east of Raleigh.

Lots of other places the speed limit is 55 and doing much over 60 can get you a ticket.

Raleigh has almost every imaginable store. It is 2 to 2.5 hours from most of the coast that is near Interstate 40. Wilmington has most major stores. Jacksonville and Greenville also have many of the stores you expect in a city.

Having gone to college in Cambridge, Ma. and lived in Atlantic Canada I understand living in NE might give you cause to worry about humidity.

When we first came back to the states from Halifax, NS, we lived in Columbia, MD. I thought we were in steam pressure cooker.

After Columbia, we spent eighteen years in Roanoke, Va. We lived on a mountain there, but it was still hot and humid.

Last year was our first full summer on the coast. We actually really enjoyed the climate for the vast majority of the year. We slept with the windows open all through May and June. There were eight weeks or so in Jul, Aug, and Sept which were hot and humid. However, our temperatures did not get nearly as hot as it did around Raleigh.

We would leave our area, Cape Carteret, and the mid afternoon temperatue would be 93 degrees. By the time we got to Raleigh it would be well over 100 degrees. I know our car thermometer registered 106 once.

Still since we live on the water, there were very few days when we didn't have a nice breeze in the evening. Having centipede grass also helps since it doesn't require a lot of mowing. It does grow more during the hot and humid times.

I mowed a couple of times during the hottest part of the day and did not find it very bad. I don't know if I just got used to the humidity, but I didn't find it bad. Of course we live in shorts most of the year except for about three or four months.

Part of living in the south is getting up early and doing some of that hot work early in the morning so you can call it quits before 4 pm or the hottest part of the day.

As to where to live, the best advice that I can give you is to come visit. We had friends from Boston come down last year in May. They loved visiting the area. They spent three nights on the road, went through Assateague, Nags Head, and Ocracoke. They took the Ocracoke Ferry to Cedar Island and then finished with a short drive of 1.5 hours to our area.

We're only 1.5 hours from Wilmington. You can get a pretty good idea of what the area is all about. You may or may not want to do the Nags Head-Hatteras-Ocracoke run since that is more isolated that I gather you want to be.

Coastal NC is a wonderful place fully of friendly people. I think what you will find is that the milder fall, winter, and spring will more than make up for the few weeks of humidity.

I personally think being close to the water helps you stay cool. We walk on the beach most evenings, and enjoy taking the boat out much of the year.

There is plenty of construction still taking place. In March builders will be starting the first homes in a major high end subdivision called Cannonsgate. There are over five hundred lots there. Of course it is only one many projects scattered along the coast. It seems much of the nation wants to move here.

As to the landscape being bleak, I don't find that at all. There's lots of gorgeous water and beaches.

The marshes have a special beauty that really grows on you. These are shots from Down East near Cedar Island where the Ocracoke ferry lands.

You're also only about five hours from the NC or Virginia mountains. So if you need lots of fall foliage, we have it. A Massachusetts friend of mine who moved down this year, claimed that this fall was as nice as Vermont. I won't make that claim, but it is pretty good.

Just do a Google search on Coastal NC Paradise, and you'll likely run into plenty that I have written about the area.

I would also be glad to answer general questions. I was born in Charlotte, grew up near Mount Airy and have a serious case of sand addiction which started before I could walk and has continued for over fifty years.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-28-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Left out word "Ocracoke"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina