U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:54 AM

108 posts, read 342,008 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm going to be moving to the Morehead City area in about 6-8 months. I'm looking for a decent paying job starting at least $11 an hour. I'm experienced in restaurant and currently doing warehouse work. Any job suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:52 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
That's great that you're moving to our area!

Kind of hard to do a job search 6-8 months ahead of time, but Morehead City (MC) should have jobs in the areas you mentioned.

Don't know about the rate of pay, but you might want to check with Lowes, Best Buy, Kmart, Walmart and such for warehouse jobs. Also, there are more big box stores being built right now and they may be hiring when you arrive...

If you come 6-8 months from now, you'll be arriving kind of at the end of the busiest of the summer season for restaurants, so that may make it a little harder--but then again, once the school and college kids return to school in Sept., the restaurants are hungry for good employees, so that may work in your favor.

Check out the local newspaper's help wanted section for more info--it's the Carteret News Times and their help wanted section is on line: The Carteret County News-Times Online Edition

Best of luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM

Cool thanx!

thanx dolphin for all the info. i was a little worried about employment because morehead is small, but it sounds promising!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 AM

Default distribution centers?

are they any distribution centers near or around morehead city?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Here's a job opening at Henry's Tackle in their warehouse: Warehouse / Distribution Center Manager Jobs in North Carolina (http://www.ihirelogistics.com/jobs.asp?State=North+Carolina&job=Warehouse+%2F+Di stribution+Center+Manager - broken link)

And another suggestion is to do a Google search for "distribution center Morehead City NC" and see what pops up--I did and found the above opening and a link to the Port of Morehead City, which is definitely a distribution center...there are other listings that might interest you, too.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:05 PM

thanx again lilltledolphin for all the info!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile You might want to check some of the upper end restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
Hi, I'm going to be moving to the Morehead City area in about 6-8 months. I'm looking for a decent paying job starting at least $11 an hour. I'm experienced in restaurant and currently doing warehouse work. Any job suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
You didn't mention what you restaurant experience is, but there are a number of higher end restaurants from Beaufort all the way down to Swansboro.

Some of them take the month of January off, but you often see them advertising in early spring so as LittleDolphin says watch the Carteret County News.

The only problem I have noticed is that some of the display ads don't seem to make it into the classifieds. You might want to think about subscribing to the Sunday paper for a few months.

Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM

thanx dsobotta. My experience in restaurant is short order cook and waiting tables. Dou think a higher end restauraant would give me a chance?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:06 PM

From what I hear about working in a high end restaurant is that if you're:

dependable
courteous
willing to learn
a team player
without attitude
knowledgeable (or willing to learn) about food and wine...then

...you'll be much in demand as a food server.

Do keep in mind that the more high-end is the restaurant, the more the customers expect in fine service so meeting their expectations can be at times, a bit challenging..but then, so are the rewards.

If you find a congenial place that's willing to train in fine food service then you've learned a profession that you can take with you almost anywhere in the world. It's an art.

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-29-2008 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile Hard to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbottles View Post
thanx dsobotta. My experience in restaurant is short order cook and waiting tables. Do think a higher end restaurant would give me a chance?
I know that finding good help down here is hard. While it isn't a "high-end" restaurant, Mike's in Emerald Isle is looking for a breakfast cook. We saw the job on the door when we had lunch there this afternoon.

It is a favorite spot with locals and tourists. They close at 2 pm each day, so there is still plenty of beach time.

You can find contact info at VisitNC (http://www.visitnc.com/tools_search_detail.asp?propertyid=38374 - broken link).

Good luck.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-29-2008 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: left word out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina