Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 02:01 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,014,288 times

Advertisements

I read all these threads and I consistently see people looking for walkable towns that have numerous amenities. The problem is that in the South it's a relatively new phenomena and its harder and usually more expensive to find. The requests of today's home shoppers are much different then what was desired in the past. There are very few areas in NC, even in the larger metros that fit today's utopian vision. They just don't have the population density to drive the all inclusive play and work in your neighborhood theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 02:52 PM

9 posts, read 13,390 times
Hi cyn7cyn,

Thank you for your response and I have to agree. I noticed that even in our town with the exception of the old (Central Business District) many of the neighborhoods do not have sidewalks. I think the walkability is not as important as a municipal structure. Is there an area with the feel of a town, a structure of an established area. I really appreciate everyone's view and helpfulness as we assess whether or not to move to Onslow. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:19 PM

goldenage1 and others,

I noticed you mentioned Richlands as a possible town to consider. I drove through the town, and while it is small it seems like a nice area and one that is growing. Does anyone know much about this town?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackdane View Post
I noticed you mentioned Richlands as a possible town to consider. I drove through the town, and while it is small it seems like a nice area and one that is growing. Does anyone know much about this town?
It has numerous older houses in the town center. Some are bungalows from the 1920's would be good candidates for renovation. The shops in the town also have the potential to develop into that cute, walkable downtown that people seem to want.

Richlands is still surrounded by rich farmland growing soybeans, sweet potatoes and other crops. Some of that has been converted into housing developments. There are many new houses available at good values. It is also a place you could buy several acres and build a custom house. There is decent, basic shopping there: a new Walmart, several convenience stores and fast food outlets. There is also a winery down a country road, and it has tastings and a shop.

The schools are decent but not great. It is very convenient to the OAJ airport at about 15 minutes away, and about 20 minutes to downtown Jacksonville. It is more like 45 minutes away from the beaches.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-28-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Thanks goldenage1,

This may be a good spot to check for rental as the location would not be far from the office and we can get a better idea of the area. As for the beaches and distance, that is not too much of a deal breaker. We appreciate your valuable insight and will take this area (and the others you suggested) into consideration. Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:31 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,782,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpackdane View Post
This may be a good spot to check for rental as the location would not be far from the office and we can get a better idea of the area.
Agreed. It would be relatively low-stress commute to either OAJ or the Western Blvd. area. It is fortunate you would not have to go into Camp Lejeune, as there are long back-ups at the gates.

There are normally plenty of rentals because the military people have to move every 2-3 years.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:11 AM

107 posts, read 255,619 times
Homesforheroes.com/affiliate/steven_mccurdy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina