U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2015, 06:50 PM
 
2,784 posts, read 7,340,852 times
Reputation: 2801

Advertisements

This article was a huge eye opener for me!
The Scam - MovingScam.com

Amazing!
Thanks again biscman for sharing your experience>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:31 AM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,966,178 times
Reputation: 381
Well. this will knock your socks off. Last night around 11 pm I get a call on my cell from some Russian guy. He calls to tell me he has my balance of goods and will deliver at 8 am. So 8 am rolls around and nothing, get a call at 9 am, same Russian guy saying truck broke down. Same story with delivery #1. So we figure another bunch of BS. All of a sudden at 10:30 a Budget Rental truck pulls up and there are 2 young kids, maybe 20 at most, ring door bell and they were from the moving company. They had about 90% of the balance of our goods but a number of the dining room chairs broke, beds all scratched, etc. But the good news was my wife got all the pictures of the kids growing up back and none of them were missing.... So after they finished unloading I told them to hold up,. I told them that they work for a bunch of people that ultimately they will get caught and they would end up in jail. Their response was they knew the owners were crooked but the pay good and to stay in USA they need the money and company pays good. They were very apologetic for what we went through but I told them they better get a job that will keep them out of jail. I than asked them where their next delivery was as we didn't take up the whole truck. Their response was they were just called to drive packed truck to NC, once they unloaded our stuff they were to call their contact and they would be told where to deliver balance of truck...

Unbelievable story, if it didn't happen to us it would be hard to believe. Life goes on................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,955 posts, read 7,398,977 times
Reputation: 16293
So, the heat has been turned up on these fine people and they are getting nervous. I doubt that they did this because they were feeling guilty. Glad to hear you got most of your things. Good advice to these kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 01:31 PM
 
58 posts, read 63,344 times
Reputation: 28
My family just moved here from NJ and we heard horror stories so ended up renting a truck paying for labor only so truck was packed for us but my husband drove the truck then we paid for labor to have unpacked. This worked out for us oerfectky and was a quarter of cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,860 posts, read 15,159,246 times
Reputation: 9706
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Well. this will knock your socks off. Last night around 11 pm I get a call on my cell from some Russian guy. He calls to tell me he has my balance of goods and will deliver at 8 am. So 8 am rolls around and nothing, get a call at 9 am, same Russian guy saying truck broke down. Same story with delivery #1. So we figure another bunch of BS. All of a sudden at 10:30 a Budget Rental truck pulls up and there are 2 young kids, maybe 20 at most, ring door bell and they were from the moving company. They had about 90% of the balance of our goods but a number of the dining room chairs broke, beds all scratched, etc. But the good news was my wife got all the pictures of the kids growing up back and none of them were missing.... So after they finished unloading I told them to hold up,. I told them that they work for a bunch of people that ultimately they will get caught and they would end up in jail. Their response was they knew the owners were crooked but the pay good and to stay in USA they need the money and company pays good. They were very apologetic for what we went through but I told them they better get a job that will keep them out of jail. I than asked them where their next delivery was as we didn't take up the whole truck. Their response was they were just called to drive packed truck to NC, once they unloaded our stuff they were to call their contact and they would be told where to deliver balance of truck...

Unbelievable story, if it didn't happen to us it would be hard to believe. Life goes on................

Can you tell us why you didn't use a professional long distance mover ? or at least get quotes from 3 of them ? (sorry to hear about your terrible experience)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 05:18 PM
 
562 posts, read 933,339 times
Reputation: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Well. this will knock your socks off. Last night around 11 pm I get a call on my cell from some Russian guy. He calls to tell me he has my balance of goods and will deliver at 8 am. So 8 am rolls around and nothing, get a call at 9 am, same Russian guy saying truck broke down. Same story with delivery #1. So we figure another bunch of BS. All of a sudden at 10:30 a Budget Rental truck pulls up and there are 2 young kids, maybe 20 at most, ring door bell and they were from the moving company. They had about 90% of the balance of our goods but a number of the dining room chairs broke, beds all scratched, etc. But the good news was my wife got all the pictures of the kids growing up back and none of them were missing.... So after they finished unloading I told them to hold up,. I told them that they work for a bunch of people that ultimately they will get caught and they would end up in jail. Their response was they knew the owners were crooked but the pay good and to stay in USA they need the money and company pays good. They were very apologetic for what we went through but I told them they better get a job that will keep them out of jail. I than asked them where their next delivery was as we didn't take up the whole truck. Their response was they were just called to drive packed truck to NC, once they unloaded our stuff they were to call their contact and they would be told where to deliver balance of truck...

Unbelievable story, if it didn't happen to us it would be hard to believe. Life goes on................
Unbelieveable!! I am sooo happy you rec'd your personal items back - hell with the scratches in the furniture - that is easy enough to fix!! I would be so upset to lose all those memories....those photos are priceless. My husband and i already figured we would drive all that kind of stuff - plus personal break-ables down in our two SUV's....along with our Kitty !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 03:40 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,966,178 times
Reputation: 381
All good questions. I Googled Atlas Van Lines, United Van lines and a couple of other national carriers. The reviews for them was as bad if not in some cases worse than the reviews I read at the time on Classic Moving Services. When we moved from Charlotte to NJ 8 years ago we paid 6100, so this movers quote of 5900 seemed in line. Other company quotes I received were all in the 6000.00 range. I gave the NJ police dept so many pictures and phone numbers, address;s, names etc... They just blew it off. I think a lot has to do I am no longer a resident of NJ......I find it amazing authorities can't shut down their phones. If one was to call them today they are taking on new customers like everything is normal...

Amazing....


Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What a horrible experience ! May I ask why you didn't get bona fide quotes and interview at least 3 reputable long-distance movers. Atlas Van Lines, United Van Lines, and so forth. So sorry you had that experience, I've never heard of such an expensive move simply from NJ to NC. It is also amazing that you don't have any recourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Blue Ridge Mntns., NC
10,860 posts, read 15,159,246 times
Reputation: 9706
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
All good questions. I Googled Atlas Van Lines, United Van lines and a couple of other national carriers. The reviews for them was as bad if not in some cases worse than the reviews I read at the time on Classic Moving Services. When we moved from Charlotte to NJ 8 years ago we paid 6100, so this movers quote of 5900 seemed in line. Other company quotes I received were all in the 6000.00 range. I gave the NJ police dept so many pictures and phone numbers, address;s, names etc... They just blew it off. I think a lot has to do I am no longer a resident of NJ......I find it amazing authorities can't shut down their phones. If one was to call them today they are taking on new customers like everything is normal...

Amazing....

Do you have any recourse through the NJ Attorney General's Office ? or do you know, or can get, at attorney in NJ? The AG's office usually has a 'Consumer' division in most states. You paid an incredibly high price, what they did is a crime ! they should be held accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM
 
1,089 posts, read 1,966,178 times
Reputation: 381
Actually that what I am going to do tomorrow while waiting for the Ark!!!!
Never saw rain like this in 61 years...



Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Do you have any recourse through the NJ Attorney General's Office ? or do you know, or can get, at attorney in NJ? The AG's office usually has a 'Consumer' division in most states. You paid an incredibly high price, what they did is a crime ! they should be held accountable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2015, 06:04 AM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,755,254 times
Reputation: 6451
The most effective way to get a good moving company is by personal recommendation. We have never failed or had any problem when we used a company recommended by friends/associates. We have moved a lot, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top