U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM

784 posts, read 1,635,462 times

Advertisements

1st of all, 6 inches of water in some spots of a roadway is NOT what we call flooding around here, we just drive through it.... 2nd of all just left the Founders Club watching football and the Polly Gully bridges is just now getting an inch of water on the roadway, maybe more to come, which is the only spot that ever really gets significant water and it just may be closed later depending on the amount or rain that is likely, but that is really the lowest point and is subject to closure because of the rain.... maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 01:33 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,204,220 times
The rain was heaviest, and the water around the house highest about an hour ago. Water in the swells at the house has gone down at least 6 inches or more. That will help if we get another heavy downpour.

I just now got a message from the POA that the Polly Gully bridge is now closed but may be opened again in about an hour. The next high tide is around midnight tonight.

I got a call from a neighbor earlier that has lived here for almost 20 years and the water levels today are about as high as they have seen with the exception of 2 hurricanes about 7 days apart a few years back. I'm thinking that is good news if I am seeing some of the worst because its not so bad. Of course 60+ mile and hour winds added to the mix would be kinda rough but not today. Thank goodness.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:44 PM

784 posts, read 1,635,462 times
Ditchie you are correct, with the huge amount of rain we have and the "flatness" of the entire terrain, this is about as bad as it gets and that ain't too bad, the bridge being "closed" for a few hours with a few inches on the roadway of the bridge with all this rain is simply not that catastrophic..... especially compared to some of the surrounding areas which get flooded badly.... ie Oak Island and down south in parts of Shallotte, Calabash and Ocean Isle Beach.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,965,324 times
empty lot next to me looks pretty flooded in Ocean Ridge but all streets in great shape. Most of the runoff going down the sewer, So far all good. Poor people in Brunswick Plantation, just saw photos on Facebook. Many lawsuits to follow.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,539,424 times
Just curious. Suppose you are not in a Flood Zone, but decide to get Flood Insurance just in case......is the insurance cheaper than someone in a Flood Zone ??

Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,815,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Just curious. Suppose you are not in a Flood Zone, but decide to get Flood Insurance just in case......is the insurance cheaper than someone in a Flood Zone ??
Everything is in a flood zone, the chances are simply higher in some areas than others. But the answer to your question is yes, the price is lower if you are in a zone with a minimal chance of flooding.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 AM

4,657 posts, read 7,718,593 times
You folks lucked out so far with accumulation! Hopefully, that luck continues today!!!!!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:40 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,815,901 times
The main entrance to St. James on Hwy. 211 is closed due to flooding.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:55 PM

152 posts, read 183,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
The main entrance to St. James on Hwy. 211 is closed due to flooding.

Apparently it is still closed. I wonder if there is more flooding in SJP?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:46 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,204,220 times
We went about 5 hours without rain today and many of the ponds and ares with standing water drained a good bit.

Polly Gully bridge was intermittently closed last night for safety when maybe 6 inches of water was flowing over it in conjunction with high tide.

There were areas with standing water in the streets, mostly between Polly Gully and the ICW.

The little wooden bridge at the intersection of SJ Drive and Players Club (Beaver-dam Creek) was full with rushing water.

At least one grass carp was chased down a ditch back into the pond it came from.

Everyone spoken to commend on how this much water and flooding is extremely rare.

The SJP Emergency alert system appears to work well. I received a number of automated phone calls, e-mails, and text messages with safety information in a timely manner.

I do not know everything that went on or if there was any significant water damage to anyone's home. One person I talked with said they had gotten some water backed up into their garage. It sounded fairly trivial.

Overall I am sure there was some anxiety but mostly SJP has fared well.

We got another light shower about an hour ago but it appears the bulk of the storm has passed. In another day or two I'm sure it will be sunny, warm and humid as hell.

Its going to take a few days for all the creeks to recede and for everything to dry out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or