U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 10:49 AM

46 posts, read 58,618 times

Advertisements

Hey my wife and I are in retail (cell phone) industry...She works at Sprint and has a transfer to Jacksonville..And I work at us cellular and also can transfer to jacksonville...Sneads Ferry-Jacksonville area a nice are for people who aren't in the military? We were hoping to find something in the Southport-Wilmington area but nothings available currently for us to transfer... We currently reside in Wisconsin now and want to move closer to the ocean..I'm originally from the coast of Connecticut so I'm used to the beach living....We want to rent a house for 1st yr and then buy one after we settle in...Just looking for some input before we make this big move..thanks guys

PS
Is there a huge difference between the sneads ferry-jax area vs Southport-Wilmington area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 11:16 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
Hey my wife and I are in retail (cell phone) industry...She works at Sprint and has a transfer to Jacksonville..And I work at us cellular and also can transfer to jacksonville...Sneads Ferry-Jacksonville area a nice are for people who aren't in the military? We were hoping to find something in the Southport-Wilmington area but nothings available currently for us to transfer... We currently reside in Wisconsin now and want to move closer to the ocean..I'm originally from the coast of Connecticut so I'm used to the beach living....We want to rent a house for 1st yr and then buy one after we settle in...Just looking for some input before we make this big move..thanks guys

PS
Is there a huge difference between the sneads ferry-jax area vs Southport-Wilmington area?
There is a regular poster here who lives in Sneads Ferry and can fill you in on the area.

In regard to your last question, my answer is a huge yes.

Here are some existing threads on Jacksonville:

Possible relocation to Jacksonville area...would like any helpful information
Relocating to Jacksonville area
Moving from Raleigh to Jacksonville
Looks like Jacksonville NC is the place were gonna be....number of questions...
Moving to Onslow County NC, I need some advice

Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM

46 posts, read 58,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
There is a regular poster here who lives in Sneads Ferry and can fill you in on the area.

In regard to your last question, my answer is a huge yes.

Here are some existing threads on Jacksonville:

Possible relocation to Jacksonville area...would like any helpful information
Relocating to Jacksonville area
Moving from Raleigh to Jacksonville
Looks like Jacksonville NC is the place were gonna be....number of questions...
Moving to Onslow County NC, I need some advice

whats the big differences between the 2? Pros and cons..thanks

Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexeclipse2007 View Post
whats the big differences between the 2? Pros and cons..thanks
Hello - I live in Sneads Ferry.

The Pros of Sneads Ferry/Jacksonville: 1. Lower housing prices. 2. Lower taxes. 3. Larger lots (probably)
4. Less crowded beaches. 5. All the basic shopping is there. 6. Very safe neighborhoods. 7. Generally little traffic. 8. Everyone is friendly.

The Cons: 1. Noise from the military activities include artillery firing and helicopters. 2. Jacksonville is not beautiful or charming, while Southport and many parts of Wilmington are beautiful. 3. No sophisticated restaurants, just chains and fried seafood. 4. Wilmington has more sophisticated entertainment options, museums, arts, shopping etc. 5. Schools are average, not exceptional. 6. Parts of North Topsail Beach are eroding badly.

This should be enough to go on. We enjoy Sneads Ferry, but we are retired and don't need nightlife or sophisticated restaurants. If you have the opportunity to transfer to Jacksonville, I think you should take it. It is easy enough to drive to Wilmington if you need a night on the town or a day of shopping. You get used to the infrequent military noise, and learn to think of it as "the sound of freedom".

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-05-2015 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina