U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 10:33 AM

592 posts, read 1,197,399 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

Anyone have any experience or recommendations for getting started finding an assisted living facility for our aging parents in (or near) Wilmington NC?

Cost is, of course, a factor. Anyone have any actual figures based on experience with specific facilities?

Our parents have their own home in Wilmington, but it is getting to be too much for them, and we need to have our facts together before presenting them to our parents for consideration.

Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 AM

11,273 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Anyone have any experience or recommendations for getting started finding an assisted living facility for our aging parents in (or near) Wilmington NC?

Cost is, of course, a factor. Anyone have any actual figures based on experience with specific facilities?

Our parents have their own home in Wilmington, but it is getting to be too much for them, and we need to have our facts together before presenting them to our parents for consideration. !
My first question would be whether they need a memory care facility. If so, I could suggest a place near Jacksonville, as a friend has her mother there.

The second question would be whether they could live at home with the right kind of help, or whether they truly need a live-in facility. There has been a lot of advertising from a firm called "Home Instead" which offers in-home care. If they were my parents, I would check into this kind of firm first.

If you are not near-by, could you get a social worker to assess them? One you have an objective picture of their actual needs, then it is more realistic to talk about costs. There is, naturally, a big difference in cost depending on what they need.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 AM

10,703 posts, read 11,344,124 times
If you can afford it I highly recommend looking into a CCRC rather than a stand alone Assisted Living place. As folks get older their health needs often fluctuate a lot. If one of them gets pneumonia and needs to be hospitalized when they're ready to discharged the hospital may want them to have rehab (Medicare may cover, if the hospital stay meets the criteria) and an Assisted Living facility won't have that capability so you'd have to be moving from place to place.

We're going through this with an elderly aunt right now (she doesn't have kids). She moved from her home to an independent senior center, but had to be hospitalized last winter and has never been able to make it back to the senior center, but has been bouncing around from hospital to rehab and this week rehab wanted to move her on to a nursing home, but she got sick again and had to go back to the hospital, so now we don't know where she will go when she gets out of the hospital.

My mom was in a CCRC and I can't say enough good things about it. She went in independent in her own apartment, moved to assisted w/in the same facility, then to their nursing facility. She had a couple of hospitalizations in there, too but they were able to cover most of her needs on-site at the CCRC.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:27 PM

592 posts, read 1,197,399 times
Thank you so much for your replies, goldenage1 and poppydog!

I was not familiar with the CCRC concept, and will have to look into that.

We really would like for them to stay in their own home as long as safely possible. My father gets some aid and attendance from the VA, but now we think that they need more. In-home care is something we will be investigating, as well.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM

29,819 posts, read 34,912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Thank you so much for your replies, goldenage1 and poppydog!

I was not familiar with the CCRC concept, and will have to look into that.

We really would like for them to stay in their own home as long as safely possible. My father gets some aid and attendance from the VA, but now we think that they need more. In-home care is something we will be investigating, as well.
We have visited and toured Carolina Bay at Autumn Hall. A new and soon to open location close to Wrightsvill e Beach. Expensive but a very nice CCRC.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 AM

38 posts, read 18,194 times
I am having Assisted living service for my parents from Glynn Taff Assisted Living in Catonsville & Baltimore, Maryland and they are charging me $2,850.00 per month. I think their service is quite good. I haven't get any complain from my parents yet. But when you are going to choose any assisted living please compare their service and cost. This is the first time for me with any assisted living service. So I can only share my experience. My parents are getting
Three time meals
Exercise
Gas and Electric
Certified Nursing Assistants available 24 hours a day
Monthly review by a licensed nurse of all doctor’s orders cross-referenced with medications to ensure accuracy

Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM

11,273 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We have visited and toured Carolina Bay at Autumn Hall. A new and soon to open location close to Wrightsvill e Beach. Expensive but a very nice CCRC.
Does anyone know people who currently live at Carolina Bay at Autumn Hall? They have been open foe a year now.

It looks very nice, but I imagine it is expensive. They have an indoor pool and exercise facilities. The food is offered in four separate restaurants.

I have aged enough that I would think about getting away from house maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina