U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 5,290 times

Advertisements

I am new to this but thought it was a great way to get some insider info.. I am looking to relocate to the coastal NC area in the next 6 months. I am a MA native, and currently live about 45 minutes from Boston and love it. I am looking for a change though because I've lived here all my life and fear that if I don't venture outside of my comfort zone now, I never will.

I just turned 30 and would be moving alone, looking for a nice, affordable but hopefully spacious apartment. I enjoy being less than an hour from the city, but would LOVE to be just as close to a nice beach as well. I want to live somewhere with good restaurants and night life that is fun and exciting, but not too college-y.

I am a Recruiter so I hope to find somewhere with a strong, growing job market. I was excited to read a few articles that listed Raleigh among the top cities for jobs. I would be willing to commute up to an hour to get that city/suburb balance. Also looking for somewhere pretty diverse, as that's what I'm used to.

I realize this is long, so thanks for reading.. any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,051,431 times
Honestly, Charleston, SC sounds more like what you're looking for, as opposed to what coastal NC has to offer.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:37 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,844,975 times
Well, Raleigh is 2 hours from the beach, so I guess you could live half way in between and have a 1 hour commute and be within an hour of the beach, but that will put you in a small, not very diverse, unexciting town.

Your best bet in NC is Wilmington.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:29 AM

11,308 posts, read 19,906,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_lane View Post
I am a Recruiter so I hope to find somewhere with a strong, growing job market. I was excited to read a few articles that listed Raleigh among the top cities for jobs.
Raleigh would be a much better bet for a fast growing job market than the coast. Wilmington is a nice smaller city (about 110,000) but it does not have the large market for technolocy jobs that the Triangle has. Wilmington has health care and hospitality jobs.

If you absolutely have to be closer to the coast, then look into the Virginia Beach area, the Charleston area, or maybe Jacksonville Florida.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:49 AM

11,308 posts, read 19,906,966 times
Quote:
I am a Recruiter so I hope to find somewhere with a strong, growing job market. I was excited to read a few articles that listed Raleigh among the top cities for jobs.
I also saw the CNN article. If you found a job in Raleigh, you would be 2 to 2.5 hours from the beach even if you lived in one of the outer suburbs. I suggest doing some reading in the Raeigh/Durham/Chapel Hill sub-forum. There are plenty of threads on where young professionals live.

If you were to live half-way to the beach, that would put you somewhere like Goldsboro. As others will tell you, it is a small city surrounded by farmland, and not very interesting or diverse. I'd suggest sticking to the Raleigh suburbs.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 AM

7 posts, read 5,290 times
Thank you to everyone for your insight! Other than a few trips to vacation in FL, I have never really left New England. I appreciate everyone letting me know that I may not find what I am looking for in coastal NC (if an hour from the city and the beach puts me in the farmlands, I am not sure I am up for that!), and should look at other parts of the state, or consider Charleston SC. I am certainly open and will continue to do my research.

Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2015, 12:13 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,824,425 times
I would actually give a closer look at Wilmington. It is a smaller job market and not 'known' for IT but I think you could sustain work of the type that you do.

It's also better at retaining its cultural heritage than somewhere like the triangle.

Charleston does too but it's becoming a hot place to live which increases COL pressures.

Wilmington is great city with a large youth contingent

Old 10-14-2015, 10:30 AM

10,405 posts, read 19,493,937 times
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for your insight! Other than a few trips to vacation in FL, I have never really left New England. I appreciate everyone letting me know that I may not find what I am looking for in coastal NC (if an hour from the city and the beach puts me in the farmlands, I am not sure I am up for that!), and should look at other parts of the state, or consider Charleston SC. I am certainly open and will continue to do my research.
Yeah, somehow I'm not surprised you have never been to NC by your question: we really have no "cities" at all on the coast. There is Wilmington, but it's a small city and I don't think there's a really booming industry that would need recruiters (also a university town). As others say, look into Virginia (the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area) and SC (Charleston) or GA (Savannah) if you want a "city" that's also on the coast in the Southeast. Not sure why you chose NC.

I would strongly recommend a visit to some of the above places before seriously considering moving to any of them, to see whether it's what you think it is, especially if you've never been outside of New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or