U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 PM

385 posts, read 531,708 times

Advertisements

How do the ferries work, i mean do they run all day? evenings? 7 days a week? cost? Being from MN I have never used a car ferry. I plan to visit Wilmington / Outer Banks / Southport hopefully starting this weekend and I don't know ANYthing about ferries especially in the area. Can I drive my car onto a ferry in Southport and get to that Oak Island and then what, can I drive up to the outer banks using other ferries etc? Again, cut a midwestern guy from northern MN a little slack, this is a foreign world to me, the coast, ferries, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,117,655 times
All the ferries are run by NCDOT so it makes finding info about them pretty easy as it's all in one place:

NCDOT: Ferry Division

Old 10-19-2015, 05:15 PM

11,250 posts, read 19,764,244 times
You could get to the Outer Banks by ferry, but you do not have to use them. If you wanted to use the ferry, you could drive to Cedar Island and take it across the sound to Ocracoke Island. It is very scenic, but you should check the web site for schedule and reservation information. Also check for a place to stay on Ocracoke before you go, as it is very quiet.

Getting to Cedar Island from Wilmington, you would drive north on 17 to 24, then 70 and 12.

The land route to get to the Outer Banks is to drive further north on 17 until it intersects US 64, and drive east to Nags Head. Nags Head is the more active and touristy part of th OBX.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:02 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,629,511 times
well, a map is going to be your friend.
One can drive to Southport/Oak island or one can drive to Fort Fisher and take the
ferry to Southport/Oak Island. Once you get off the ferry in Southport you will have to drive further
to reach Oak Island. These places are south of Wilmington , outer banks is way north of
Wilmington. Are you planning on visiting both areas in one week-end? if so you will be
spending most of the time in your car driving and will be hard pressed to enjoy any of it.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 AM

385 posts, read 531,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
well, a map is going to be your friend.
One can drive to Southport/Oak island or one can drive to Fort Fisher and take the
ferry to Southport/Oak Island. Once you get off the ferry in Southport you will have to drive further
to reach Oak Island. These places are south of Wilmington , outer banks is way north of
Wilmington. Are you planning on visiting both areas in one week-end? if so you will be
spending most of the time in your car driving and will be hard pressed to enjoy any of it.
I am flexible, plan to camp Carolina Beach, and use motels; check out Wilmington a few days, then can drive/ferry to Outer Banks, Southport, Oak Island etc and just stay in motels. Thought of doing airbnb week but then I am locked into one location. Ultimate plan is check out Wilmington, Southport, Outer Banks, then move south along the coast and get down to Florida to meet up with a friend in Tampa and also scout out Florida (never been there, never been to east coast NC etc) and decide to live in Wilmington area or Florida; my guess if NC because I don't do well with blazing hot humid weather year long-- I can do 6 months if needed of such heat index in Wilmington because in MN I had six months of winter where you are indoors lots from the cold-- at least in Wilmington i would not have to shovel, scrape, or slide on the road from heat.

I am currently in a Jack Reacher (movie, Tom Cruise) situation--- sold my house a year ago just ended an apt lease, so I have nowhere to call home but i also have no lease and no house, no apt, so my living costs of motels and such are offset by no rent or mortgage. Living out of my car, camping, hotels, vacation rentals; getting old, I want desperately to find a city to call home! I don't want to go back to Duluth MN if I can avoid it, six months of winter a year stinks.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:17 AM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
The ferries are fun, but not usually the fastest way to get anywhere. The only places you HAVE to use a ferry are Bald Head Island (country club type resort) and Ocracoke. If you have any more questions after you check the link StAndroid posted come back and ask, but that should have all the info you need to know.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:12 PM

4,956 posts, read 2,196,692 times
I am not sure of your itinerary or time allotment ... but ....

"The Outer Banks" is generally considered to be the northern islands of NC, from Corolla, Killdevel Hills, Nags Head, all the way down to Ocracoke.

From there you can ferry to Cedar Island then drive to Beaufort, Morehead City and down 24, 17 via Jacksonville, Wilmington and out to Carolina Beach Fort Fisher where you can ferry over to Southport. Then you can drive out to Oak Island and points south into Myrtle Beach.

Depending on the time you spend in the car, this is probably at least a two day trip. To actually see and enjoy what NC has to offer I would think about spending a week or more.

Check the ferry schedule on the site listed above. Plan ahead. The ferries are punctual and reasonably priced. They do not run 7/24. The last ferry may be early evening and at times they are full. I would call ahead and make a reservation, especially the Fort Fisher, Southport ferry. You can skip the Fort Fisher, Southport and drive around but it is not as much fun in my opinion and the travel time will be similar.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:34 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I am not sure of your itinerary or time allotment ... but ....

"The Outer Banks" is generally considered to be the northern islands of NC, from Corolla, Killdevel Hills, Nags Head, all the way down to Ocracoke.

From there you can ferry to Cedar Island then drive to Beaufort, Morehead City and down 24, 17 via Jacksonville, Wilmington and out to Carolina Beach Fort Fisher where you can ferry over to Southport. Then you can drive out to Oak Island and points south into Myrtle Beach.

Depending on the time you spend in the car, this is probably at least a two day trip. To actually see and enjoy what NC has to offer I would think about spending a week or more.

Check the ferry schedule on the site listed above. Plan ahead. The ferries are punctual and reasonably priced. They do not run 7/24. The last ferry may be early evening and at times they are full. I would call ahead and make a reservation, especially the Fort Fisher, Southport ferry. You can skip the Fort Fisher, Southport and drive around but it is not as much fun in my opinion and the travel time will be similar.
You can make a reservation on the Southport/Ft. Fisher ferry?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 PM

10,670 posts, read 11,292,569 times
Maybe he meant The Cedar Island ferry?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,196,692 times
Sorry -- Cedar Island Ocracoke and Swanquarter Ocracoke ferry is the only one you can reserve. Others are first come first serve. During the busy season, get there early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina