Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:00 AM

83 posts, read 366,650 times

Advertisements

...since folks don't want to see both sides of the issue on the other thread...I will start a new thread. Look...you can continue to ignore the warnings from mother nature if you choose...but the fact of the matter is that a devestating storm is on the way for the Carolina Coast. It could be this year...next or who knows when. These are the facts.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,199,038 times
You'd have to have your head way up your a$$ not to be aware of that risk before moving here; to me, again, it's a trade-off. To get away from the freezing cold I have to accept the heat, humidity, and risk of hurricanes.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:52 AM

7,060 posts, read 12,569,030 times
Yep, the Eastern coastal regions get hurricanes once in awhile. It's true; undeniable.

Let's see, the Western coastal regions get earthquakes, huge fires, torrential rains and landslides. That's also true and undeniable. And the Western mountains get enormous blizzards, like the one the other day that dumped 10 feet of snow in the Sierra mountains of California.

Now the midwest gets floods or droughts, tornados, blistering heat in the summer and hard freezes and ice storms and blizzards in the winter.

Other Western states such as Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada are undergoing droughts and who knows how long their water supplies will last unless they get more rain? Except poor Fernly Nevada which was flooded yesterday when a drainage canal burst and flooded the town and its houses.

My point? There's weather everywhere--good and bad. Too much rain--or not enough. Too hot, too cold, too humid, too cloudy, too foggy. Land shakes, burns, slides, floods, and gets windy from tornados or hurricanes. Nor'easters, too.

Weather--you just can't avoid it--where-ever you are, there it is.

Now me, after living in North Carolina for four years, I'll take our many days of Carolina Blue skies, and even our summer humidity as I can spend lots of time cooly wet in ocean and sound. Hurricanes? I've been through two of them here--lost a couple of shingles off our roof, no other damage. We don't live directly on the water, but are a mile or so inland.

I've lived through cold, damp and foggy No CA winters, with 30 days of rain, drizzle and grey skies where I didn't see the sun for a month and have gotten shaken from a sound sleep by an earthquake.

And I've scraped ice and frozen snow from my car windshield many winter mornings in Michigan and done my share of snow shoveling and slipping and sliding through ice storms.

Hurricanes? I'll take my chances.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Ok...lets see here how many of the things you mentioned leave the devestation that a major hurricane leaves? You might say landslide and I will give you that one...just another stark reminder that mother nature doesn't want you to build there. The other weather elements...heat...drought...fires...freezes...floo ds...tornadoes...we get here. In case you haven't heard...we are currently in a drought of historic proportions. There are constantly fires or the risk of. Just yesterday there were five accidents in Brunswick County due to the fog and a smoke from a fire. Do a search on the great fire of Pender County. Tornadoes...how about Riegelwood? Of course you have to deal with adverse weather everywhere...my point is we have most of the other elements and the ultimate devestation...hurricanes. Oh yea...earthquakes...how about the legendary Seneca Guns? LOL. Seriously...how about a tsunami? Very minimal chance but if it does happen?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM

7,060 posts, read 12,569,030 times
And what's your solution? Are you moving?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM

217 posts, read 1,114,465 times
Life is too short to live it paranoid. We will all die someday too. Some of us could die today, next week, next year, 30 years from now. It's inevitable just as a hurricane on the coast is. So, my advice is live life to the fullest and if you're really deathly scared of a hurricane, don't move here or leave if you already live here. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM

197 posts, read 954,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
Ok...lets see here how many of the things you mentioned leave the devestation that a major hurricane leaves? You might say landslide and I will give you that one...just another stark reminder that mother nature doesn't want you to build there. The other weather elements...heat...drought...fires...freezes...floo ds...tornadoes...we get here. In case you haven't heard...we are currently in a drought of historic proportions. There are constantly fires or the risk of. Just yesterday there were five accidents in Brunswick County due to the fog and a smoke from a fire. Do a search on the great fire of Pender County. Tornadoes...how about Riegelwood? Of course you have to deal with adverse weather everywhere...my point is we have most of the other elements and the ultimate devestation...hurricanes. Oh yea...earthquakes...how about the legendary Seneca Guns? LOL. Seriously...how about a tsunami? Very minimal chance but if it does happen?
Your posts are very entertaining! What is your goal? To keep people away, start a debate or just get it off your chest? Maybe all 3 (or more)?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM

My goal is to inform nieve/oblivious folks who think this is paradise there is more to it. The first response was having your head up your a$$...well you would be surprised what people fall for. I am sure real estate agents...who are desperate right now...do not bring it up and if they are questioned about hurricanes they say: "oh well we get a tropical storm or weak hurricane once in a while." Same goes for the Chamber of Commerce. As for being paranoid...more like realistic. I hope to be out of here when it happens.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 PM

197 posts, read 954,688 times
Did you think that before you moved here? Were you misinformed?
Have you met people who were misinformed before they moved here?

I do see your point. I agree with some of your points, especially about service people, but I've seen that most everywhere. "Good help is hard to find" is pretty universal. 10-15 years ago, Wilmington and especially the beaches were such nicer places than now, in my opinion. Now, it is overcrowded and doesn't need more growth until the infrastructure catches up. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen since so many people on the coast are reliant on development/building to make a living. It is disheartening seeing real estate agents try to sell, sell, sell on here when more people/crowding is slowly eroding the quality of life, and that applies to most places on the coast, not just Wilmington.

I can see you getting out the word, but a word of caution --- you sound angry and that makes your opinion less credible, i.e., anyplace is miserable if you are miserable inside. Sounds like you have a great job and a lot more going for you than a lot of people. If living in WIlmington is the worse thing in your life, you're probably pretty lucky.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,327,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo View Post
...since folks don't want to see both sides of the issue on the other thread...I will start a new thread. Look...you can continue to ignore the warnings from mother nature if you choose...but the fact of the matter is that a devestating storm is on the way for the Carolina Coast. It could be this year...next or who knows when. These are the facts.
And "the big one" is going to cause half of California to slide off into the Pacific one day too - also a fact. People who are worried about that just don't choose to live in California, especially along the San Andreas fault. Same with Wilmington, or Biloxi or Galveston - if hurricanes worry you - don't live there.

All of life is about choices and the consequences of those choices. You can only choose what you think is the right choice for you - let others decide about their own choices. And unless you are from another country I find it hard to believe anyone would move to a beach area along the Atlantic Ocean anywhere and not understand that they are potentially going to be dealing with a hurricane at some time or another. And yes, that goes for New York too - they frequently see hurricane damage that far up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina