U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2015, 07:03 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,020 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello- my husband just received orders to move to Seymour Johnson AFB/ Goldsboro, we will be in the area four years. We have two school aged children, elementary and middle. I have not heard any positive information about this area, some research I've done has mentioned surrounding areas 45mins from base, this was a 2009 form. I could please use any advise or suggestions from someone that is familiar to the area, and base. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,145 posts, read 19,248,543 times
Reputation: 5040
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlady2003 View Post
Hello- my husband just received orders to move to Seymour Johnson AFB/ Goldsboro, we will be in the area four years. We have two school aged children, elementary and middle. I have not heard any positive information about this area, some research I've done has mentioned surrounding areas 45mins from base, this was a 2009 form. I could please use any advise or suggestions from someone that is familiar to the area, and base. Thank you for your time.
The threads on Goldsboro are mostly in the Coastal North Carolina forum. Check there first.

If you want a more interesting experience for your four years, you could either live closer to Raleigh, such as Selma or Clayton. Or you could live closer to the beaches, in Richlands or New Bern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 09:53 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,841 posts, read 40,303,191 times
Reputation: 28946
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The threads on Goldsboro are mostly in the Coastal North Carolina forum. Check there first.
Thread has been moved to the Coastal North Carolina subforum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,145 posts, read 19,248,543 times
Reputation: 5040
If you stay in Goldsboro, the better elementary schools are Rosewood, Grantham and Meadow Lane. The better middle schools are Grantham and Rosewood.

The Rosewood area is also the location of Bosco Beach and ATV Park which your kids will want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,145 posts, read 19,248,543 times
Reputation: 5040
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenlady2003 View Post
Hello- my husband just received orders to move to Seymour Johnson AFB/ Goldsboro, we will be in the area four years.
Many military folks in my area use "Military by Owner" to list their homes for sale or rent. I generated a search of rentals, and Pikeville as well as Goldsboro show up: http://www.militarybyowner.com/homes...pe2=For%20Rent

The lists say the the Northwest school district is also desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 AM
 
288 posts, read 218,090 times
Reputation: 356
I can't speak to the neighborhoods issue, but you should avoid the areas directly east and west of Seymour Johnson's runway if you like peace and quiet.

walessp

(A former aviator at SJAFB)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2015, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Garbage, NC
3,124 posts, read 1,955,879 times
Reputation: 8102
I'm a lifelong Goldsboro resident. Email me if you want advice about particular places.

Overall, you should be careful about places downtown. Goldsboro is unique -- in its downtown area, there are wealthy, wealthy families and humongous homes on one street, but only 2-3 streets over, you're in drug/gang territory.

Everyone seems to co-exist pretty well, so if you end up on a "nice" street, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you're only a street or so over from what you "thought" was nice, however, you might be in a totally different neighborhood than you intended.

Rosewood is a nice area. New Hope is as well. I live in Fremont, which is in the same county but about 20 mins from the base. If you message me, I can give you a better idea of what to expect from each area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,089 posts, read 2,654,335 times
Reputation: 2612
Fremont would be a nice place if it wasn't such a money pit. I lived there many years off and on from 1995-2009 and the utility bills would average from $400-$650 per month. The lowest it ever got was about $350, and that was for a small house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Garbage, NC
3,124 posts, read 1,955,879 times
Reputation: 8102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Fremont would be a nice place if it wasn't such a money pit. I lived there many years off and on from 1995-2009 and the utility bills would average from $400-$650 per month. The lowest it ever got was about $350, and that was for a small house!
I know what you mean! Something happened behind the scenes a few months ago, and our light bills have literally been cut in half. There was talk in the newspaper that they were going to be doing something about it, then I never heard anything else about it, but my bills went down drastically. No idea what that's about, but I'm not complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,653,053 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I know what you mean! Something happened behind the scenes a few months ago, and our light bills have literally been cut in half. There was talk in the newspaper that they were going to be doing something about it, then I never heard anything else about it, but my bills went down drastically. No idea what that's about, but I'm not complaining.
This is what happened:

https://www.duke-energy.com/news/rel...2015073102.asp

And here's an example of the benefit:

WilsonTimes.com - NCEMPA sale finalized: City staff asking for 17.6 percent electric rate cut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top