U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Political Office Should Allen Thomas Pursue Next?
State Senator 1 20.00%
Govenor 2 40.00%
US Representative 1 20.00%
US Senator 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:45 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,038,572 times

Advertisements

The past couple of years we've heard strong rumblings that Allen Thomas has great potential to take his political career beyond Mayor status. In seeing Thomas on the news after he once again claimed victory in Greenville's Mayoral race, he seems quite open to pursuing higher offices, though what's keeping him in Greenville at this time is the fact that he has three very young children, his own local businesses, and a sense that there's more to be done in Greenville - to build on the momentum of the strong growth that's happened (virtually immediately) since he was elected the first time.

We all know that ENC is always last in line when it comes to development in the state, but Allen Thomas has proven to be a persistent pusher of economic development in ENC. He's proven to have a passion for it.

That being said, clearly the man has political ambitions, so in two or four years I suspect that the Mayor will seek a higher office. My question here is:

In terms of having Allen Thomas taking his quest for growth and economic development for ENC beyond the Mayor's office, what official position should he pursue next?

State Senator?
Govenor?
US Representative?
US Senator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 01:04 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
The answer depends on many issues. He's a Democrat, I assume? If so, with the most recent redistricting performed by the republican controlled general assembly, there's probably very little chance of knocking out an incumbent republican in a general assembly or congressional race. He'd probably be reluctant to take on an incumbent democrat, so he'd have to wait until a seat came open, assuming he lives in a district currently represented by a democrat. (Greenville is pretty divived up, it looks like) And frankly, I don't think he has enough name recognition to jump up to something like governor or US senate until he does a lot more to establish statewide name recognition.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:38 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,431,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The past couple of years we've heard strong rumblings that Allen Thomas has great potential to take his political career beyond Mayor status. In seeing Thomas on the news after he once again claimed victory in Greenville's Mayoral race, he seems quite open to pursuing higher offices, though what's keeping him in Greenville at this time is the fact that he has three very young children, his own local businesses, and a sense that there's more to be done in Greenville - to build on the momentum of the strong growth that's happened (virtually immediately) since he was elected the first time.

We all know that ENC is always last in line when it comes to development in the state, but Allen Thomas has proven to be a persistent pusher of economic development in ENC. He's proven to have a passion for it.

That being said, clearly the man has political ambitions, so in two or four years I suspect that the Mayor will seek a higher office. My question here is:

In terms of having Allen Thomas taking his quest for growth and economic development for ENC beyond the Mayor's office, what official position should he pursue next?

State Senator?
Govenor?
US Representative?
US Senator?
He's already assuming the role of a representative in my opinion with his attempts to work closely with the leaders of surrounding cities.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:20 PM

1,069 posts, read 982,390 times
Allen Thomas is not a Democrat in the modern sense of the term. He has a lot of Republican support and I assume he stays registered the way he is because the mayoral race is nonpartisan, and also because of family legacy. To successfully run in a statewide race he would either have to project radically different ideas than he does now or change to Republican.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:27 PM

181 posts, read 184,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Allen Thomas is not a Democrat in the modern sense of the term. He has a lot of Republican support and I assume he stays registered the way he is because the mayoral race is nonpartisan, and also because of family legacy. To successfully run in a statewide race he would either have to project radically different ideas than he does now or change to Republican.
I would assume he's going to start projecting radically different ideals. He's electable as a democrat based on the West Greenville project.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 982,390 times
That's known to us here in Greenville. It's not big enough to translate to a win across the state, especially with the sharply divided political climate we're in.

Either way, I don't want to lose him in Greenville. Based on his results so far, the longer he stays the better off we are.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:30 AM

181 posts, read 184,960 times
Well yeah but I mean what I'm saying is if he were to go for, say, a US House Seat (my opinion his next step), that would be one of the things that would get him elected here as a demo.

Governor, same thing, but I doubt he'll go straight for that. I think he's more tactical than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or