U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 AM

3,964 posts, read 2,570,823 times

Advertisements

A meeting is being held on December 13 in Rocky Mount to discuss several proposed projects in the area, including building a new interchange on I-95 at Sunset Avenue.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...rovements.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 08:15 AM

The new high-rise bridge in Surf City is open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-schedule.aspx

Old 12-08-2018, 10:07 AM

1,713 posts, read 3,191,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The new high-rise bridge in Surf City is open.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-schedule.aspx
I walked across it yesterday, a dreary December afternoon. My friend and I were excited that there's a sidewalk on the bridge (unlike the Sneads Ferry bridge, which has none), although only on one side. What low expectations I have for this area that I think including a sidewalk on a multi million dollar bridge is a big deal.

There's a view of the ocean from up there, behind all of the beach houses jammed in on every bit of available sand. It really gives you a sense of what an overdeveloped sandbar Topsail Island is.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM

6,342 posts, read 3,771,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I walked across it yesterday, a dreary December afternoon. My friend and I were excited that there's a sidewalk on the bridge (unlike the Sneads Ferry bridge, which has none), although only on one side. What low expectations I have for this area that I think including a sidewalk on a multi million dollar bridge is a big deal.

There's a view of the ocean from up there, behind all of the beach houses jammed in on every bit of available sand. It really gives you a sense of what an overdeveloped sandbar Topsail Island is.
Why the (unnecessary) slam on Topsail? Beach real estate is valuable...almost all of it is intensely developed.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:38 PM

1,713 posts, read 3,191,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Why the (unnecessary) slam on Topsail? Beach real estate is valuable...almost all of it is intensely developed.
I guess after living here for 13 years I miss the sight of beaches with some of their natural landscape preserved. There's too little of that around here.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:52 PM

6,342 posts, read 3,771,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I guess after living here for 13 years I miss the sight of beaches with some of their natural landscape preserved. There's too little of that around here.
Thats true of almost all most beaches, except those that are protected from development, such as Cape Lookout National Seashore, etc. Nothing unique to Topsail, and no reason to disparage it.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:18 PM

According to this article, NCDOT is planning to rebuild the Gold Rock interchange (Exit 145) on I-95.

Tulloss reappointed to state board - Rocky Mount Telegram

Quote:
The Twin Counties is set to receive more than $300 million in projects, including the recently opened Sunset Avenue Bridge; widening of Wesleyan Boulevard in front of the mall; four lane expansion from Sunset Avenue into Nashville, which is a combination of three projects; work to make U.S. 64 meet Interstate 87 standards; widening Red Oak Road to four lanes; Widening of N.C. 4 to get ready for the big trucks that will be used by the CSX terminal; a complete redo of the entire Gold Rock interchange on I-95; and a double loop to Sunset Avenue and Interstate 95.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...e-closure.aspx

Quote:
WILMINGTON - The N. C. Department of Transportation will resume its weekend closures of all lanes of the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge in Wilmington for rehab work later this week.

Each closure will begin on a Friday at 9 p.m. and reopen the following Monday at 5 a.m. They will begin Jan. 11., with the bridge reopening to traffic on Jan. 14. The weekend closures, which started last fall, will continue every two weeks: Jan. 25- 28, Feb. 8-11, Feb. 22-25, March 8-11, and March 22-25. The schedule is weather conditional.

During the closure, a contractor will be working on the bridge and its approaches to extend the life of the structure and reduce the need for future maintenance.

A signed detour route will be in place, so drivers need to slow down and be cautious when approaching the bridge and anticipate needing extra time while using the detour route.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 AM

A contract was awarded to widen a 2.7-mile stretch of NC-172 in Onslow County between NC-210 and Camp Lejeune. Scheduled completion is May 2021.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...t-awarded.aspx

Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 AM

145 posts, read 123,782 times
Default NC 211 Widening Between NC 906 & NC 87 in Brunswick Cty

Yesterday I received a response from NCDOT Div 3 regarding current milestones for the award and execution of this project.

1. After the date of availability in early-June, the contractor is to begin work on the section from the western end up to the intersection with Long Beach Rd (NC 133)

2. Work on the NC 906 overpass won't start until late summer or fall, to minimize impacts on seasonal traffic.

3. Work on the NC 133 overpass is not expected to start until Sep 2020.

My info request did not mention the east end of the project, nearest Southport. It seems likely that work there would start no sooner than late 2020.

The new roads & bridges can be seen on plans that are linked from this page. [N.B. These files are very large & detailed. Don't try to view them on a smartphone!]

NC 211 Widening Project Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or