U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,060,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yeah 3 lights or pay a big toll. I think I know which choice will be made. Plus there are more lights further south on 17.

I don't believe there is, or will be much traffic going between MB and southern Wilmington anyway. Most people will be trying to get to Charlotte, the Triad, and possibly the Triangle, thus making CF Memorial a better option to begin with.
Not just to Myrtle Beach, but to Southern Brunswick Co. So we have proven there about 5 lights to go through, plus getting access to the bridge, which I haven't mentioned also goes up periodically that stalls traffic getting across. The new bridge will not have that. More than worth a few bucks.

With population continuing to go up, as I said particularly River Lights and that area, people will welcome the chance to save time and have much more convenience in traveling in and out of the county by paying a few bucks. But if some don't, they can take the long way for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,437,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
In related news, I-140 is schweet!!! It’s funny after years if not decades of construction, at the merge and then bridges just south of the battleship, the work gets done, then, we never use it again!
We bought a home in Southport last year and go back and forth every other weekend (for now, will move permanently in September!!!). We have really enjoyed driving on I-140. Clear sailing and while not really any shorter, it cuts about 15 minutes from our travel time.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM
LLN

4,912 posts, read 8,352,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
We bought a home in Southport last year and go back and forth every other weekend (for now, will move permanently in September!!!). We have really enjoyed driving on I-140. Clear sailing and while not really any shorter, it cuts about 15 minutes from our travel time.

I didn’t find it even that much quicker, given a good day, but much less nerve wracking. Being retired, I will trade more time for less hassle, every time.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,227,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Not just to Myrtle Beach, but to Southern Brunswick Co. So we have proven there about 5 lights to go through, plus getting access to the bridge, which I haven't mentioned also goes up periodically that stalls traffic getting across. The new bridge will not have that. More than worth a few bucks.

With population continuing to go up, as I said particularly River Lights and that area, people will welcome the chance to save time and have much more convenience in traveling in and out of the county by paying a few bucks. But if some don't, they can take the long way for free.
Yes but you will hit some of those lights even if you take the new bridge and head to southern Brunswick County and points south. I've never been inconvenienced by the CFM bridge going up. It happens so infrequently.

When the free way is a small handful of minutes longer, most people will take it. Especially retirees. And I again, I just don't think theres a very heavy volume of traffic going from southern Brunswick/MB to southern parts of Wilmington.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 AM

3,643 posts, read 2,278,664 times
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14915

Quote:
About 350 miles of roadway in Edgecombe, Halifax, Johnston, Nash, Wayne and Wilson counties will be restriped this year with a longer-lasting, reflective paint that will be easier to see at night or in the rain.

The N.C. Department of Transportation last month approved three contracts totaling $3.4 million to Roadmark Corp. of Butner to redo the lane markings in the six counties east of Raleigh that comprise the department’s Highway Division 4.

The contractor will use what is commonly referred to as thermoplastic pavement marking, which is a more durable paint that reflects headlights.

“These contracts are part of our continuing efforts to enhance the safety of our roads, and we are targeting the more heavily traveled routes first,” said Corey McLamb, the Division 4 Construction Engineer for NCDOT.

The markings will be used to replace fading lines or to strip recently resurfaced pavement on U.S., N.C. and heavily traveled secondary routes throughout the division. A quick look by county of estimated road miles to be restriped:

Edgecombe: 43
Halifax: 49
Johnston: 47
Nash: 109
Wayne: 57
Wilson: 45

The work is expected to take place between March and October.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:12 AM

A contract was awarded to convert an intersection on US-74/76 (Future I-74) at Hallsboro Road to an interchange.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14934

Quote:
WHITEVILLE – The N.C. Department of Transportation will upgrade the intersection of Hallsboro Road and U.S. 74/76 east of Whiteville into an interchange that will feature bridges and ramps.

Traffic on Hallsboro Road must now stop and wait before entering the highway. To lessen the risk of crashes, particularly those involving a high rate of speed, the new interchange will let motorists on Hallsboro Road go over the highway on a bridge or use the ramps to enter it without stopping.

The department in February awarded a nearly $9.4 million contract to BMCO Construction Inc. of Lumberton for the project, which is expected to get underway by this summer and be completed by 2020.

This is the latest in NCDOT’s ongoing efforts to improve mobility and safety on U.S. 74 by building more interchanges.

This was one of 16 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation. Per state law they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth $65.1 million, more than $852,000 under engineer estimates.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM

141 posts, read 111,015 times
Wilmington StarNews, Mar 10, 2018, "Cape Fear Forward: Tackling traffic congestion"

"The combined population of New Hanover, Brunswick and Pender counties is forecast to grow from an estimated 392,000 in 2016 to more than 580,000 by the late 2030s -- an increase of nearly 48 percent."

"Over the next few months, the StarNews will be examining numerous aspects of the expected growth in the Cape Fear region..."

StarNews, Mar 10, "With roads jammed, Officials look to mass transit for relief"

StarNews, Mar 10, "As Wilmington traffic increases, officials work to stay ahead"

StarNews, Mar 10, "When you neighborhood street becomes a cut through"

Old 03-15-2018, 04:32 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,843,054 times
A contractor is doing soil core samples just off of the shoulder of the west side of US 17 from Bridgeton heading north. This may be prep work for the 4 lane divided freeway of U.S. 17 from Bridgeton to River Road in Vanceboro.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Contractor to pay $10.3M to settle lawsuits over Outer Banks power outage :: WRAL.com

Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 PM

141 posts, read 111,015 times
This was just announced earlier today. One of two bridges to Oak Island -- the one closer to Southport and Wilmington -- will have to close for unscheduled rehabilitation from this Sept until next May.

NCDOT News Releases, Mar 20, 2018, Oak Island Bridge to Undergo Rehabilitation Work Starting in September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or