U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:15 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,060,820 times

Advertisements

Came across a 2005 NC State Map and looked at the Coastal roads. Some major improvements have been made in the last 10 years, specifically roads to Interstate type standards. Here are the major projects that have been completed since that map:

1) Jacksonville Bypass (17)
2) I-140 Wilmington Bypass (17) New Hanover Co section
3) Hwy 64 from Plymouth to Columbia (New road)
4) Washington Bypass (17)
5) Windsor Bypass (17)
6) Highway 74 from Maxton to I-95 (New road)
7) New Bern Bypass (17/70)
8) I-795 to Goldsboro

That is a good amount of work in a 10 year period. Certainly there are other projects that have had an impact, but I note these because of their Interstate quality. If we look at what is scheduled or under construction now, by 2025 the following should be done:

1) I-140 Wilmington Bypass (17) Brunswick sections
2) Hampstead Bypass (17)
3) Greenville Southwest Bypass (11)
4) Goldsboro Bypass (70)
5) Jones County Bypasses (17)

Maybe

1) Havelock Bypass (70)

Again a significant amount of work to Interstate quality. Note the drive on 17 will have really changed over a 20 year period.

Feel free to post Coastal road construction projects here (completed or ongoing)...can also be an update to folks traveling that need to watch out for construction that may hold them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 01:00 AM

141 posts, read 110,873 times
Default NC133 Long Beach Road rerouting

There is a new road in the Southport area that gets travelers coming from Wilmington and points north to Oak Island and St James Plantation a bit quicker.

About one mile below where NC 133 (River Rd) merges with NC 87 (George II Hwy), you exit at a new traffic light and go 3 miles on a new NC 133 section to a new intersection with NC 211. Those headed for St James will turn right, while those headed for Oak Island continue another .4 miles to join the original Long Beach Rd.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 AM

3,643 posts, read 2,275,717 times
It was announced this past December that two projects that are part of the long-term plan to upgrade US-117 to Interstate standards for the extension of I-795 to I-40 near Faison have moved up the time table and will begin soon. The two intersections on US-117 (O'Berry Road and Country Club Road) will be upgraded to interchanges and is scheduled for completion in 2018. Those projects would also remove any remaing traffic lights. Also, although not included in the article, according to NCDOT's latest feasability study on upgrading US-117, Sampson County opposes upgrading the existing US-117 Connector--NC-403--I-40 interchange because Sampson wants an industrial center near there and is worried that the new interchange would affect the industrial center's location, so Sampson wants a short, new terrain route for the tie-in to I-40. Duplin County opposes that and wants the existing I-40 interchange upgraded because of the farmland that would be destroyed in the new terrain route. NCDOT is gonna have their hands full with that one...

Mobile : Mount Olive Tribune

Last edited by LM117; 02-01-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM

According to NCDOT's progress report, the final section of the US-70 Goldsboro Bypass from Wayne Memorial Drive to the existing US-70 near La Grange is listed as being 91.11 percent complete. The completion date is listed as June 1, 2016 but the Revised completion date is still listed as March 2, 2016. Like I mentioned in another thread, as long as we don't have any more winter storms, I'm guessing it'll be open around the middle of March or the first part of April. It's definitely a much needed bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/traffictravel...LocSearch.aspx

Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM

I updated for someone on another thread...

Wilmington-Leland Causeway widening to be completed by the end of 2016.

I-140 (Wilmington-Leland Bypass) should be completed by the end of 2017.

Once that bypass is opened, get ready for more traffic on I-40 heading toward Myrtle Beach.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM

NCDOT plans to soon upgrade two intersections on US-70 in Johnston County at Wilson's Mills Road and Swift Creek Road to interchanges as part of the long-term goal of upgrading US-70 to Interstate standards from I-40 in Garner to Morehead City. "Future Interstate Corridor" signs will also be installed along US-70 within the next few months. NCDOT still hasn't announced what Interstate number they plan to use for US-70. AASHTO's next meeting is in May so I think it's highly likely NCDOT (assuming they choose a number by then) will apply to AASHTO and to FHWA to have the Clayton Bypass and the Goldsboro Bypass designated as part of the new interstate since they are the only sections that meet Interstate standards and already connect with another interstate (I-40 in Garner and I-795 in Goldsboro), so I think they'll be the first to get Interstate shields put up. The only thing keeping the freeway section of US-70 from Dover to New Bern from meeting Interstate standards that I'm aware of is the lack of 10ft. outside shoulders. The outside shoulders are currently only 4ft. wide, so that'll be the easiest (probably cheapest) section to upgrade. It's gonna be a good year for the US-70 corridor!

US 70 expansion could soon be reality :: WRAL.com

Old 02-05-2016, 02:37 PM

This December 2015 blog from the Regional Transportation Alliance in the Triangle talks about possible numbers to use for the future interstates (Raleigh-Norfolk corridor and US-70 corridor from Garner to Morehead City). Personally, I like the I-46 designation for the US-70 corridor. Since most of the corridor from Raleigh to Norfolk is east-west (until you get to Williamston), I'd prefer an even number. I-56 would be a good number, IMO. Picking a number for the Raleigh-Norfolk interstate is gonna be a little more complicated since there would have to be an agreement between NCDOT and VDOT.

Raleigh-Norfolk: I-495, I-44, I-50, I-89, I-56 ... ? - RTA

Old 02-15-2016, 12:59 PM

Well, it appears that I was (mostly) right. According to the October-December 2015 US-70 Director's Report on the Super 70 Corridor Commission's website, the Interstate number for the US-70 corridor from Garner to Morehead City will be announced at AASHTO's meeting in May. Curiously, NCDOT isn't picking the number themselves, unless they change their mind at the last minute. Instead, they appear to be content with letting AASHTO assign the number. There's still no mention of whether NCDOT will apply to AASHTO and FHWA to go ahead and allow Interstate shields to be put up on the Clayton and Goldsboro Bypasses. In the meantime, "Future Interstate Corridor" signs will be put up at each end of the corridor (One in Garner at the I-40 junction and one near Morehead City) and at the county lines sometime between now and Spring.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Well, it appears that I was (mostly) right. According to the October-December 2015 US-70 Director's Report on the Super 70 Corridor Commission's website, the Interstate number for the US-70 corridor from Garner to Morehead City will be announced at AASHTO's meeting in May. Curiously, NCDOT isn't picking the number themselves, unless they change their mind at the last minute. Instead, they appear to be content with letting AASHTO assign the number. There's still no mention of whether NCDOT will apply to AASHTO and FHWA to go ahead and allow Interstate shields to be put up on the Clayton and Goldsboro Bypasses. In the meantime, "Future Interstate Corridor" signs will be put up at each end of the corridor (One in Garner at the I-40 junction and one near Morehead City) and at the county lines sometime between now and Spring.
Just having the signs helps. Tourists see those signs and feel like something will happen at some point.

I wouldn't blame a tourist coming from I-95 that drove 70 in the summer to Atlantic Beach and said they were never going back there because of that drive.

So 70 corridor will be the 2nd Interstate in the East.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I wouldn't blame a tourist coming from I-95 that drove 70 in the summer to Atlantic Beach and said they were never going back there because of that drive.
I agree. The part of US-70 I hate the most is the stretch from Goldsboro to the beginning of the Clayton Bypass. I used to drive that stretch a lot and I hated it. The traffic was terrible and the stop lights, driveways and other numerous access points didn't help, either. The last time I had to go to Raleigh in 2009 when I lived in the outskirts of Goldsboro I took I-795 to US-264. It was more mileage, but the drive was 10 times easier. I made it a point to avoid that stretch of US-70 when possible (at least until some of the upgrades are done).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or