U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

Hello
My family and I are starting to research places for possible retirement in NC. Not necessary looking for a large city. Our activities varies somewhat. We are into summer & winter sports. Looking for a place that maybe 1.5 hours driving to the beach, about the same maybe a bit longer to the mountains. We recently visited Asheville NC love it, bit of a drive to the beaches. There is 1 in-law who will need an elder care community. We are planning our search early not wanting to wait until the very end. Noting large, something that is manageable, with access ability to summer,winter activities.
Much Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:59 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,197,701 times
If you like the "big city" try Raleigh. Lots of bedroom communities in various price ranges in and around the city. Some of the best health care in the nation with Duke, UNC, Rex, Wake Med etc. All kinds of assisted living facilities. Beaches and mountains are about 1.5 to 2 hours away. The mountains have fair snow skiing in winter. The coast has every thing you would expect. The triangle area of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill each has a top notch university. There are all kinds of concert venues, restaurants etc.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:06 PM

105 posts, read 181,475 times
Hey Abcef,

I do want to warn you, there really aren't any other cities in North Carolina that are much like Asheville- (though, i guess there aren't many cities anywhere like Asheville). I guess as a stretch, I could compare Wilmington as the closest NC beach version... Though they are considerably different from each other. Wilmington, and much of coastal North Carolina, would be a pretty good distance from any winter sports. In fact, here in Winterville/Greenville, we may see 3 inches of snow per year and that usually only lasts a few days.

I know that everyone always says, "North Carolina is great because they have beautiful beaches and beautiful mountains". Which is true, but our state is very very wide, I can get to NYC in about the same time as it takes for me to get to our western boarder. With all of this said, you may want to post your question in the general "North Carolina" forum, if winter sports are important to you.

best of luck!

Old 11-13-2015, 06:24 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Yep, there's no way to find a town that's 1.5 hours from mountains and coast.

We're on the coast and it takes us about 7- 8 hours to reach the mountains. Of course, our community is far from an interstate...the mountains are more accessible from Wilmington (located on interstate 40), but still not within 1.5 hours drive time.

So given that, you'll have to choose between the two environments..unless you want to fly between the two. There are airports in Wilmington, New Bern and Asheville....

Greensboro is a nice town..and about 3-4 hours between the mountains and ocean.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:38 AM

4,956 posts, read 2,197,701 times
From North Raleigh to Carolina Beach via I-40 is 2 hours.

From North Raleigh to Boon/Blowing Rock/Sugar Mt is 3 hours. There are some foot hill areas that are very mountain like and pretty such as Asheboro and North Wilksboro that are an hour closer. Roughly speaking, Raleigh is about 2 hours from either coast or mountains.

Both destinations are about as beachy and winter sports oriented as you get in NC.

As a reference, Manteo at the outer banks/Kitty Hawk area is 544 miles to Murphy in the far western part of the state. Non stop driving time is around 9 hours.

I-40 from Wilmington to the TN state line is about 422 miles and will take about 6 hours to drive non stop.

Last edited by ditchoc; 11-13-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 03:08 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,658,019 times
There are no traditional Winter activities in Asheville, as in snow. It seldom snows and daytime temps are always above freezing if not above 45. You are too far South and there is not enough elevation.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 7,365 times
Thanks for all suggestions, I cannot rule NC out unless I visit more to truly make a decision. We are trying to figure out what is more practical for us. We would like to be about 1/2 from any big city. We are all into winter, summer sports being near a lake or parks will be a consideration. New Bern came to mind, however they are prone to very hard weather certain times of the year. Upon visiting Asheville, we visited Hendersonville, Fletcher and Weaverville. We are planning on visiting
Winterville/Greenville,and Wilmington. We are fully aware, we will not be able to find all on our list, there will be compromises made in the process. I do think starting the process early gives us all a better understand of what we are looking for and where we ultimately need to be.
All replies are truly appreciated.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcef View Post
Thanks for all suggestions, I cannot rule NC out unless I visit more to truly make a decision. We are trying to figure out what is more practical for us. We would like to be about 1/2 from any big city. We are all into winter, summer sports being near a lake or parks will be a consideration. New Bern came to mind, however they are prone to very hard weather certain times of the year. Upon visiting Asheville, we visited Hendersonville, Fletcher and Weaverville. We are planning on visiting
Winterville/Greenville,and Wilmington. We are fully aware, we will not be able to find all on our list, there will be compromises made in the process. I do think starting the process early gives us all a better understand of what we are looking for and where we ultimately need to be.
All replies are truly appreciated.
You might look into Virginia, which has similar weather as NC, but places like Richmond are closer to both the beaches and the mountains than anywhere in NC (look at a map of NC vs VA to see how much "longer" we are, and that our good beaches on the barrier islands not even on the mainland). Richmond is right by the Chesapeake Bay but not far from the mountains around Charlottesville (that area inspired "The Waltons"). You'd also be near DC if you wanted a REALLY big city, but Richmond is similar to Raleigh, and Charlottesville is somewhat like Chapel Hill except with mountains.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:57 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,250,102 times
I was going to suggest Virginia as well - I can get to a beach if I go East, and mountains if I go West (and all in a day trip).

Old 11-19-2015, 02:06 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
I am about three hours from the mountains (Boone/Blowing Rock) and three hours to the beach (Sunset, NC and North Myrtle, SC). Good medical care in our area and the largest county park in North Carolina. One hour out of Charlotte for those who like city things. We have an aquatic center and Union County loves its old people. They say we are going to get some snow this year but some years we do and some years we don't but we are a lot warmer than Virginia. Boone area gets lots of snow.

http://www.monroeaquaticsandfitnesscenter.com/

http://www.co.union.nc.us/

http://ncparks.gov/find-a-park

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/pa...r/default.aspx Our county borders South Carolina.

http://www.stonebridgegolfclub.com/ One mile away.

www.queenscup.org I can hear the loud speaker from my patio.

UNC-Charlotte has gardens to visit.

Wingate College has live plays.

We have been here 40 years and are not bored yet. Union County, NC, is really a great place to live.

Most of the ski resorts are in the Boone/Blowing Rock area. Just google NC Ski Resorts.

My husband made it to our timeshare in North Myrtle Beach once in two hours early in the morning in December but I wanted to be more realistic. Traffic usually prevents that. We have made a trip to Carolina Beach and Wilmington just for lunch. We prefer Myrtle Beach for things like that because they have more and we think better places to eat. Sunset Beach has parking for daytime visitors.

I am wondering if you have looked at Pinehurst or Southern Pines. Many retirees settle there. We like here best though. There is also Sun City just over the South Carolina line if you are interested in a senior citizen neighborhood.

And to celebrate the season we can visit here and come home in one evening. http://www.mcadenville-christmastown.com/ Everything is free except the hot chocolate if you stop to buy some at the locations it is offered.

Last edited by NCN; 11-19-2015 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or