Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2015, 11:21 AM

13 posts, read 22,539 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone just need some suggestions on some close by towns of Washington as my husband me and our 3 children are moving there for my husbands new job. I live near a big city currently and hate it so definitely looking for a smaller town feel, but that has food stores etc close enough by. Looking for good safe neighborhoods with good schools. My husband it willing to travel 25 miles max each way. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Greenville is the closest town with good amenities. Specifically look into Winterville. Is there some reason you don't want to live in Washington itself?

Here's some threads on Washington and Greenville/Winterville:

Neighborhoods in Washington, North Carolina
Moving to Little Washington NC ?
Living in Greenville, NC. What's it like?
place to live in greenville, NC
Considering Greenville NC with job in Hamilton need advice

Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmerized815 View Post
Hi everyone just need some suggestions on some close by towns of Washington as my husband me and our 3 children are moving there for my husbands new job. I live near a big city currently and hate it so definitely looking for a smaller town feel, but that has food stores etc close enough by. Looking for good safe neighborhoods with good schools. My husband it willing to travel 25 miles max each way. Thank you
Washington itself or across the creek in Washington Park.

Here are existing threads on Washington:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=21261338

Washington has a beautiful waterfront and a nice, but very limited Main St. Plenty of basic retail in town. Greenville is quite a bit larger and about a half-hour drive.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Thank you for your help

Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Surprised someone said Winterville for someone with 3 kids. May help to know the ages, but I have heard from good sources that South Central isn't the best. As well, Winterville is more than 25 minutes from Washington.

There are some nice neighborhoods on the outskirts of Washington. Washington Park is nice, just be sure your home is elevated or you are out of the floodplain. If you are willing to drive a little for shopping (back to Wash), you could go to Bath, where the K-8 school is good.

The DH Conley district/Chicod area of Pitt County is within 25 minute commute to Washington. I would definitely consider this area...from the 10th St connection all the way to Chicod. In fact I would start there unless you can afford to get something on the water in Washington/Washington Park or Bath.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM

Thank you we will look into those areas you have mentioned. My children are 11, 9 &6 and they like to play sports.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Washington is great, tried hard to move there several years ago. Job did not turn out. Most of your big items will come from Greenville, 25 or so minutes (easy) away.

I doubt the schools are the best, but a lot of folks have been educated in them, and town is still there, so it is not all that bad. There are some old, historic areas, that I love, some new areas, some ok areas and some really bad ones, IMHO.

You need to decide what is important to you and then go see a realtor. I am not a big fan of real estate, but in many southern towns, the good and bad areas can be really close together, and you do not want to make a mistake.

Washington has an awesome waterfront, great street parties in the summer, and lots of outdoor stuff to do. If you want more, you can go to Greenville, while not a cultural mecca, has the university so a lot is going on there, too.

Good Luck.

lln

Old 12-10-2015, 09:16 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesmerized815 View Post
Thank you we will look into those areas you have mentioned. My children are 11, 9 &6 and they like to play sports.
That helps...I would say Bath for that age, Washington if they were in High School.

But I stand by Chicod (which is K-8) or Hope Middle School district in Pitt County (stay away from Whitfield). Its a rural or suburban landscape, but commuting distance to Washington (with no traffic but a few tractors) and is easy access into Greenville/Bels Fork, etc...

The sporting opportunities would be greater if you are outside of Greenville.

You didn't say your housing budget, if you can get on the water in the Washington area, then by all means go that direction.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:15 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
I would look into homes in Chocowinity which is only a few miles from Washington. If you are going to get a pet, Chocowinity Vet. Clinic & Pet Resort are the best by far in the entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina