Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 9,025 times

Advertisements

Hi.
I'm planning on my family moving from Bladen County to Wilmington. I have a Section 8 voucher. I'm trying to stay away from the downtown area. I can't withdraw my teen from school until January 21, when the new semester starts. Where are some relatively decent neighborhoods where my kids and I can safer than where we are now? The place we live in right now is beautiful on the inside, but the neighborhood is horrible. I have 4 kids and I have to keep them all inside due to crime and violence. Schools are a deciding factor in what areas to look into. My 4 year old is in the exceptional child pre-k and I want to make sure he continues to have a great year. We will miss the teachers for all 3 of my young children. But I want to see them get a better education than they are currently receiving. Anyone have any ideas? I'm a full time college student and I'll be working in an office for the tax season. My voucher is for $800 currently, but will go up when my previous employer hires me again.
I am not against being in the busier parts of the city if there are parks or other places to take the kids. I would prefer to avoid a large complex of apartments, as that's the situation now. Not opposed to duplexes, townhomes. I like the idea of a suburban lifestyle, but it isn't likely on a tiny budget. The children's needs are my primary focus. Their comfort, the schools, and proximity to things of interest mean a lot.
We have been very lucky to not have insect issues in our apartment and I want the next place to be the same. Not that I expect anyone in the forum to find us a place, but 2 bathrooms is a must. It's just not feasible for this many kids to share 1 toilet. We have 1.5 baths now and it makes a huge difference. I have to have at minimum 3 bedrooms as I have 2 girls and 2 boys. We have 4 bedrooms now.

Last edited by geekmom4704; 12-30-2015 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:53 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmom4704 View Post
Hi.
I'm planning on my family moving from Bladen County to Wilmington. I have a Section 8 voucher..... My voucher is for $800 currently, but will go up when my previous employer hires me again.
I don't really understand how these vouchers work. Does the landlord have to accept only $800 in rent for the house or apartment? If the house is worth $1200 on the open market, can he charge you the difference?

Are you locked in to going to Wilmington? For example, Hampstead has some well-rated schools. If you have to be in Wilmington for commuting reasons, the Myrtle Grove area is reasonable and decent. I'm not sure how you find landlord willing to accept your voucher, but there are rental listings on Craigslist and also Realtor.com. However, I see only one 3-bedroom apartment listed under $800 on Realtor. It is at 5324 Park, and the area looks decent.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-31-2015 at 12:39 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 06:21 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
With a voucher, its just all about finding a landlord that will take Section 8. 4 kids is a lot and requires some space.

Outside of the Public Housing areas, the rents are going to be more than you can afford for $800 IN WILMINGTON, IMO. However you can probably find housing cheaper outside the City limits (like Castle Hayne) or as GA mentioned in Leland. Maybe the Kings Grant area for a single family home.

In terms of schools, all 4 high schools are fine. Most of the middle schools are fine. And I think even the worse Elementary Schools in Wilmington would probably rate as well as what you have in Bladen County...just a guess though, I haven't looked.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
And I think even the worse Elementary Schools in Wilmington would probably rate as well as what you have in Bladen County...just a guess though, I haven't looked.
Agreed. The apartment I mentioned has Winter Park Elementary, which is rated a 4 out of 10. Bladen County schools are mostly 2 or 3.

Unfortunately the market rate for house rentals is at least $1000-1200. Kings Grant has some ollder houses that might work.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,359,448 times
If I understand this voucher thing, it requires the renter to pay about 28% of their income for the rent and the voucher covers the rest. In this case, the voucher is for $800. So ... as an example ...

The renter has a job making $10 and hour, 40 hour week is $400, 4 weeks in a month, about $1600 a month. 28% of the monthly income would be about $448. Add the voucher to that and the renter should be able to pay $1248 a month, their 28% + the voucher.

I thought about going on a rant about my tax burden supporting those that pay little or no taxes but I think I'll just keep my mouth shut since I am not sure of the circumstances here.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:04 PM

Craigslist also has several mobile homes that fit the criteria: Carolina Pines (South Wilmington), Leland and Rocky Point. Those areas are OK, but the ads don't say whether they accept section 8 vouchers.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:57 PM

Hi again. The way Wilmington's program works is different. I will have to pay a portion. But the voucher amount at this time is set at $800. $900 if it includes water, sewer, and trash. When I resume my job next week, the voucher amount will go up based on my projected income. By how much, I'm not sure. So basically any property that fits within the voucher amount and passes inspection can be viable. But because of either past bad experiences, fear, or just not wanting to deal with the paperwork, some landlords will not take the voucher. I understand. I've been checking out Craig's List and plan to contact a realtor. I just appreciate good information on schools and avoiding high crime areas as much as can reasonably be expected not living in New Hanover county.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmom4704 View Post
I just appreciate good information on schools and avoiding high crime areas as much as can reasonably be expected not living in New Hanover county.
Schooldigger will give you an overview of schools. I generated a search of elementary and middle schools, and pasted it as an attached picture. The 4- and 5-rated (out of 5) elementary schools in Wilmington include Pine Valley, Codington, Parsley, Bellamy and Anderson. These are all safe areas. You could also search the forum for previous parent comments. Other good elementary schools include Eaton, Ogden, Murrayville, Wrightsville Beach and South Topsail.

I believe a Realtor can give you additional help.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Wilmington NC with a Section 8 Voucher & 4 kids.-wilmingtonschools.jpg  

Old 01-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Thank you for that information! I will be checking out that website and looking into those schools. So happy to have found a forum for my questions!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,527 times
Have you checked into Sunset Park? It's likely more than $800/month but at least you could get a house in a great, safe neighborhood with Sunset Elementary (rated highly) nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina