Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 08:41 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times

Advertisements

We are gearing up for retirement within 2 years max. I have family in both Calabash and Sunset Beach and have been researching those areas. When I look at Realtor.com, it seems that Bolivia is doing a lot of new construction within the 250k range and lower, which is where we are more comfortable. What can you tell me about Bolivia as it compares to Calabash and Sunset Beach. Wife also wants 15 minute drive to nice beach(s). Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 08:55 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
See some previous comments that Bolivia is isolated. That's why it is cheap. Check how far it is from a doctor or hospital. Search for the thread from December 4, 2020, "Some Towns with decent growth". Most of the responses indicated that Bolivia was in the middle of nowhere, and that was why it was growing so fast.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-28-2021 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-28-2021, 09:06 AM

I now have seen the Realtor ads for new construction from McKee Homes and DR Horton. Be aware that prices under $250,000 are just starting prices. That means their basic home, with no screened proch, and maybe no fireplace. The lots will probably be stripped of trees and very close together. These developments may be OK, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd prefer a an existing house in a more developed community, which you could probably find for the same price. Look into Rourk Woods in Shallotte. This community also has new construction from True Homes under $250K. Rourk Woods has very good amenities, and it is close to town and 10 minutes to Ocean Isle Beach.

The biggest advantage to Bolivia is the Dinah Gore Fitness Center on the campus of the community college. That means you can live in a community which has few amenities and you can swim or work-out at Dinah Gore.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-28-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-28-2021, 10:15 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I now have seen the Realtor ads for new construction from McKee Homes and DR Horton. Be aware that prices under $250,000 are just starting prices. That means their basic home, with no screened proch, and maybe no fireplace. The lots will probably be stripped of trees and very close together. These developments may be OK, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd prefer a an existing house in a more developed community, which you could probably find for the same price. Look into Rourk Woods in Shallotte. This community also has new construction from True Homes under $250K. Rourk Woods has very good amenities, and it is close to town and 10 minutes to Ocean Isle Beach.

The biggest advantage to Bolivia is the Dinah Gore Fitness Center on the campus of the community college. That means you can live in a community which has few amenities and you can swim or work-out at Dinah Gore.

I wouldn't put to much in the Bolivia address The Novant Hospital is located on US 17 which is 5-10 minutes from Winding River which has a Bolivia mailing address. By the way the Gore center is just a mile or two from the hospital. I must admit I haven't been to Rourk Woods for a year to two, but it was mostly empty lots the last time when I drove through it. If you don't live in the area, you really need to visit and tour the county. Internet searches can be very misleading.

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 01-28-2021 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Complete the post.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We are gearing up for retirement within 2 years max. I have family in both Calabash and Sunset Beach and have been researching those areas. When I look at Realtor.com, it seems that Bolivia is doing a lot of new construction within the 250k range and lower, which is where we are more comfortable. What can you tell me about Bolivia as it compares to Calabash and Sunset Beach. Wife also wants 15 minute drive to nice beach(s). Thanks in advance

The mailing address of Bolivia covers a very large section of the county. Winding River Plantation which is close to Supply has a mailing address of Bolivia. The Brunswick County offices also have a Bolivia address. DR Horton took over an abounded development off NC 211 and it is called Avalon and they are building smaller, less costly homes. I think McKee Homes took over the the large Georgetown development across NC 211 from Avalon. Both of the developments had all the streets and utilities in place, but no houses. There is another bankrupt community off of Sunset Harbor Road has been taken over by a less expensive builder.

You really need to drive around the area and take a look. I wouldn't rely on the Internet for guidance.

Old 01-28-2021, 11:26 AM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
As noted, Bolivia is both a tiny little town and a vastly larger zip code that covers an area that must be 10% of the entire county:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...!4d-78.1792434

In general, the area is about equidistant (15 to 20 minutes) to Shallotte, Southport/Oak Island and Leland. Those are the places where you will find most amenities such as grocery stores, doctors, shopping, restaurants, etc. Thats a little too isolated for me.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:23 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Thanks for all the input. We do plan on heading down as soon as COVID lets up, but will have limited time to check out areas, probably 4-5 days to begin, so trying to figure where best to start.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
..... DR Horton took over an abounded development off NC 211 and it is called Avalon and they are building smaller, less costly homes. I think McKee Homes took over the the large Georgetown development across NC 211 from Avalon. Both of the developments had all the streets and utilities in place, but no houses.....
Thanks Mr. Purple for the explanation of Bolivia addresses.

DR Horton does a good job of taking over from other builders who default. Avalon was promising amenities, but I agree the OP should look at it in person. I can't find the streets on the map to judge the distance. It may be less that 15 minutes.

I know for sure that Rourk Woods is 10 minutes from the closest beach. Look at Sugarberry Drive, Shallotte, and you can "drive" the streets. It has good-sized lots, trees, and a complete amenity center with an indoor pool.

The OP asked for comparison with Calabash. I view Calabash as a tourist destination with dozens of restaurants. There are suppposed to be decent neighborhoods, but they may be more than the OP's budget.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Purple 2 View Post
..... DR Horton took over an abounded development off NC 211 and it is called Avalon and they are building smaller, less costly homes....
The model address of Avalon is 1778 Culdees Lane SE, Bolivia, NC. Google maps says it is 12 miles and 17 minutes to the Beach access at Oak Island. It is 13 miles and 18 minutes to Holden Beach, going west on NC 211. Both are a little further than the desired 15 minutes to a beach, but probably worth checking out. DR Horton is a major mass-production builder. (A review described them as the WalMart of builders. I have been inside their houses, and they are not bad.)

The development's closest grocery store is Lowes at Oak Island.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-28-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-28-2021, 01:53 PM

There is another abandon development on Stone Chimney Road SE that is starting back up called Ruffin's Landing. It has access to The Lockwood Folly River. Again, it is another development that had all the infrastructure built, but went under during the housing crisis. It is about 6.5 miles from Holden Beach. There is one nice larger home built there, but the new homes being built are much smaller. No amenities

A little closer to Holden Beach on Stone Chimney Road SE is another development starting back up. Gated, but no amenities.

Mill Cove off Sunset Harbor has very nice amenities, but it is a little longer drive to the beach. You are close to the ICW. There were three or four nice large homes built before it went under, the new developer is building small homes there. Some lots have nice views of the marsh and river. This is another development that went under with all the infrastructure finish.

It seem that all new home building in the area, except for the Plantations, are geared to smaller less expensive housing.

Remember, there is not a lot shopping in the area. Shallotte is the shopping hub for that part of the county. There is a Home Depot; WalMart; Lowes Home; Belks and a new shopping center/strip mall at Shallotte. If that doesn't work for you, you have to drive to Wilmington or NMB. I have a friend who lived near Calabash and he was driving over to Shallotte for any of his home repair items. There are no quick trips to get items you might need. People are using Amazon, but you have to depend on UPS or the Postal Service for delivery. The area is just like living in a rural or country location so you better like it. You definitely give up the city life when move there there. A lot of new residents really miss Target, but I doubt there will ever build a store in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina