U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,175 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house in Greenville - Moving from Allentown PA - From our point of view it is the perfect place to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 AM

49 posts, read 250,816 times
If Greenville isn't growing into a booming metropolis, could it be because Eastern Carolina doesn't want it to? I moved to New Bern from the Baltimore-Washington corridor and don't want to see this area become that mess. The Program I work for is based at Pitt, and I shop in Greenville, so I travel there often. Eastern Carolina has always been quiet and friendly. If I want big city, I drive to Raleigh.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,047,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Greenville has grown immensely from the early 90's, but I won't take it seriously as a growing town until they do something about the railroad that runs right through the middle with a train that always seems to come by at 5 PM to switch rails.
The project to move the switching yard to north of the river is on the books and expected to be completed by 2011.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,972 times
Default greenville is growing....

Greenville is growing; that is why fire tower is getting wider... you can tell with traffic alone. It is constantly getting worse

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 AM

228 posts, read 521,839 times
Yes, Greenville may be growing, but around the university strong armed robbery crimes are on the rise, and increasingly, there are parts of town that just don't feel safe anymore. And, the area has yet to address the social, entertainment, and outdoor fitness needs of the post college - pre "married with children" demographic. If these issues are not addressed, the demographic that could really help with growth won't stay in town.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:23 AM

451 posts, read 1,689,459 times
^Agreed. The city really needs a performing arts center and more greenways and parks to attract/keep young professionals. I would like to see more development uptown as well. Cheaper real estate can only get you so far.

I think the city has grown to a size where it can support better facilities and performing arts.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM

228 posts, read 521,839 times
Agreed, Lithuania! The town seems to think entertainment growth is new restaurants...but, I think we are good for now in the eatery department. But, yes, the town is in dire need of a performing arts center. Downtown, the real downtown, needs some mainstream stores badly. There are two clothing shops downtown that I just do not understand...we could use some sort of fun park within the city limits. And, the lack of greenways in town, considering the huge number of runners and cyclists is just not acceptable. For a town of this size, for there only to be about 1.4 miles of greenway, that just is not on. I have had trucks aim for me when running on the roads...I have had things thrown at me...it is just not a friendly place to work out. And, the town needs to crack down on the gangs and it would do well to address certain areas that are just run down and unsafe.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 PM

451 posts, read 1,689,459 times
RunningNorm - I think there will be more greenways constructed in the near future. You should check out www.froggs.org for more info. I think the city is going to build a greenway along the Tar River near ECU campus.

As for running, the few times I try and run, I run around neighborhoods in Winterville where there is little traffic. I think Winterville is trying to be more progressive and are doing studies to improve their downtown and overall walkability.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 116,233 times
It is very hard to start new business's here without strong finacials, and with such an influx of the "good old boys" network can you imagine how hard it is for an out of state company to come here? The town has changed dramatically, but i will say that compared to other areas the "crime" is far less violent and way less. It is very much a college or doctor town with not much else. I will say that were the to put in some awesome golf courses you would see a very high influx of people moving from up north to greenville which would create a lot more business opportunities. Haveing lived here for 20 years I will say that we have an incredibly high number of people on welfare and that creates high turnover in the job markets. The other problem is that the jobs are not consistanley priced as you would see in a larger city. A receptionist here can make anywhere between 6-14 dollars and hour. That is a huge difference for such a small place. The other major problem being that everything is located and centered around one strip G-ville blvd. I think that with the new hotels going up around the hospital ( on the 5th street side) we will start to see more business but they need to adress 5th st traffic. Between 7am and 8am 5th st between the bypass and the hospital is impassable. Overall not a bad place to live. No effort is being made to incourage any one group beside doctors to live here, I would love to see more of a retirement community

Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 PM

50 posts, read 153,845 times
My husband and I transfered to Greenville in April because of his job. We moved from the Dallas-Ft. Worth Area in Texas (which has 10 cities that are in the top 100 places to live in 2008). We believe that Greenville is lacking a nice *UPDATED mall that you can feel safe going to. Greenville needs to get some anchor stores in the mall, update it, and change the parking around the mall. Also sidewalks and parks are lacking in Greenville. There is not enough culture in the city (things to do on the weekends and places to go out at night, other than college clubs). Restaurants also play a big part and Greenville is definitely lacking in that department. The Walmart needs to be cleaned up or another one built, expand the Target to a Super Target and add some upscale shopping centers and eateries to add some pizazz to the city. Traffic is the worst here!! No one drives the speed limit (usually 10mi. under), they practically stop to turn a corner, and sit at stop signs like they are waiting for something. The banks are not open on Saturdays and all the shopping boutiques close at 5pm. Weekends are the hardest with little shopping, lack of activities, and nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina