U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM

451 posts, read 1,687,381 times

Advertisements

^I don't know if they are going to update the mall or not, but don't look for a new mall to be built. Malls are kinda going out of style with people going to these new outdoor shopping centers. Greenville should be getting more shopping - a new Fresh Market will open this fall. For nicer restaurants, try Finelli's or LA Lounge uptown.

Keep in mind that this is still a small city - it's not going to have the shopping of a Dallas-Ft. Worth. I moved here 7 years ago - you should have seen the city then. No Old Navy or Panera Bread, etc. More stores are coming so shopping will be getting better and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,399,546 times
We moved here from the NE 5 years ago to get away from the malls, the crowds, people who did not look at you, the stress and rush to get nowhere fast.
I do agree about how people drive down here. I think most cars don't have directional signals. We moved to the Greenville area to get away from everything we disliked in the North and came to an area which to us was slower paced and we don't want it changed. That's what happened to our tranquil shore area after 911, people moved from all over and wanted the changes that they had from "where they came from" and change it did. Now they can't afford to live there. Simply put, if you come here to change things, you will be much happier staying where you are now or go to the "big" cities of Raleigh, Cary or Charlotte. Personally, I would love to see everything closed on Sundays, so families could be together.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM

50 posts, read 153,769 times
I don't mind if things are closed on Sundays, but I would like to spend Saturdays out and about with things to do. Hard when everything closes early.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,399,546 times
RHC, SuperTarget is supposed to open across from PCC next to Sheetz in Winterville. I agree wholeheartedly with you, Walmart should be torn down, it is depressing and a mess. Fresh Market is going to open up in the fall across from Kohl's. Next month the football games start and you and your family might enjoy going to some of them. The Kinston baseball games are a lot of family fun on Friday nights. The Performing Arts usually start in the fall at ECU. Winterville Watermelon Fest. is the end of Aug., a few years ago Lonestar performed and it was a lot of fun. Seafood fest. down in Moorehead City/Beaufort is a lot of fun. Ft. Macon is a great Historical experience and free. Check online, I am sure you can find a lot of things that you and your family can do without spending a lot of money. Welcome to Greenville, I hope you will enjoy it.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 18,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I do think it has a lot to do with major highways. But...I think some of it has to do with Raleigh, why go to Greenville when you can come here? We have the large airport, all the big schools, great school system, RTP, interstates...etc. I believe this hurts Greenville's chances. And the small town thinking politicians do not help. But they tried to change Kinston with the Global transpark. So far, it has not worked. So maybe it is not a matter of politics? A Global transpark is big time...if it works. Politics made this happen. This is the kind of thing that made Raleigh the town it is today...RTP

I think the main reason Greenville is not growing more than it is, would probably be because of Raleigh, and the local school system in Greenville. Notice everytime on this message board when someone ask a question about our towns, the first question is....what about the schools!

Here is my prediction. The Global Transpark in Kinston WILL take off. It's just a matter of time. It has only been 8 years now since they built the place. I saw a show on WRAL news here in Raleigh that said RTP took just as long to get going. Fact is, local officials have not given up on the transpark in Kinston, they are still building buildings there for future tenants. They have widened the roads to four lanes, they are building the hwy 70 bypass. They have the largest runway in NC. It is just a matter of time. When this happens, Greenville will look very nice to people....just like Raleigh does now. You watch!
Indeed Greenville will look VERY nice to people when and IF that happens. Have you seen Kinston? The place in falling apart--literally. It is a scary, ghetto ghost town. The place has not a dollar to it's name and it has the highest crime rate out of any city in eastern NC. Not unheard of for a triple homicide in August.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 18,626 times
I lived in Greenville for almost 3 years. I moved from a major city to work in the local media. Here is what I noticed that annoyed me: 1) They are their unwilling or unable to build any sort of high rise. The city is not small. However they do not build up, they build out and it makes the city look dinky and therfore not developing. 2) Speaking of developing...the only thing that I would place my bets on expanding is people bellies. I have never witnessed so many fast food drive thrus and restraunts per square inch...ANYWHERE!! Not even NYC!! Does the city think all people want to do is eat??? Perhaps, they should stop building BoJangles on every corner and invest in business or the arts.
That said. It is undeniable Greenville is growing. You can almost feel it when you are there. Or maybe it's the senseless traffic. Most cities that size (ie; Myrtle Beach) have highways all around or at least 4 lanes roads. Greenvllians are forced to crunch thier way home through 1 to 2 lane dinky roads. Infastructure efforts to need to be doubled or people will eventually give up.
The place has big time potential. It is much more diverse than it gets credit for. The hospital brings educated, cultured people in town, breaking up the small town southern mentailty. However, I completley agree there is very little to keep young professionals entertained and satisfied. Greenville's biggest obstacle is keeping it's grads and current 25-35 crowd put. Perhaps, if it pumped up the arts and created more bars and clubs like Chef's 505, it would give people a reason to be proud to say the are from Greenville.
Bottomline, I have moved on to bigger and better. But do not be mistaken I still believe Greenville has raw potential to be another Raleigh or who knows even Charlotte. You just need to break up those good old boys. Yea...you know who I'm talking about. Your days are numbered, and then its back to the country for you!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 14,725 times
Is there any farm land available in Greenville for my family to grow organic veggies and poultry just for personal use?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:13 AM

228 posts, read 521,156 times
There is actually alot of farming land around the area, although it is mostly tobacco and cotton at the moment.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,660 times
can anyone give me any info on Grifton NC ???

Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,038,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
There is actually alot of farming land around the area, although it is mostly tobacco and cotton at the moment.
Tons and tons of soy bean and corn too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina