U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM

20 posts, read 52,700 times

Advertisements

ECU is an excellent University, and it looks like we will have an excellent football season this year too! No one really mentioned how virtually all of Greenville and surrounding areas back ECU, and contribute to the overall growth of the Greenville and Greater-Greenville area. Greenville is a larger metropolitan area serving about 5-7 counties. People from these rural areas come to Greenville to shop, eat out, go to doctors, etc. Greenville has experienced dramatic growth in the past 10 years. I'm not really understanding how this whole stream ever go started back in 2007, but it is not true for sure. Try driving around town on Friday afternoon at 5 if you have any question about the growth. Best of luck to sophia03 and her husband on the potential Greenville move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 12:42 PM

151 posts, read 308,759 times
I wouldn't call ECU excellent, but it's fine and with the economy as it is, if your husband gets the job, he should seriously consider it.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 AM

4 posts, read 11,956 times
Try looking at the average income levels of the two before you compare. Per capita income of $19,000 for Grifton. No local bussiness to speak off. High Administion pay levels. And and interesting item on their budget is the tax revenue they recieve from the liquor store...........

Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM

335 posts, read 358,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
As you will see if you read all the threads on this board, Greenville has the following general pros and cons:

Cons - crime rate too high for the size of the city
- lack of big city amenities and shopping
- lack of entertainment options

Pros - inexpensive real estate
- general friendliness, although some may disagree
- relatively close to great beaches and waterways
- excellent hospital
- major university and good community college

The area in general has a very young population, which can be a pro or a con depending on your perspective.
Event though this post is little older, I'd also like to add that finding a job can be difficult in Greenville, especially part-time work. I would suggest moving here with a job as it could be many months before any work is found. The unemployment rate in NC is above the US average (17.6% vs 16.8%), and that doesn't include the long-term discouraged workers. I worked for a major retailer in Greenville and we got many applicants every month (dozens if not over 100, especially during the summer), but over the last year of my employment there, we had a lot of people aged 40+ looking for jobs as well, as opposed to college student which was 90%+ of the staff we had before.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 AM

232 posts, read 398,141 times
ECU is so much harder academically than i thought it would be. everyone who stopped at high school likes to call it easy..

Old 08-20-2012, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 15,967 times
I went to ECU in the 90s. (Grad 1996, sociology). I loved Greenville. Just big enough but with a small town feel. I loved how the University provided so much Arts and the housing was cheap. It is half way between Raleigh and the beach (Morehead City) - about an hour and half each way. I was young and fresh out of college. I wanted to live in a larger city so I moved to Raleigh.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,281,413 times
The lottery is a tax on the poor.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,180,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
The lottery is a tax on the poor.
The lottery is a tax on the stupid. But I am all for free exercise on stupidity. Plus, I rather the money stay in NC, and not support other states.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM

18 posts, read 27,226 times
How is living in Greenville now? I live in a NYC suburb and considering a move south. I'm a nurse and my husband is in IT. I love the beach and Greenville seems like a short distance away, yet close enough to bigger cities like Raleigh. I'd love to hear from people from the tri-state area who moved there and why you like it.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCU RN View Post
How is living in Greenville now? I live in a NYC suburb and considering a move south. I'm a nurse and my husband is in IT. I love the beach and Greenville seems like a short distance away, yet close enough to bigger cities like Raleigh. I'd love to hear from people from the tri-state area who moved there and why you like it.
I grew up in Westchester County, NY, though that was many moons ago.
Lived various other places after that (CA, NV, UT, OR).
Moved to Greenville in mid-2005; stayed there until late 2009. Moved there for a job; left when the company fizzled out.

You'll still be ~1.5 hours from the beach in Greenville. But I enjoyed being close to Raleigh. Wife thought Greenville was way too small for her liking. She wasn't all that sad when the job ended and we had to move - it eventually led us to Winston-Salem, NC, which is not exactly a big city but is a much larger than Greenville. Raleigh is my favorite city in NC, and is probably the most open to "Yankees." I suspect some in Greenville will still not be too welcoming to northerners (though many will be very welcoming).

We love the climate here. This has been my favorite place to live after San Diego. I like that we actually do have seasons here (unlike SoCal), though not nearly as harsh winters as up north. I don't ever intend to return to the tri-state area (thought about it for a while). Commuting is so much easier than in larger cities, though lacking much in the way of freeways, Greenville's surface streets can be frustrating.

We lived in the Eastern Pines area, just outside of the Greenville city limits. Loved the location, but that wouldn't be good if you're working at or near the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina