Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 249,545 times

Advertisements

Within the year, my cousin and I would like to make a move to either the east coast or the west coast. Currently we live in Wisconsin. Right now, our top two choices are Wilmington for the east coast, or San Diego for the west coast. I know these are two very different places, but both have qualities that we like. Right now, I'm leaning towards Wilmington.

Being from the midwest, I don't have a lot of inside info of Wilmington, other than what I've heard from friends who've visited. I've read some of the other threads, but would like to know more in-depth details. What is the average cost of renting in Wilmington? Are the colleges good? How diverse is the culture as well as the people? How are the beaches in Wilmington? Are they clean, sandy, busy, etc. I've heard theres more rocky beaches than sandy ones. Remember, I'm a college student who was born and raised in the midwest. Do you think I'd like it in NC?

I would appreciate any opinions or info. Anything you'd like to add..you don't have to answer those specific questions, just ANY useful info/tips/advice/insight. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,448,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorejoanna View Post
Right now, our top two choices are Wilmington for the east coast, or San Diego for the west coast. I know these are two very different places
Yep, you aren't kidding.

Quote:
What is the average cost of renting in Wilmington? Are the colleges good?
With roomates - think $250/person for a dump, $400/person for an average 3br house, $500-750/person for a nice place in a desirable location (downtown, beaches). Standard vinyl village apartments around here seem like huge rip-offs to me - they tend to be $400/500 per person.

Without roomates - I guess you could find a 1br dump for $400/month, maybe? I'd put the range at $400 - $1000 per month.

Quote:
How diverse is the culture as well as the people?
This is a hard question to answer. You'll have to be more specific - diverse compared to what? diverse in what way? (religious, race, education, wealth, etc.)

Quote:
How are the beaches in Wilmington? Are they clean, sandy, busy, etc. I've heard theres more rocky beaches than sandy ones.
Sandy, not rocky. I think there are a few stretches of beach with coquina rock, but that's the exception.

I think they are the most crowded beaches I've been to - but I was spoiled growing up in South Carolina.

Quote:
Remember, I'm a college student who was born and raised in the midwest. Do you think I'd like it in NC?
Yeah, I do. A friend of mine is from central Illinois, and he really likes it in NC. I see Wisconsin, Illinois, and Ohio tags all the time.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 AM

6 posts, read 249,545 times
Thanks for the info. I would have one roommate, and we were looking for a two bedroom for around 600-800..so that we would be able to pay halves that aren't insanely high. A desirable location would be ideal..and I wouldn't really want a "dump" if it could be avoided. If we had to pay somewhat more for a good place, I'm sure it would be do-able.

As far as diversity..I guess I meant it in an all around/general manner. But to be more specific, and I do not mean to offend, but having grown up in the northern part of Wisconsin in a very small town, with a lot of narrow minded folks, or "hicks" as a lot of people say, I'm most curious to know how open-minded people are about race/religion/politics/etc. Or just open-minded about ideas, art, music, or common interests. I know this varies from person to person and their idea of what open-minded entails, but that's why I left it really vague and didn't specify. Any thoughts? I don't care if it's only opinion.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:39 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,798,803 times
you can get a nice 2 bedroom place for $800 a month. as for the beaches, they aren't rocky. they are sandy. wrightsville beach is a pretty clean beach during the winter but once the unwanted tourists get here, they tend to litter quite a bit. it is pretty diverse here. lots of different people. new yorkers, people from jersey, DC area, PA, and ohio. the only people you won't find here are people from north carolina ironically.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,448,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorejoanna View Post
As far as diversity..I guess I meant it in an all around/general manner. But to be more specific, and I do not mean to offend, but having grown up in the northern part of Wisconsin in a very small town, with a lot of narrow minded folks, or "hicks" as a lot of people say, I'm most curious to know how open-minded people are about race/religion/politics/etc. Or just open-minded about ideas, art, music, or common interests. I know this varies from person to person and their idea of what open-minded entails, but that's why I left it really vague and didn't specify. Any thoughts? I don't care if it's only opinion.
Well, I'll be honest, you'll have to risk offending someone to have a discussion about diversity. For some it is almost a religion - for others it is code language for "Democrat invasion."

But yes, Wilmington is diverse. People here (downtown) strike me as artistic, open minded, independent and creative, but not necessarily intellectual, informed, or motivated.

As far as "hicks" go - I think of Wilmington as an island of transplanted "hip" in a vast wilderness of swampland. This makes for an interesting contrast of people.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,798,803 times
if you want to avoid hicks.........................don't cross that bridge!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,425 times
Just some general input -

I'm not in Wilmington, but I'm a transplant to NC and I feel like Wilmington has some great beaches, nice places to eat and explore. I tend to go off-season so I didn't see much litter.

I get the sense that some locals feel overrun by outsiders and it's probably true. I've found folks to be very nice and made some great new friends, but I bet not everybody's thrilled with the growth and non-native transplants (I'm a "Yankee" - that was news to me, I found out when I got here!).

By any definition I don't feel like things are as diverse here as most urban areas but I've met plenty of interesting, open-minded people (both from the area and other transplants).

I like San Diego but I assume the housing costs are exorbitant, but Wimington may be catching up.

It's interesting to me because I came from a suburban/farming area that went through a huge boom; lots of people moved in, built tons of houses and strip malls and a few years ago things slowed down. Looks pretty bad to me there now. Wilmington and other NC towns seem to be going through that now and I wonder how things will look in a few years.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

217 posts, read 1,114,465 times
I'm an NC native and I live in Wilmington I also attended college here at UNCW. I absolutely loved going to college here and enjoy living here as an adult. I consider Wilmington to be pretty diverse. Also, I have to say your cost of living is going to be much cheaper here in Wilmington. Oh, and my best friend is from Wisconsin and she has visited me several times and LOVES it here. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina