Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 02:45 PM

14 posts, read 22,287 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have not been able to find much information on River Run Plantation here on the forums or by google search. Can anyone tell me about the community? It looks like there are a fair amount of private lots for sale with reasonable HOA fees. I currently live in NC but thinking about retiring closer to the coast next year. Any information is welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capco56 View Post
Hello, I have not been able to find much information on River Run Plantation here on the forums or by google search. Can anyone tell me about the community? It looks like there are a fair amount of private lots for sale with reasonable HOA fees. I currently live in NC but thinking about retiring closer to the coast next year. Any information is welcome. Thanks
The prices seem reasonable. The development has been around for a while, but has not attracted the same attention that others have. Perhaps it is a bit too far from the beaches. However, it has good amenities, any it is near the Dinah Gore Aquatic Center if you want year-round indoor swimming.

I would be cautious about the potential for flooding. One house for sale has a 5-foot tall elevated crawl-space, as if they expected flooding. Another is near a lake, and I would not buy near water after our last experience with a hurricane.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:45 AM

176 posts, read 238,984 times
Since you live in North Carolina I would suggest you take some time (when you feel comfortable) to come and visit the different plantations in the area. They all have a slightly different feel to them. River Run is located a bit far from, well, anything-lol. We seriously considered Winding River (which is close to River Run) as we liked the idea of having a pool and clubhouse on the beach and we liked that it had a boathouse on the Lockwood Folly and a golf course, and we really liked everyone we met there. But we ultimately decided it was just too far from restaurants and stores for us. That may not be an issue for you. But you really need to visit to decide for yourself. And, yes, I would definitely check into flooding issues there as goldenage1 suggested.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:08 AM

300 posts, read 474,421 times
River Run was one of the first "plantations" in Brunswick County. I visited a nice home on the water on the Parade of Homes there last year. I saw a lot of vacant lots and the private roads were not in the best of maintenance. I passed by a section of River Run at the gated entrance that had a fairly large number of trailers or manufactured homes. River Run is located on the Lockwood Folly which is a tidal river and the marshlands are very wide on that section of the river. The Lockwood Folly has closed down NC 211 several times in the last few years.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
I would never consider River Run Plantation for a retirement spot. First of all, it is “out there”. Turn onto Sunset Harbor Drive from 211, then several miles down the road with some run down looking communities along the way. It’s also several miles to get to a grocery store although there is a new gas station, convenience store at the corner of 211. Within the plantation, there are a couple of different sections, one for trailers/mobile homes and one for stick built homes. I was told that the mobile homes must have a brick foundation so they do have a more permanent look. To me, the community is very inconvenient and gives the overall appearance of of needing some TLC. There is a reason why is was started in the 1980’s and there are still plenty of lots available.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 AM

14 posts, read 22,287 times
Thank you all for your input. I do like getting "insider" information from people who have lived in the county for awhile. I am planning to visit over several weekends this year to get a feel for it all and trying to narrow my list of possible areas. I'm currently in Winston Salem and have visited the coast a few times; really liked Southport. It reminded me of growing up in New England. Although I don't mind an area that is more rural since I like my privacy and solitude, I don't want to be isolated either....trying to find that middle ground. Just starting my search so I appreciate your replies. I may tap into your knowledge from time to time if that's okay.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:14 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capco56 View Post
Thank you all for your input. I do like getting "insider" information from people who have lived in the county for awhile. I am planning to visit over several weekends this year to get a feel for it all and trying to narrow my list of possible areas. I'm currently in Winston Salem and have visited the coast a few times; really liked Southport. It reminded me of growing up in New England. Although I don't mind an area that is more rural since I like my privacy and solitude, I don't want to be isolated either....trying to find that middle ground. Just starting my search so I appreciate your replies. I may tap into your knowledge from time to time if that's okay.
Also from New England. Lived in the Raleigh area for 10+ years. Started looking for coastal retirement locations in 2017....visited several areas in NC. As soon as we drove into Southport, we knew we’d found our sweet spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina