U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM

32 posts, read 150,270 times

Advertisements

We're looking at moving to the Windsor/Edenton area from the west coast for several reasons but mainly because I have family close by (1.5 hours) and we have an opportunity to purchase my cousin's home which is a beautiful, historic house in the area of downtown Windsor. I could never afford a home like this otherwise its a very large, majestic house.

We also just had a daughter this year and I want her to grow up near family (we have none in California)... Also, my husband loves to big game fish (he used to do this professionally) so being near the Outer Banks (1.5 hours) and beautiful coast is another draw.

Lastly, I work in the high tech industry, so finding a job where I could telecommute for a company in RTP (1.5 hours) sounds reasonable.

So, while we're aware that this area is very country and somewhat remote and a bit of a drive for shopping or a good selection of restaurants, etc., we're thinking that the COMBINATION of reasons above will make this a good move for us and allow us more options in life (e.g. near family, career, lower cost of living, near beach, nice home), even if it means each of those things are over an hour away.

Any perspectives or opinions on living in the area would be appreciated!

Oh, BTW, we are not church going folks either, although, we are privately spiritual in our beliefs and very tolerant of other religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,079 times
Default Edenton OK, not sure about Windsor??

I know Windsor is county seat but don't know much about town, schools, or community.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,938 times
I live in Windsor. It is a quiet, rural area. If you like the slow life, this is it! Be sure to research the public school system before making a decision. Bertie County schools are not very good. Other than that, Greenville (35 miles) is close enough for shopping and recreation.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 13,885 times
Exclamation Endenton

Edenton is boring. There is nothing here we don't even have a mall. Plus it's totaly a full of old people and tourists!!!!!

Windsor is the same but smaller!!! On the plus side it's like 30-45 minuted to Little Washington!!! Edenton is like 15 minutes to Elizabeth city which has the closest "mall." (collection of stores)

P.S. I live in Edenton it's soooooo boring!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 13,885 times
Bertie School are Verry Bad!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,923 times
I moved here after living in California and Hawaii. I am in Roper, about 20 minutes from Edenton and 20 minutes from Plymouth. I have found life slow, until you get involved with your community. People are friendly. There are alot of activities which are free for the most part, like line dancing - who would have thought that everyone turns out for the dance on Saturday nights in Windsor?

Progress is slow, in fact it seems Edenton goes out of its way to block progress (i.e. major wars over allowing wal mart anywhere close). You will be closer to Greenville than I am which is good because it has a good hospital, university and supporting city (shopping and services).

Outdoor sports are abundant. Saltwater fishing is superb, not just for big game fish, but for blues, striped bass, perch, etc. Also the hunting season seems to be a sport everyone is involved in, deer are abundant. But this is the south, so you will also be exposed to hunting raccoon and deer by dogs. There are several wildlife refuges also in the area.

And as this is the south, church and religion are a big part of life here. It is not an overwhelming feature, but it is always present - i.e. there are many fund raiser activities throughout the year by the churches, fire departments, etc. You will find your neighbors are often involved in these activities. And because this is the south, people are polite, and children will address you as Mr. or Miss.

My opinion of this area has changed after having come here. I thought I would not like it at all, but am finding myself pleasantly surprised at how easy it has become to meet people and get involved.

judykazudy

Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM

39 posts, read 151,381 times
Default Roper?

Judykazudy, I just have to ask (if you're still checking this board), what would take someone from California/Hawaii to Roper, NC? I used to go to Creswell frequently (my mom was from a farm near there and grandparents still lived there), and was most recently there about five years ago. Not much going on - sort of "the land time forgot." If you chose it from a nation of possibilities, I'm just curious about the process. I'm thinking of relocating to a more rural environment and am interested in how others go about analyzing choices and that sort of decision.

Last edited by marksind; 04-23-2008 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,458 times
We purchased a home in Windsor January, 2006. It is in a rural area. We live in New York City [suburb] and come to Windsor for vacation. Windsor is definitely a small town with few attractions. However, we have found the people very friendly, it has a relaxing atmosphere and is not far from Williamston [with a Super Wal Mart], Greenville, Washington and even Elizabeth City. You can find things to do if you put your mind to it!
You'll have to get used to everything closing early; no 24 hour stores! Each time we visit, we try to do or add something to our home there.

A new Middle School was just built, and I haven't heard any negative things about it, but we have no children attending it. The High School might be another story.

Do your research via some of the Windsor websites which can give you additional information.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,458 times
We purchased a home in Windsor January, 2006. It is in a rural area. We maily live in New York City [suburb] and Windsor is definitely a small town with few attractions. However, we have found the people very friendly, it has a relaxing atmosphere and is not far from Willilamston with a Super Wal Mart, Greenville, Washington and even Elizabeth City. You can find things to do if you put your mind to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina