Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,910 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

I am moving to Greenville with my 3 year old daughter in August. I will be a full time (online) student and working part time. I am interested in these three apartments because of the school zones they fall in, pricing, amenities, etc. but I can't find any reviews online for either complex.

Wondering if you guys can help me out. What negative things have you heard about these specific apartment complexes? I.e. crime (within the complex and also within the neighborhood), pests, noise, building quality, etc.

1) Ivy Court Apartments - 3309 Landmark St zip 27834
2) Woodlands Apartments - 3332 Frontgate Dr zip 27834
3) Rosemont Apartments - 1815 Rosemont Dr zip 27858

All fall under the jurisdiction of either Wintergreen Primary or Ridgewood Elementary.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 01:31 AM

1,809 posts, read 2,761,461 times
You can go ahead and rule out anything with a Frontgate Drive address; same goes for the adjacent Kristen Drive and Peed Drive. You'd be better off living in a van in the woods than that area. It is a very unsafe area of town - one of the worst actually.

Landmark and Rosemont are a toss-up. I take it you don't have much of a budget, and I understand. Both are considered somewhat shady, but I wouldn't say there's rampant, in-your-face crime. In the last 2-3 years Rosemont has had a couple of shootings in the parking lot, the by-product of a couple of low-level weed dealers, who may or may not have even lived there. That doesn't make Landmark any safer. That neighborhood produced our one infamous mass shooter a couple years back. I know these all sound horrible, but they were all isolated incidents. There's plenty of good citizens in these neighborhoods, but the units are cheap, so there are some suspect residents living there as well. Both neighborhoods are convenient to both ECU and Pitt Community College.

The Landmark Rd neighborhood sits behind the convention center and three hotels (though there is no through-traffic going through the neighborhood), and is directly across the street from our oldest SuperWalmart (Target is close by as well), but it's also adjacent to railroad tracks and a lot of traffic. It's basically in the dead center of the entire town, geographically speaking.

Rosemont is actually in one of the best parts of town - Bells Fork. Rosemont's location is super convenient to several grocery stores, gas stations, fast food, etc. The Rosemont complex is split on both sides of County Home Rd (an extension of Arlington Blvd - one of Greenville's most important streets). The smaller side of the complex (on the southbound side of County Home Rd) has a much better reputation than the other side of the complex, which is much bigger. If you can get on "the good side" of Rosemont, this could be your best choice of the three you gave. It may cost $15-$25 more per month to get on that side, but it'd be worth it. For what it's worth, the walls in these units are kinda thin. It helps to run a tv or a fan to even out some of the noise.

I wish I could tell you that there are better options for cheap rentals in Greenville, but really there isn't. I suppose you could also look into Tower Village apartments, which is on Firetower Rd, about a mile or so from Rosemont.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:38 PM

181 posts, read 240,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
You can go ahead and rule out anything with a Frontgate Drive address; same goes for the adjacent Kristen Drive and Peed Drive. You'd be better off living in a van in the woods than that area. It is a very unsafe area of town - one of the worst actually.

Landmark and Rosemont are a toss-up. I take it you don't have much of a budget, and I understand. Both are considered somewhat shady, but I wouldn't say there's rampant, in-your-face crime. In the last 2-3 years Rosemont has had a couple of shootings in the parking lot, the by-product of a couple of low-level weed dealers, who may or may not have even lived there. That doesn't make Landmark any safer. That neighborhood produced our one infamous mass shooter a couple years back. I know these all sound horrible, but they were all isolated incidents. There's plenty of good citizens in these neighborhoods, but the units are cheap, so there are some suspect residents living there as well. Both neighborhoods are convenient to both ECU and Pitt Community College.

The Landmark Rd neighborhood sits behind the convention center and three hotels (though there is no through-traffic going through the neighborhood), and is directly across the street from our oldest SuperWalmart (Target is close by as well), but it's also adjacent to railroad tracks and a lot of traffic. It's basically in the dead center of the entire town, geographically speaking.

Rosemont is actually in one of the best parts of town - Bells Fork. Rosemont's location is super convenient to several grocery stores, gas stations, fast food, etc. The Rosemont complex is split on both sides of County Home Rd (an extension of Arlington Blvd - one of Greenville's most important streets). The smaller side of the complex (on the southbound side of County Home Rd) has a much better reputation than the other side of the complex, which is much bigger. If you can get on "the good side" of Rosemont, this could be your best choice of the three you gave. It may cost $15-$25 more per month to get on that side, but it'd be worth it. For what it's worth, the walls in these units are kinda thin. It helps to run a tv or a fan to even out some of the noise.

I wish I could tell you that there are better options for cheap rentals in Greenville, but really there isn't. I suppose you could also look into Tower Village apartments, which is on Firetower Rd, about a mile or so from Rosemont.

Good luck to you!
This is really good advice.

I really wish there was some beautification/work done on that Landmark St. area because it's surrounded by 2 of Greenville's quaintest and best looking neighborhoods in Lynncroft and Belvedere. You'd think people would target that street for development considering the Convention Center and those neighborhoods surrounding it. At any rate, if you do choose those apartments - you'll be in a fine area, but as he mentioned, there is a lot of density and traffic in that area.

Rosemont may be your best bet, it backs right up to Winterville which too is a nice little area to live.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
This thread was so informative. Does anyone have any current information on the safest apartments for undergraduates at ECU? Looking for a transfer student. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:48 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,761,461 times
Rentals in the Bells Fork Area of Greenville

I made the linked thread nearly five years ago for one area of Greenville. Nothing has really changed in Bells Fork in terms of rentals since then, but there has been a good deal of new retail in that area. This thread would be good starting point for your search.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:37 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardianangel2018 View Post
This thread was so informative. Does anyone have any current information on the safest apartments for undergraduates at ECU? Looking for a transfer student. Thanks in advance for any help.
My son lived at Copper Beach a few years ago, and it seemed safe:

Student Apartments for Rent in North Carolina | Copper Beech Greenville

Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
Thank you both for your feedback. If anyone else has more information on student apartments, it would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina