Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 07:34 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,409 times

Advertisements

we are going to wilmington this weekend.
can anyone please tell me
1. will we enjoy there in this weather?
2. which arre the main attractions here? (for a family of 3)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
we are going to wilmington this weekend.
can anyone please tell me
1. will we enjoy there in this weather?
2. which arre the main attractions here? (for a family of 3)
Not sure what you mean by "will we enjoy there in this weather" but if you are asking will the weather be nice it's relative to the person asking the question. It will be in the mid 60s and closer to the shore it's usually accompanied by colder air coming off of the ocean. It will be sunny though but I would not go to the beach myself. You on the other hand may want to but that's the forecast for the weekend.

As far as attractions, the main one is probably Screen Gems Studio (TV and Movie) but for a list of stuff you should go to:

Cape Fear Coast CVB

Enjoy your weekend!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,630 times
We always take the Fort Fisher ferry across and then have lunch on the island. Once you get back off, there is an aquarium there right off of Fort Fisher beach. There is also a museum close by, but we've never been. We also like the Cotton Mill (Gin?) shopping area. You can stroll along the shops, see the Battleship (tour if you like) etc.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM

thanks to tluv and priorityone.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:22 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
thanks to tluv and priorityone.
Anytime! Have fun.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:26 AM

27 posts, read 59,664 times
Trusam, my husband and I went to Wilmington during the winter three years ago (in January). If you're not expecting to layout on the beach and/or swim in the ocean, you can definitely enjoy yourself in this weather.

We toured the U.S.S. North Carolina battleship, and it was actually quite interesting. If your child is a bit older (5 years +), it would likely be a good choice. We walked on the beach (in our coats and jeans), and that was a really nice change of pace. We also went downtown, and it was nice to walk around there. There was a older-style theater that we saw a play at as well (I can't remember the name), but it was a great production. That might be worth checking out.

If you like seafood, I would definitely make restaurants a focus of your trip, as we found lots of great food during our trip to Wilmington. Fresh seafood restaurants abound in that area.

From what I remember, there's a lighthouse not too far from Wilmington, so you might want to research that. Also, they offer tours of the historic district (really pretty old homes), but we didn't go on one, so I can't speak to it.

Finally, if you like touring college campuses, there's always UNC-Wilmington. And...if you have a younger child and need familiarity during the weekend, there's a Chuck E. Cheese not too far from the beach! Enjoy your trip!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
How old are your kids? There are lots of things to do with kids, both big and little, but it would help to know up front.

As far as going to the beach in the colder weather, we love to go down this time of year (we have a place in Wrightsville, the closest beach to Wilmington). We just put on our sweaters and jeans or whatever is comfortable and take long walks and look for shells. It is beautiful this time of year and not too crowded. At the beach you can eat lunch at Dockside, Blue Water or South Beach and sit outside and watch the boats. In downtown Wilmington, there is a great river walk that connects the shops and restaurants...stroll along that. There are carraige rides and ghost and history walks if you are interested in seeing the old houses, etc. There are some great restaurants, such as Deluxe. On the riverwalk, there is a great little place called Catalan where you can sit outside, get a glass of wine and a cheese plate and watch the people walk by and the boats.

The aquarium and Ft. Fisher are about 30 minutes south of Wilmington past Carolina and Kure BEach, but the aquarium is a great one. I have never stopped at Ft. Fischer, but know that people that are into history enjoy it. I second the PP who recommends the battleship...it is fun even if you are not really into history.

If you like to do things outside, there are kayak tours of the marshes and deep sea fishing.

Let us know what types of things you are interested in, and the ages of your kids and maybe I can tell you more.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM

after reading all these replies, now i have some idea about the place and weather and attractions. i guess we will definitely enjoy there!!!

thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina