Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 88,787 times

Advertisements

I am 36, female, divorced, unattached and an optometrist and looking to get out of Pittsburgh, PA. I have had enough winter. I would like a small coastal town, that I can walk or ride my bike to most things. I have a dog and would like the town to be friendly to her too. I need to be close to a city with an airport to visit my family. I have considered opening up a practice. Can someone give me some direction?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM

148 posts, read 608,970 times
You can checkout Swansboro, Cape Carteret or even Emerald Isle and Morehead City...Great schools...Three airports close by....

Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM

7,067 posts, read 12,573,364 times
I was thinking about what you asked about "best" coastal towns in NC, and while I really like our area of Beaufort and the Crystal Coast a lot, your best town requirements might be different than mine.

So here's what I was thinking--what if you contact the offices of economic development/Chambers in towns once you narrow them down a bit, and see which towns have a greater need for your field--if you decide to open a practice?

As far as dog-friendly, I feel our area is fairly friendly--we're working to convince the town mothers and fathers of opening a dog park, but there are several places where I take my dog where he can be off-leash--but under voice control. And as our area is pan-cake flat, it makes for nice strolls with pooch along the waterfront and through leafy historic-district streets. You'll meet lots of other dog-owners doing the same.

There are good vets a plenty in Beaufort and neighboring towns.

And I do ride my bicycle most everywhere (those easy, flat streets!)

Our nearest, non-private airport is about 45 minutes away in New Bern and most flights connect through Charlotte.

Hope this helps...I was originally from a small town outside of Phila., and find this area very congenial. Folks are truly nice. Good place to find community, if that's important to you.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 AM

33 posts, read 152,253 times
Anyone answering yet? I too am from the Burg but I live in Phoenix. I too am considering Carolinas.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magyar4321869 View Post
Anyone answering yet? I too am from the Burg but I live in Phoenix. I too am considering Carolinas.
yes they are can you not see the posts above yours?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:07 AM

7 posts, read 88,787 times
Thank you for the information. I have heard also that Oak Island is cool. Anyone know anything about that?? I did notice there was no optometrist on the island. My office would be a boutique, higher end office, as my current one is in Pittsburgh, so I would need the higher incomes to support it. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM

713 posts, read 3,914,405 times
Smile Look at Beaufort & Swansboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhiggins View Post
I am 36, female, divorced, unattached and an optometrist and looking to get out of Pittsburgh, PA. I have had enough winter. I would like a small coastal town, that I can walk or ride my bike to most things. I have a dog and would like the town to be friendly to her too. I need to be close to a city with an airport to visit my family. I have considered opening up a practice. Can someone give me some direction?????
We moved to the western side of Carteret County in September 2006. I personally feel that the area is one of the best kept secrets on the east coast.

Both Beaufort and Swansboro fit what you are looking for in a town. Emerald Isle also does if you want to live on the shore. It is the best bicycle town with easy access to the grocery store from the town's bike baths. There are plenty of year round residents, but you have to pick your neighborhood to find them. I love Emerald Isle, it's where we do all our beach walking.

The whole area is dog friendly. Dogs are permitted and very welcome on the beaches when on leash. Swansboro does have a town cat, Morris, but he seems smart enough to stay out of the way of most dogs. I see dogs being walked on the Beaufort dock walk all of the time.

The differences between Beaufort and Swansboro are best figured out through a visit. I could give you a list but it really boils down to personal taste and budget. The towns appeal to different types of visitors.

I have taken some folks to Beaufort and they love it and others really like the fishing village feeling that you get in Swansboro.

If you do a Google search for "Coastal NC Paradise," you will usually find something that I have written about the area on my "Coastal NC" website.

I recently wrote an article, "Ten ways Carteret County met our needs."

To finish answering your questions, there are airports in Jacksonville and New Bern. Depending on where you live, you would likely not be more than thirty five minutes from an airport.

Here is a map of our area showing some services near Swansboro and the airport locations and Beaufort.

We have had several people from Pennsylvania down recently so you must be having a cold winter.

Here's a shot taken of part of the Swansboro waterfront just a few days ago.

http://coastalnc.org/swansborofeb08 (broken link)

This is another recent shot taken of the White Oak River about a mile from Swansboro.

http://coastalnc.org/onthewhiteoakfeb (broken link)

We also benefit from having the Croatan National Forest which is where the photo was shot. It gives us a nice balance of undeveloped woods, beautiful beaches, small towns, and wonderful waterways.

Our most recent new residents from western Pennsylvania are really enjoying their first winter here. They have two dogs and are still excited about being able to do long walks in our mild weather. They tell me what they like the most is the consistent blue skies and sunshine.

This is a series of mostly sunset shots that I taken which have been shown by the local TV weatherman. Don't worry, the snowy house is our place in Roanoke, Va. The rest of the shots are in Swansboro-Cape Carteret-Emerald Isle area.

We don't do snow along the beach except maybe once a decade for a few hours. Last January we only had 19 hours of below freezing temperatures for the month. I haven't done this year's number, but I don't think they are much different.

On Thursday it was eighty degrees, I was in shorts and barefooted out working on my my boat.

I hope this gives you a good idea of the area. If I can answer more specific questions, give me a shout or send me a private message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,802,255 times
The largest group of tourist to our crystal coast come from in-state. I consider myself to be an in-land neighbor of Beaufort - Emerald Isle area and visit when possible (not enought, it is always "not enough") Other people from the state visit our coast, mostly for the fishing, ocean, sun, sand, waves, smell of sea air, it is a wonderful place to take my dogs, they love it also. Frolic-ing in the waves seems to keep their attention, they sleep well when at the beach, as do I. The largest non-N.C. group of tourists to the N.C. shores come from Pennsylvania. They seem to enjoy the laid-back, very casual atmosphere of our Crystal Coast. As suggested in other posts, if you like Oysters, some of the world's finest come from this area, if you don't like Oysters...even better, leaves more for me!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 227,296 times
Southport is your ticket! It's a nice, historic town. With big money, lots of little shops and boutiques, coffee shops, good food, ect... The beach (Oak Island and Caswell Beach) are close by. As well as Bald Head Island, a foot ferry away. And a vehicle ferry to Fort Fisher, where there are miles of protected, untouched beaches. And the best part, no snow!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 33,860 times
Check out Sunset Beach, NC! Small beach town (GREAT BEACH!) with great houses on the island and on the mainland (Sea Trail Plantation). About 15 minutes south of Shallotte, 20 minutes north of Myrtle Beach, 45 minutes southwest of Wilmington. Small, comfy, safe town but close to much more. Airports in Myrtle and Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina