Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 07:22 AM

88 posts, read 185,070 times

Advertisements

looking to buy retirement home in wilmington/ southport area/ how bad are the homeowners/ flood insurance rates? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:30 PM

15 posts, read 68,107 times
not bad at all. I hear mostly from my clients moving down from up north that they compare very well. the beaches can be much higher, tho not necessarily. For example, a 2350 sf beach house I have that is valued at around $500,000 has a tax bill of $2900/year and pays around $3700/yr. for insurance, (and is 4 blocks from the ocean and has an elevator.)

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM

43 posts, read 113,014 times
Default Insurance companies

I am having a hard time getting names of insurance companies to call to get quotes. I am purchasing a property in Bolivia and several companies just flat out said No, they would not insure properties in Brunswick County. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otstr View Post
I am having a hard time getting names of insurance companies to call to get quotes. I am purchasing a property in Bolivia and several companies just flat out said No, they would not insure properties in Brunswick County. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Moderator Note;

Please send recommindations via Direct Message and becareful not to spam.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM

25 posts, read 126,511 times
Default Insurance

Agrossi: Depends on where your moving from. We just had some friends more here (Wilmington) last week from Illinois and their insurance was 3X what their 1000 square foot larger home in Illinois was. They said it was the biggest shock of their move. When you narrow down your location and approimate size of home, call a few agents and get quotes. That will be your best bet.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,998 times
I am from South Florida, and can tell you that homeowner insurance is a MAJOR problem down here. There is no private insurance available to homes older than 1994 (pre-Andrew construction) or east of I-95. Anyone in those homes have to purchase insurance through the state at much higher rates. We are fortunate enough to have private insurance because we purchased it before the insurance companies stopped providing coverage, but we have seen our insurance rise from $3k per year to $9k per year in the last three years. The comprable state insurance is about $11k per year.

Are there similar discussions/problems going on like this on the NC coast? Specifically, Wilmington, Hampstead area? What about if your home is actually on the coast? Does the state offer its own form of insurance for people who are unable to get private insurance?

Also, I have heard that NC has very high auto insurance rates. Is this true? If so, what are the numbers?

Any help would be great. We are considering a move to SE NC to get out of the crazy-Miami lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina