Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 07:05 AM

104 posts, read 148,668 times

Advertisements

We plan to retire in the NewBern/Beaufort Area. Currently we're remodeling our house to sell it, trying to at least break even. Before buying we want to rent for a year to get the feel of the area. Our rental budget is restricted to about $800 per month, based on our combined Social Security income (We are planning to start a small business once we are settled).
Our estimated date to move in mid to late summer. We like rural settings but with a supermarket not too far away. A mobile or manufactured home would be acceptable if it is not in a mobile subdivision. We also would consider making repairs on a fixer house in exchange for reduced rent. I have an extensive background as a carpenter and building contractor. I also teach high school English and plan to substitute teach.
We are looking for a real estate agent who understands our needs and who can help us find a rental and later to purchase a house. shoot me an e-mail if your are such an agent or know someone who could help us.

Thanks,

Albert
ambrich@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
We are looking for a real estate agent who understands our needs and who can help us find a rental and later to purchase a house. shoot me an e-mail if your are such an agent or know someone who could help us.
I sent you a Direct Message about a firm which showed us around New Bern. We ultimately did not buy there, but they helped us with no strings attached. They had several rentals in your price range.

I really think you should look for a different firm in Beaufort, as the towns are not that close. It will probably be harder to find an affordable place in Beaufort in a good area as it is so much closer to the ocean. (For example, on Realtor.com there are only two tiny cottagesin your price range.) There are some posters here who do real estate, and they will probably contact you.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Our estimated date to move in mid to late summer. We like rural settings but with a supermarket not too far away. A mobile or manufactured home would be acceptable if it is not in a mobile subdivision.
Rather than looking for a Realtor, I'd suggest keeping watch on https://eastnc.craigslist.org/ for housing in your price range. Look at Havelock, Newport, James City and Morehead City as well as New Bern and Beaufort.

In the price range you are seeking, many owners do not involve real estate firms, and handle the rentals for themselves.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 13,363 times
A buyers agency is free. Why would you not get a broker?

Old 03-16-2016, 05:55 AM

104 posts, read 148,668 times
Thank you all for your advice and information. I've spent most of my adult life working as a carpenter/contractor in Port Townsend, WA on the Olympic Peninsula and I'm not at home in big cities. The "Down East" Low Country towns appeal to me plus Diane and love your coastal marine environment and great seafood--although the Northwest has the edge on salmon. We plan to travel to your area in May of June and will visit the towns mentioned in the posts above. I see from looking at realtor.com that Kinston has some less expensive properties. It's a bit farther from the salt water but might be worth considering if it's a nice town. We will also hear many positive things about Southport--an artsy town on the coast south of Wilmington. It might be too "groovy" for us but we'll take a look at it.
Again, thank you all.
Albert and Diane

Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 AM

398 posts, read 498,375 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your advice and information. I've spent most of my adult life working as a carpenter/contractor in Port Townsend, WA on the Olympic Peninsula and I'm not at home in big cities. The "Down East" Low Country towns appeal to me plus Diane and love your coastal marine environment and great seafood--although the Northwest has the edge on salmon. We plan to travel to your area in May of June and will visit the towns mentioned in the posts above. I see from looking at realtor.com that Kinston has some less expensive properties. It's a bit farther from the salt water but might be worth considering if it's a nice town. We will also hear many positive things about Southport--an artsy town on the coast south of Wilmington. It might be too "groovy" for us but we'll take a look at it.
Again, thank you all.
Albert and Diane
Its not. You do want to even consider moving to Kinston. There is a reason houses are so cheap.

Quote:
We will also hear many positive things about Southport--an artsy town on the coast south of Wilmington. It might be too "groovy" for us but we'll take a look at it.
Again, thank you all.
Albert and Diane
Southport is a wonderful town. It has a vibrant arts scene, but I wouldn't say that defines the town. Not sure what you mean by "groovy"? Its not a throwback hippy commune by any stretch of the imagination. Its also not particularly close to New Bern, if that matters.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yealink141 View Post
A buyers agency is free. Why would you not get a broker?
They are looking to rent first with a budget of $800. I don't see a buyer broker spending much time with them, but I did suggest a firm in New Bern.

BTW, they should not bother with Kinston. There seems to be at least one murder per week there, and lots of hold-ups and arson. The crime stats are twice the national average: http://www.city-data.com/city/Kinsto...-Carolina.html

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-16-2016 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina