U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 203,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricktrow View Post
I think Jmarquise is playing devils advocate, and I can appreciate that( calling a spade a spade), especially when many realtor's you talk to sugar coat just about everything just to get you to buy.( I don't think all realtors are bad) His objective views help to paint a more realistic picture of the area.
EXACTLY!

Fortysixandtwo, where are you? Let's really get this party started! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 PM

14 posts, read 40,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Patrick, I understand what you're saying. My comments were not directed at JM... I just used his quote as a convenient branching point in the conversation. My rant was meant more as advice for prospective transplants.

For example: buying a house in the country, next to a bunch of cotton fields, might seem quaint in an old South kind of way. However, for a couple of weeks out of the year, the farmer will most likely be spraying his fields with an unpleasant smelling herbicide mix to defoliate the plants for harvesting. The smell tends to carry several hundred yards, at least. Little things like that are good to know before buying in a rural area.
I understand what your saying, we see the same things happening in Oregon where new development encroaches farming area's and the next thing you know people who not two years earlier were living in So Cal in the city are now petitioning to have a 3 rd generation hay farmer limit his operation because they don't like the dust,smell,noise, you name it. I think it's human nature to pull those stunts, the only thing you can hope is that the state has the statutes in place to protect these farmers. I also think it is a realtors job to properly educate newly transplanted city folk on the potential conflict in these agricultural area's.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:22 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
oh man, someone didn't appreciate my comments on brunswick county. she didn't agree with me so she asked for a moderator. she is either a real estate agent, or a politician. I actually didn't slam all of brunswick county, just once you get passed civilization, aka leland. I was referring to places like supply, and bolivia. places where the words "permanent foundation" means you traded the wheels for cinder blocks. places where if you get into a fight with your neighbor, you get in your house, start it, put it in drive, and move. sleestak, I agree with you about some of the jerks that come down here and expect everyone else to change their ways. I even made fun of st. james demanding that wal mart close one day a week so that the residents of st. james could shop without waiting in line with locals. I just try to answer questions honestly. if you aren't retiring to just play golf, brunswick county has very little to offer. every time I try to give an honest opinion, it seems like the real estate agents are lurking. waiting to tell lies.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:59 PM

39 posts, read 198,579 times
I agree that Brunswick County is a strange area. I'm sorry for my poor manners (not being a local and all) but I shy away from subdivisions next to trailer parks. I suggest Cove Landing or Grayson Park or Waterford. Very Nice subdivisions. Seems everyone around here worries way too much about where someone is from. Just cause someones great granddaddy didnt eat oysters off the boat doesnt mean his opinion is less valuable. I think Raleigh is much more welcoming to nonlocals.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:50 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,354,022 times
the best part of brunswick county is the stray dogs. oh wait, no, it's the stray cats. I am not talking domestic house cats either. when they closed the faircloth zoo, they believe that the owner might have released a "big cat" into the wild. they kept finding stray dogs torn to shreds. noooooooooo, nothing strange about that area. they closed the zoo. I actually feel sorry for those that never got the chance to experience the glory of that place.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM

232 posts, read 690,624 times
Surv, I think you misinterpreted my post, but in any case, your manners are just fine. Live where you feel comfortable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina