U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 8,934 times

Advertisements

My wife and I researched every golf course community from DeBordieu to Wilmington and liked Ocean Ridge and St James Plantation the best overall. We purchased a lot at SJP primarily because the golf is less open to the public than OR or almost all the courses in the Myrtle Beach area. The courses closer to Myrtle Beach get lots of play from golf trips. Both communities are very nice and if the amount of outside play is not a factor OR is a very good choice. Both have beach clubs which was another important criteria for us. The Marina was the other amenity that swung us toward SJP. We have visited SJP a couple of times since our purchase and feel even better about our purchase. Very friendly community with a lot of activities. We actually just purchased a second lot on the water near the Marina and a wet slip. A great time to buy as things are still very slow and prices have dropped considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,919,687 times
Thanks Dave. On a night like tonight we are expecting 15 inches of snow in new jersey, monmouth county, gotta get outta here

Ha!!

Jim

Old 12-20-2009, 01:08 PM

169 posts, read 511,738 times
I know what you mean we had Golf Delays at all 4 clubs due to FROST. I don't know how we stand it.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,643 times
hi jmarquise December, 2009

I recently visited the Wilmington area.
I am looking for a retirement home/community with some social ammenities (golf etc).
I'm looking in north Brunswick County because I can't spend what it takes to live NE of thcity - (near Mayfair TC / Wrightsville Beach - lalthough I know it is more built-up and developed there...
Can you give me your advice on the Logan Homes builder and the new community in Leland - Compass Pointe - if there is a local opinion? and, can you tell me if you know of more of a shopping area closer than that on Rt 17, built near Magnolia Greens? I saw MG - it is beautiful, but I am not ready to buy a "resale"... I am looking at a move 18-24 months out.
thanks for your help

Kathy

Old 12-31-2009, 06:45 AM

18 posts, read 42,907 times
When we built our (non-beach) house in Oak Island in 1974, it was still Long Beach, and there are many of us who wish it still were. The town limits were expanded over to the other side of the bridge so that more taxes could be added and it has done nothing to help our town. Oh, well, if you consider the only new store in town is the Food Lion and yet we have lost a lot of the small businesses that could not make it. Our taxes are terrible and houses are only assessed every four years. That means I am still being billed the same tax rate now as when the houses were at the peak of the real estate and it's killing us. We also have a house outside of Washington, DC (Fairfax, VA) and pay the same amount in real estate tax as we do in Oak Island and our mortgage rates are the same. I can't imagine what Southport residents are paying. As for St. James.....what my term (snobby) means is that it is a very white, ovepriced, segregated community and the people who do live there probably have never been on the pier (unless to take visitors) or pass by on their yachts. Everyone has the right to live where they want and that's fine but if they only knew how they came across whenever you drive onto their community or are next to them in a restaurant (The Pharmacy), they are enclosed in their little bubble. Sorry St. Jamesers, I almost bought there when it first opened but am so glad I didn't. It's been 35 years at Oak Island and I may not hang out at the Moose club but when I did go there, I felt like I knew everyone because they were friendly and a community of real people. I may not play golf but I certainly love sitting on the pier and watching the fishermen do their thing. See you at the Pharmacy, I'll be the one in shorts looking at the wine list and laughing with my friends.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Since you brought up the Food Lion Store, I would like to point out that it was built on several blocks of (what used to be) live oak forest. The town proclaimed their intention of protecting Oak Island trees and habitat, but, what happened was that those trees were bulldozed to make way for the Food Lion and its parking lot. The township failed to protect a beautiful part of Oak Island.

“what my term (snobby) means is that it is a very white, overpriced, segregated community”

Segregated? I guess my neighbors across the way didn’t get the memo. They are black and own Taylors restaurant in Southport. I would stipulate that gated golf course communities do not attract a large number of minorities. That does not mean that they discriminate, exclude, or segregate. BTW my black neighbors have a nicer house than mine.

I would challenge the overpriced charge as well. I doubt that you have done a price analysis of surrounding communities on a cost/benefit basis.

The fact that St. James is never listed in the “Police Blotter” section of the State Port Pilot is a constant source of comfort for me. Oak Island usually has the longest “Police Blotter” report. My golf clubs have been left in my driveway overnight (I know that was stupid, but I still have them). Brian Mull was not so lucky, guess he doesn’t live in St. James.

My wife and I have been on both piers and most sections of the beaches on Oak Island. There are nearly 3,000 residents in St James and about 300 boat slips. Most of us are not “cruising by on yachts”.

As for the pharmacy, my wife and I dine there regularly (did you know it’s up for sale?). Whenever we go, we try to get a window seat. We usually talk to whoever is seated next to us, often it’s a visitor but occasionally it’s someone local and sometimes someone from St. James that we do not know.

“Sorry St. Jamesers, I almost bought there when it first opened but am so glad I didn't.”

And why would that be? If you had bought a golf course property in St. James prior to 1997, your property would have gone from around $25,000 to more than $250,000 in the following 8 years. I guess you must have had some other way to earn 1000% interest…

See you at the Pharmacy, I'll be the one in shorts looking at the wine list and laughing with my friends.

Your perception of St. James people is distorted by your prejudices. We too drink wine and have fun with our friends (many of which are locals) St. James benefits the surrounding communities in many ways and we get recognition from those who actually are active in their communities for the many things that St. James people contribute to Brunswick County and surrounding communities. Our annual flea market generates around $25,000 in scholarship every year. How much does sitting around in your shorts and laughing with your friends contribute? Just wondering.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM

572 posts, read 1,387,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post

“Sorry St. Jamesers, I almost bought there when it first opened but am so glad I didn't.”

And why would that be? If you had bought a golf course property in St. James prior to 1997, your property would have gone from around $25,000 to more than $250,000 in the following 8 years. I guess you must have had some other way to earn 1000% interest…
Golf course property in St James cost $250,000?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:21 PM

196 posts, read 510,422 times
Default Perceptions

[b][i]How is it the community of St. James has developed such a negative view by the surrounding community?
I don't have a horse in this race, recently here, temporary, hopefully gone in 10 but I'm intrigued by how St. James seems to have alienated so many. I speak not just about postings here but in conversations I've had with neighbors and some who are not.
I know about the annexation issue and the controversy it has generated but then there are other topics such as petitioning for a separate zip code and making requests of the local Lowes supermkt to have dedicated hours for St. James residents. I don't know whether the last two items are in fact true but the reality is they are what many people believe.
Crimson responds,
Quote:
Your perception of St. James people is distorted by your prejudices.
I'd have to ask how'd these prejudices developed.

My own opinion is this is an illustration of what can happen when people come to an area and set themselves apart behind a gate while simultaneously impacting lives of their neighbors thru issues like annexation.
I'm not a fan of the ubiqitous gated community but my observations tell me that most manage to exist in harmony with those around them. What happened here? Are the people of St. James even aware of how they are perceived or the gate makes it easy to ignore?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM

“Golf course property in St James cost $250,000?”
All golf course lots have been sold. My builder was looking for a new golf course lot to build a spec home five years ago and he told me he could not find anything under $250,000.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Correction some golf course lots in the Reserve may still be available but people are paying even more than $250,000 for ordinary lots there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina