U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM

11,145 posts, read 19,248,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
No Tommy Thompson's but the bar had a good crowd for happy hour with $1.50 drafts. When I mentioned to anyone that I was looking at SJ or OR for a move in 4-5 years they all pushed OR, no surprise. The comments on SJ were traffic on 211 and being isolated. They said OR gives you a wider variety of courses in the area and access to NMB and all it has to offer.

Everyone I met was a relo mostly from the Northeast and love it there.
As a service to other folks, please consider editing this a bit and posting it as a separate thread titled "Ocean Ridge". It is very helpful piece, but it is buried here in the chatter on SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 AM

455 posts, read 475,356 times
Dear caco54, we had narrowed down my choices to St James, Ocean Ridge and Winding River before buying a lot at St James. The reasons why I eliminated Ocean Ridge were as follows:

1) I was concerned about the financial stability of the developer. At the time the developer had just purchased another tract (Jaguars Liar) while there was still an overabundance of lots in the original development. I also believe that the developers were opening River Run at the same time. We visited River Run and it appeared to be vastly empty.
2) I believe that River Run shares the beach house with Ocean Ridge. The limited parking would be a lot worse than your original concern.
3) the golf courses are public. As a golfer I would be concerned about the availability of Tee Times
4) Our visitors package excluded the use of any of the facilities. We were not allowed to use the pool or gym or anything but golf. While also touring these facilities i found the members to be cold and we were made to feel like outsiders.

We eliminated Ocean Ridge from our choices and concentrated on Winding River and St James

Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 AM

783 posts, read 1,598,444 times
Canals.... just an FYI.... they are under construction on the house right next to your lot......

Old 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM

455 posts, read 475,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Canals.... just an FYI.... they are under construction on the house right next to your lot......

I better bring a welcome gift on my next trip!
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,918,007 times
Question to the Group.
Although the wifecerous and I were focused on buying a existing home as we are still 4-5 years out on full time retirement I do have a question or 2 on the New Home building process. I have never gone this route before and somewhat of a novice.
I understand i have to buy " a lot" in the plantation. Got that down pat.
Next I would have to find a quality builder. If anyone has any reccomendations please feel free to send to me via email. jtf51irish@aol.com.
So lets say i narrow it down to 2-3 builders. If i contact them will they provide a list of models with "ball park" prices to build? Or a base model? I'm sure you would have to add 25% more ca$h for upgrades etc.... But is this how the process works??
Can I call them "live in Nu Joisey" and will they send out packetts with such information???

To some these questions might seem ridiculous for a 58 year old but as I said this process is all new to me.....

Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 AM

851 posts, read 1,467,154 times
Thanks for you input Canals (by the way my son lives on Olive). OR is taking property next door to the beach house for additional parking so it must have been an issue. Once again I have 4-5 more years and after building twice and seeing the nice homes in both developments a re sale will suit me fine. They have 9 holes at Jaguar's Lair complete but are holding off to open until better times. There were 36 from the old Angels Trace courses and they said they picked the best 18. Something to keep an eye on.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 10,583 times
hello biscman
We just purchased a lot at SJP and we too are novices at the building a house thing. Maybe we can learn together from the group.
What we have learned so far is that SJP has a recommended builder list or guild. These builders have been screened and are supposed to be financially stable and quality builders.
Our sales rep suggested we start with three builders from this list: Logan Homes, Kent Homes, and Bill Clark Homes. I think these were suggested because they have already existing floor plans that are within our price range.
We had time to visit only one which was Logan. They have a design center outside of Wilmington with samples of cabinetry, counters, etc as well as printed floor plans with options and prices. We were also taken to a three model homes that were in the area so we could get a sense of the quality and finish. The Logan rep we spoke with was very knowledgeable about SJP because they have built there frequently and was very helpful. We hope to visit the other two builders on our next visit. The list of guild builders is on SJ web site and at least some of them have web sites where you can ask for more information.
Questions for the group:

Do you have an suggestions for us about a builder that you know from experience or reputation that we should seek out(or avoid). You can DM me at jmc547@yahoo.com.

What are the pitfalls that we building rookies should watch out for? We need all the help we can get.

Thanks for your input...

Old 04-07-2012, 07:41 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,918,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc547 View Post
hello biscman
We just purchased a lot at SJP and we too are novices at the building a house thing. Maybe we can learn together from the group.
What we have learned so far is that SJP has a recommended builder list or guild. These builders have been screened and are supposed to be financially stable and quality builders.
Our sales rep suggested we start with three builders from this list: Logan Homes, Kent Homes, and Bill Clark Homes. I think these were suggested because they have already existing floor plans that are within our price range.
We had time to visit only one which was Logan. They have a design center outside of Wilmington with samples of cabinetry, counters, etc as well as printed floor plans with options and prices. We were also taken to a three model homes that were in the area so we could get a sense of the quality and finish. The Logan rep we spoke with was very knowledgeable about SJP because they have built there frequently and was very helpful. We hope to visit the other two builders on our next visit. The list of guild builders is on SJ web site and at least some of them have web sites where you can ask for more information.
Questions for the group:

Do you have an suggestions for us about a builder that you know from experience or reputation that we should seek out(or avoid). You can DM me at jmc547@yahoo.com.

What are the pitfalls that we building rookies should watch out for? We need all the help we can get.

Thanks for your input...

Hey JMC!
Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the response. If you get any DM's and you don't mind sharing send me a copy. jtf51irish@aol.com

My buddy had a house built by a Builder by the last name "Johnson" and they build a beautiful home. Excellent quality as well. Initially they were going to use Logan but opted for this Builder. I am told Kent is a pretty good one as well.

I would love to hear from anyone who lives far away (I am in Jersey) and went through the building process. Was it frustrating being so far away? How did you handle last minute changes? etc......

All my friends who went through the building process rented condos while building or lived in Charlotte.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 AM

78 posts, read 166,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas tim View Post
Stonereek,Pony Pride,Poodlecamper and CanalsLB etc

We will be down to SJP to take a look at our lot and talk to some builders April 21-25.I would like to meet up with any of you guys on ths forum for a drink and thank you for providing us with your opinions and insight. It really did help us with our decision to pick SJP.

Just got a contract after 1 week on the market.Will be down in a couple of weeks.Hopefully I can meet up with some SJP cheerleaders for a few drinks.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 PM

783 posts, read 1,598,444 times
OK, so this comes under the heading of romantical type lifestyle stuff..... those looking for more facts and figures today are simply out of luck on this one.

Lovely day, brisk / sunny / warmish / breezy.... soooo, down went the top on the Volvo and we headed out for a leisurely drive over to the Woodlands and through the covered bridge ( very quaint indeed )..... we of course went around Shady Pine Circle to check on the lots there and very happy to report that the lots are all still there and accounted for, don't know exactly which one we were checking on but they are ALL still there and in good shape with the construction of the new homes in the vicinity coming right along ( those that are still skeptical that there ARE new homes going up.... can't help ya there ).... continued on and past the CanalsLB lot, the house next door is framed with roof and awaiting siding. Parked at the dog run and took a nice stroll around the lake / amphitheater, conversing with people walking their dogs and then stopped for a moment at the treed area on the far side where the Sloeskis' reside ( a family of dozen or so large turtles ), we paid our respects and moved on. Back in the convertible, sparked up a Macanudo Baron de Rothchild for the drive and headed out and over to Southport. They were having a crafts fair at the Franklin Park on Howe Street a block from the waterfront, booths set up and locals were selling their wares and a local St James Doo Wop band was a' playin' under the humungous live oak in the center of the park, looked like several hundred people walking around and all the adjacent shops were also open.... made for a very old tyme fishing village type atmosphere with the breeze coming from the waterfront a block away, very nice I must say. Stopped in at The Trolly Stop, Trolly Stop Hot Dogs | Locations a hot dog eatery on Howe just off the riverfront and had a Sabrett all beef hot dog all the way ( mustard, onions, chili and kraut ) must say it was quite tasty and reminiscent of New Jersey. We headed back to St James and stopped at Tommy Thompsons for a drink just to round out the afternoon watching a few boats coming in. Staying in tonight, getting ready for tomorrow, going to the Reserve Clubhouse for the Easter Brunch Buffet ( soldout ) with two other couples at 2 PM..... quite a nice nice spread and no dishes.

Happy Easter.

PS: Texas Timmy.... We checked on your lot too and you'll be relieved to know that it is also still there and in good shape..... your arrival is on my calendar so I certainly trust that when you get here you're planning on being a sport and ready to spring for a couple of diet cokes with lemon at Tommy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina