U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM

43 posts, read 128,511 times

Advertisements

Canals LB - I'm thinking that wherever there are men and meat . . . there are BBQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 AM

383 posts, read 747,100 times
Just flew back from SJP last night (via MB, SC). Very productive trip as I visited my lot, chose my builder and spent an afternoon at the beach club. It is almost time to break ground and get things moving. I also met some other nice folks from the Reserve/Woodlands Park at the beach club. There seems to be a lot of construction going on and the grounds look great. Topped it of with dinner at Island Way and a sunset over the water. Just does not get better than this.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM

907 posts, read 1,535,998 times
I am a couple of years behind you (4) but ready to make the "move". I have been down that way 4-6 times on golf weeks but need to get the "bride" down as she thinks the Jersey Shore is the be all and end all. I think the down side on prices could be done but fail to see an upside so I have no rush to buy land or lay anchor on a property at this time. Thoughts from others on this strategy?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM

2,790 posts, read 7,381,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am a couple of years behind you (4) but ready to make the "move". I have been down that way 4-6 times on golf weeks but need to get the "bride" down as she thinks the Jersey Shore is the be all and end all. I think the down side on prices could be done but fail to see an upside so I have no rush to buy land or lay anchor on a property at this time. Thoughts from others on this strategy?

There are, currently, 140 homes and 292 lots for sale in St. James. I don't think there is a rush to buy anything at this time, especially since you are 4 years from moving. That is 4 years of paying property taxes and HOA fees on a property, for what?
You could spend that on several rounds of golf!

And. I have to ask, has your "Jersey Shore Gal" approved of the retirement plans?
If her heart is set on the "Shore" and you move her down to NC, you might be in for a world of hurt.
Good luck!

Old 06-18-2012, 03:56 AM

68 posts, read 95,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
There are, currently, 140 homes and 292 lots for sale in St. James. I don't think there is a rush to buy anything at this time, especially since you are 4 years from moving. That is 4 years of paying property taxes and HOA fees on a property, for what?
You could spend that on several rounds of golf!

And. I have to ask, has your "Jersey Shore Gal" approved of the retirement plans?
If her heart is set on the "Shore" and you move her down to NC, you might be in for a world of hurt.
Good luck!
A little bit of advice,from someone who has been there,don`t buy a thing,rent a condo for a year. Visiting here and living here are two different things,so don`t tie your self into anything until your sure

Old 06-18-2012, 07:04 AM

794 posts, read 1,647,284 times
Been a bit remiss in posting, been a little busy stalking Jos A. Bank in Wilmington, parking across the street and just living vicariously through the customers I guess, as they exit the store with bulging bags of almost free clothing that I no longer need.

Now a thought on the recent post..... if both of you are not on the same page about moving "anywhere", it doesn't matter if it's North Carolina or Hong Kong, if you're both not together on the move there is going to be an unhappy camper ( or maybe two ) down the road. Having said that, we have met several couples that did not initially agree 100% on the move ( usually it is the wife, sorry but it is true, usually because of the kids / grandkids ) and after they get here they find they love it too..... it happens both ways, depends entirely on the individuals involved..... we are, after all, just like snowflakes, no two are alike.

Regarding the grilling, I don't find myself grilling all the time, we eat out a lot since there are so many great choices of restaurants in the area, especially on the water and Tommy's and the other clubhouse restaurants are so easy, just a few minutes away..... and as I look around all the time I do not see extensive outdoor kitchens like you see in the magazines in Florida, they simply do not seem to be building them in abundance.... instead they have a free standing grill on the patio, which is what we plan.

As far as the house is concerned, we have had a lot of rain lately and that has slowed progress "a bit", but the framing is ongoing and the roof should be on by the end of the week.

PS: Just a gloriously nice afternoon / evening yesterday weatherwise..... no humidity and 85 degrees... so we put the top down ( of course ) and tooled out and over to Fishy Fishy in Southport for a bit of dinner, sitting in the breeze on the pier watching the boats rolling by just a few feet away, we had their excellent and very fresh shrimp ceviche, a pecan crusted catfish and a plate of very bodacious ribs along with a cabernet and a corona with lime.... whilst listening to the live band they had playing just a few feet away, outside on the dock..... very nice...... then we strolled a few yards over to the Old American Fish Company where we once again sat on the pier and had a drink and of course on of those infamous Macanudo Baron de Rothchild cigars in the strong waterfront breeze with the resident pelicans sitting on top of the pilings and diving for fish, just watching those ships rollin' in again while conversing with the others on the pier... very nice again.... after a bit of that we headed back to St James and as we passed through the parking lot of Tommy's, the commandant "insisted" and twisted my arm to stop and so we had a nightcap and finished my cigar with some friends at the Tiki bar listening to the live band, after all it WAS Sunday night...... VERY nice..... not a bad life after all !

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 AM

472 posts, read 491,610 times
Regarding grilling, I'm not a grilling nut. I was wondering if the longer season would effect me. i was wondering if an outdoor kitchen wouild be pratical. They sure do look nice but with all the activities and restaurants in St James and the surrouning area, I'll probably keep it simple and not go the the outdoor kitchen.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:25 PM

11,324 posts, read 19,961,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Regarding grilling, I'm not a grilling nut. I was wondering if the longer season would effect me.
We're not in St. James, but in a similar climate. We do grill outdoors more than we did in Maryland. But a gas grill is fine for the two of us. The outdoor kitchen might be practical if you plan to do a lot of entertaining and your indoor kitchen is too small.

In addition our builder did not vent the exhaust fans to the outside, so broiling sets off the fire alarm. That's one issue to clarify when you do build-- you should get a decent exhaust fan and insist on outside venting.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM

383 posts, read 747,100 times
I made sure my house plan had a propane hookup for my grill. Not planning to cook much, but sometimes I just need to grill a hamburger. Living in NJ and having spent many days in Sandy Hook, the beach club at St. James is a blessing. Short drive, not crowds but people there to talk to if you want to be social. The waves are calm and the sand is soft. In my case the wife is the one who has been pushing St. James, but after being there multiple times I am firmly by her side.

As far as when to buy, that is a personal decision. In my case having got a very reasonable foreclosure lot in a great location, made the decision easy. We then took our time to find the right builder and make sure our dream house is set up the way we want it. Having always bought resales, this is a new experience for us. Flying directly from Atlantic City to MB, SC is easy and fast. I also love only being 45 minutes from Wilmington. Very nice city to walk through and have dinner and then go shopping.

The only other think I have noticed is that everyone in SJP waves to you when you walk or drive past them. In NJ the only hand signal you can get is the finger.

Stone,

Good to see you back in the fold here. I drove by your property this weekend. We will have to hook up with our wives the next time we get down there (middle of July).

Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM

907 posts, read 1,535,998 times
Thanks for all the advice. I plan on renting before "laying anchor" but I need to get the Mrs. down to see that the beaches there are as nice as NJ and the season is 4 months longer. With three kids one in Boston, one on Long Island (Long Beach, Canal) and the youngest taking his last year in NH my bet is none will come "home" to Reading, PA. It will be in my estimate "us" time. Still could vacation in Stone Harbor, NJ but the rest of the time hopefully will be spent "vacationing" at St James.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina