U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,976,285 times

Advertisements

Congrats PonyPride, wish you the best.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,519 times
Me and my better half are planning to visit the area in early November. Any Recommendations on places to stay? Will be down for 4-5 days. Heard some new hotel, think it was a Hoilday Inn, was opening.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 AM

794 posts, read 1,645,460 times
Dear Fire65.... there are three hotels in Southport.... Hampton Inn... Comfort Inn and the Wingate Wyndham Wingate by Wyndham Southport | Southport, NC *28461 Hotel=

they are all fairly nice places but our preference is the Wingate, nicest, newest ( 3 yrs ) cleanest, etc, free breakfast, just 10 minutes from St James gate, easy acces to downtown and the waterfront / restaurants ( 5 minutes ) very nice place and does not allow pets as do the other two. The new Holiday Inn Express on Rt 211 that you reference is also just a few miles from SJP but as of right now is just some cement block elevator shafts, do not know what shape it will be in November if it will even be up and running at that time..... doubtful IMO. The next closest hotels are in Leland about 30 minutes from SJP.... towards Wilmington.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,519 times
Stonecreek, thanks for all the detailed information, will make planning the trip easier.

I liked reading Cat Tales to get a feel of the place, its a shame its restricted now. Are there any other sources of information available to find out whats going on in the area?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:20 AM

Not that I'm aware of...... let us know when you're coming.... we'll set up an executive session at Tommy's.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM

BTW..... as Texas Tim mentioned, we had a humdinger of an evening last Thursday at the Reserve Club.... because of vacations in July we did not have enough "gentlemen" respond for the "Big Boys Cigar Night" soooooo, at an executive session at Turtle Island we decided to transform the evening into.... a Mixed Up Mixer, and included our lovely and very young looking wives at the event..... huge success. Great time was had by all.... "especially" the better halves......great buffet inside the private room just off the rear porch and then out side with the men hanging on the porch puffing away at those fragrantly scented sticks of hand rolled tobacco product and the ladies ( mostly ) hung out just a few feet away around the fire pit ( lighted of course for ambience ) with a quite strong breeze all evening which just topped everything off as it was quite warm but the breeze was just glorious.... nice evening for everyone..... nobody wanted to leave they had to "suggest" that it was time to go at about 10PM.

Then, on Saturday evening, PonyPride and his better half ( and of course he knows that ) met up with us at Tommy's and along comes... you guessed it, the Texas Tims' and so we gathered for an executive session out on the deck with a beautiful breeze wafting by. At said executive session, several diet cokes were imbibed and we all discussed our immediate futures, which are very rosey..... as we are all building homes at the same time in our new paradise that we found here in North Carolina....... it's apparently not as tough a life down here as we all expected..... actually pretty easy to take.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM

59 posts, read 116,397 times
Hi! I've been reading the posts learning more about SJP. My husband and I are planning a trip there mid September. We're looking to move in a couple years to a community with a marina (we have a 29' cabin cruiser). Besides SJP are there any other communities that have a marina with slips for us to keep our boat?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM

St James is the only one around here that I know of with a full service marina, Winding River has a 10 slip day marina but that's it.... I think.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 7,376,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
Hi! I've been reading the posts learning more about SJP. My husband and I are planning a trip there mid September. We're looking to move in a couple years to a community with a marina (we have a 29' cabin cruiser). Besides SJP are there any other communities that have a marina with slips for us to keep our boat?

Thanks!
SeaScape at Holden Beach has a marina as does South Harbour Village in Southport.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 PM

Abby.... I was assuming you meant a plantation like SJP with golf, restaurants and full amenities.... South Harbor Village is a Mid-sized marina in Southport with a row of a couple of dozen condo-townhomes, a few shops and an Italian restaurant ( Joseph's ) across the parking lot..... Seascape at Holden Beach is a small "community" of a few hundred homes and homesites about 35 miles south of us, but I would look carefully into their finances as many of the other smaller ( and larger ) "communities" in the area are not in very good shape, many have gone under or are on the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina