U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 12:51 PM

59 posts, read 116,448 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. We're definitely looking for a home because we have a big dog (St. Bernard) and will possibly have another by the time we actually move. We're not yet at retiring age so we'll still be working for a few years. But rather than moving out of Philly to the suburbs for a few years and then a move South when we're ready to retire, we decided to find a community in the South with a marina that will work for now and when we retire. Also we prefer a community with newer homes or option to build since my husband is tired of fixing up homes and just wants to move in without a lot of work. So far SJP seems to fit from what we've read.

My next question is how hard is it to find work in that area? We're accustomed to up to an hour commute so working in Wilmington wouldn't be that big of a problem. My husband is an electrical engineer with a large, world-wide company and I'm a court reporter. I'm not too worried about my finding work but I'm concerned about my husband. Any thoughts or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,166 times
Alrighty then.... last night we decided to roundup the Texas Tims and another fine, upstanding couple from SJP and the six of us went to Playhouse 211 Playhouse 211 South Port NC which is just about a mile down the road from the main gate. They have different shows from time to time, small plays, singers, lectures, etc... last night they had a comedy nite..... a local guy from Wilmington and another, main attraction, froooommmmm.... where else.... Bergen County, NJ..... John McLellan from the Millionaire Matchmaker www.boozecoma.com. At first we wondered why they issued pampers to everyone upon entry to the theater.... we found out it was a pretty smart move though as many people were wetting themselves laughing.... including this whole crowd. Great show, great upholstered home theater style seats ( with cup holders ) and yes they sell beer and wine, etc in the lobby for those cup holders.

The show was over at about 8:45pm.... sooo, as planned, we all headed sown to the Yacht Basin Eatery Restaurant | Southport, NC on the water in Southport. Sat outside on the water with the waves rippling just under our feet just below the planking and a very strong breeze coming through the entire restaurant.... the food was, as usual, quite excellent ( as mentioned before, the owner / Chef Billie hails from Midland Park, NJ so how could the food be bad ? ) We had, appetizers of Chef Billie's famous stuffed mushrooms and marinated baby lamb chops...... strombolie, chicken picatta, broiled seafood plate, cobb salad with shrimp and pasta alfredo with lobster and shrimp...... all mighty tasty in the sea breeze.

If I haven't mentioned it before, they have been filming a Nicholas Sparks movie "Safe Haven" .....

Safe Haven (2013) - IMDb

Safe Haven, starring Josh Duhamel, filming in Wilmington, N.C. next week and looking for extras

in and around Southport and have built an extensive "set" including a complete waterfront market building at the waterfront literaly 100 yards from the Yacht Basin Eatery..... so last evening just as we were finishing our late dinner, they started shooting the scene where they blow up and burn the entire waterfront market that they built.... including 30 minutes of off and on extensive fireworks display from a barge just another 100 yards from where we were sitting. So we got two shows for the price of one last night and the fireworks and explosion / high tech burning of the market scene at night, in the dark, which made it even more dramatic, was a very nice added touch for free.

Another great evening with great food, great entertainment and great people here in Paradise.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM

78 posts, read 169,949 times
As so eloquently described by Stonecreek,It was indeed a very nice night! Great front row seats at the comedy show and front row seats at the restaurant for movie filming.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,346 times
Default Saint James Plantation

I've enjoyed reading all of the posts on St. James over the last year and they have helped answer many questions. Presently we live in Baltimore, but my husband is orginally from northern NJ. We had bought property a few years ago in the Reserve and are looking to begin building in 2013. Every visit down has been fun and we've been able to make a few friends along the way.
We actually have our home plans out for bids and I'm curious how others decide on a builder. We actually have liked all the builders and it was a hard choice just to narrow it down for the bids. I would welcome any comments on how your final decisions were made. And on how to keep to a realistic budget.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:23 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,780,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby310w View Post
Thanks for the info. We're definitely looking for a home because we have a big dog (St. Bernard) and will possibly have another by the time we actually move. We're not yet at retiring age so we'll still be working for a few years. But rather than moving out of Philly to the suburbs for a few years and then a move South when we're ready to retire, we decided to find a community in the South with a marina that will work for now and when we retire. Also we prefer a community with newer homes or option to build since my husband is tired of fixing up homes and just wants to move in without a lot of work. So far SJP seems to fit from what we've read.

My next question is how hard is it to find work in that area? We're accustomed to up to an hour commute so working in Wilmington wouldn't be that big of a problem. My husband is an electrical engineer with a large, world-wide company and I'm a court reporter. I'm not too worried about my finding work but I'm concerned about my husband. Any thoughts or comments?

Well, the June unemployment rate for Wilmington Metro was 10% New Hanover County about the same
Brunswick County 10.9.

Don't move without concrete job offers.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM

128 posts, read 435,144 times
I rarely post on this forum anymore but I thought I would give potential lot/home purchasers in St James a heads up on current lot prices. There are currently dozens of lots listed for sale in the $30,000 to $60,000 range thanks to two major banks that have dumped about 100 foreclosures on the market in just the last few months. The Reserve section and the Woodlands section are where most of the foreclosures are but there are lots all over the subdivision in that price range. It's a good opportunity to buy a vacant lot for cheap if you intend to live or retire there.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM

383 posts, read 746,685 times
I know some lots were dumped on the market (just checked realtor.com) but like anything else in real estate it is Location! The cheaper lots I have seen are interior lot or lots that are very small. There is one interior lot in the Reserve very under market and it is a great lot if you don't mind having house boarder you on all sides including the back yard. I also saw a cheap golf course lot in the Sanderling area but the acreage is 0.18 acres. You will have to fit your house in with a shoe horn. Foreclosure lots are great, but you have to really investigate them and see them. Purchasing off the site map or a picture is not recommended.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:43 PM

11,320 posts, read 19,948,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
The cheaper lots I have seen are interior lot or lots that are very small. There is one interior lot in the Reserve very under market and it is a great lot if you don't mind having house boarder you on all sides including the back yard.
There are also some good sized lots of .40 acres or more under $79K. Many say they are wide enough for a side-load garage. They are usually "nature" lots, rather than golf-front, but some have waterfront or water views. I wish I had the money to consider them as an option.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM

383 posts, read 746,685 times
Totally agree Golden. For $75K-$100K you can get a nice "nature" lot in the Reserve or Woodlands park.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,182 times
Thank you! I appreciate your input. Good to know about the beach situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina