U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 05:18 PM

907 posts, read 1,534,680 times

Advertisements

Stoney, how's construction going? I remember you were in the "biz" and should be a good judge of quality etc. Also I believe I asked this before but are there no basements down there because of the water table or that is not how they do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,666,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
my personal thought is that st. james is my idea of hell. so pricey, snobby people, and it's in the middle of nowhere. I guess it's ok if you like no places to shop, no places to eat, and if you like shopping at wal mart with people who live in trailers.
St. James is sounding alot like certain parts of New Bern.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 PM

166 posts, read 580,361 times
Here we go again!!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 AM

224 posts, read 432,316 times
I think LeRoy has changed his screen name!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 AM

111 posts, read 208,584 times
The only correct statement in that quote is "pricey", you will pay a premium for a home there and expenses are on the high side but it is a lovely place to live and the people there are great.

Ron W.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM

794 posts, read 1,645,778 times
Well..... the only comment I can make about that inane, vapid, inocuous, absurd and preposterous "4 year old quote" by the original brain surgeon that posted it AND the high level rocket scientist that found it advisable to re-post it is...... hmmmm, I guess I already said it.

However, regarding "pricey"..... the condos in SJP start at $100K.... the single family homes ( new ) on single lots start at $ 220K....... I suppose that "might" be considered "pricey" for such a nice plantation and amenities...... in some circles.

Caco54, with regard to basements, there is ONE that I know of, there "may" be others, but that one is on the side of a hill and not actually underground, it is the sandy soil and wet nature of the entire area that stops them, not unlike the Jersey shore area...... although I guess you COULD build one if you really wanted to, but I don't know why.

The house is coming along nicely, roof is on, siding going up as we speak, electric and plumbing are underway, getting ready to order the kitchen / cabinetry.

Feeling much better this week..... the commandant and I are headed for Cancun over Labor Day and I finally got an opportunity to take advantage of a part of a sale at Joseph A. Bank..... she decreed that I needed some new tidy whities for the trip so as not to embarass her in case of an accident.... so I stocked up !

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM

383 posts, read 746,551 times
I feel like I have to comment on the reference to SJP being "pricy." All I can say is you get what you pay for. Large lots, beautiful landscaping, a private beach club where you don't have to drive around for an hour to find parking and all the different settings, Parks, Marina, etc. Plus SJP has no risk because all the amenities are in. Other communities make promises but do not deliver. Also, the annual $795 POA fees are very reasonable. In a NJ condo with limited facilities you would pay that in two months.

As far as the people what can I say. They all waive. My wife and I laugh about it because everyone does it. We joke that the are like the robots in "Westworld." Seriously, any community with Stone and my man Texas Tim is a good place to live. SJP also allows me to go clubing in Wilmington or do the tourist thing in Myrtle beach. I can do that in NJ if I don't mind sitting in 2 hours of traffic.

SJP is a cool place.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM

78 posts, read 169,923 times
As Stonecreek and PonyPride described,with everything SJP has to offer with great along with great neighbors,I think SJP is a bargain. Stonecreek gave me a guided tour of his home that is going up and by the time it was over, I believe he may have to apply for his own zipcode!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 70,885 times
Returned last week from a 5 day stay in the Club Villas, as we wanted to check one out for possible future long term stay during construction (rented the unit through VRBO), very nice accommodations in this unit.

Went for morning run/walks and encountered several SJPer's along the way. EVERY person that I encountered greeted me with a "hello" or "good morning" or a friendly wave.

Had a weekday lunch at Tommy Thompson's with the family (five of us). Started to rain on the way so when we arrived we took a peek in the door and found that the place was packed. So we parked ourselves at one of the outdoor tables under the roof. Before we could even sit down, two smiling hostesses came out and started to remove the cushions from our seats to replace them with ones from another table so that we wouldn't get our butts damp.

The next morning my two sons (22 & 24) went over to the Founders Club driving range to hit a few balls. Upon arriving at the practice tee, they noticed that there were no golf balls out. A friendly fella pulled up on a golf cart, stating the obvious (that the balls weren't out yet) and invited them to have a seat at the Club bar for a few minutes until things were set up (it's 5 o'clock somewhere).

That afternoon, we went to the Members Club to play the Cate Nine. Once again, the gentlemen at the cart shack were more than cordial, with their jokes and advice (they put their money on the right guy too).

To get to the point, this was the longest of the three stays that we have had when visiting St.James, the first stay in the plantation. The second visit since we purchased our lot. Based on our experience, I can only echo the comments of Stonecreek, PonyPride & Texas Tim about the friendliness of the neighbors, but I can also say the same about the staff that we encountered. I agree with PonyPride...it is a cool place (the rest of the family thinks so too).

By the way, went to beach club on the Sunday after we arrived. 90 degrees plus & no problem finding a place to park in the club lot.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 AM

383 posts, read 746,551 times
LakeEffect, what does VRBO stand for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina