U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 AM

71 posts, read 283,529 times

Advertisements

Vacation Rentals By Owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 AM

38 posts, read 70,898 times
Right you are JN...It's a pretty cool website, has rentals nationwide and worldwide (If my memory serves). Also, no realtor or leasing company to deal with, which I assume would result in lower costs to renters. We got a good deal on our villa.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM

59 posts, read 116,485 times
My husband and I made reservations to come to SJP in a month to explore and see what they have to offer. We're really excited to check out the homes and even homesites to see if this will be the best fit for us!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 AM

383 posts, read 746,869 times
Hi Abby,

My wife and I were in your shoes a few years ago. Have a great time at SJP and also explore other communities. That will give you a good sample to compare different communities. Our choice came down to Hilton Head or SJP. After we chose SJP we then had to determine resale or build. That was the hardest decision. Ultimately we decided to buy a lot and build.

The people on this site were very helpful. Feel free to reach out via this site or PM if you have any questions.

Ponypride

Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Abby,

We are in a similar position to Pony's, with the possible exception of visiting other communities.

We did some internet research on retirement communities specifically in the Virginia/North Carolina area to avoid the oppressive summer heat and humidity of the more southern locations. Being from Central New York, we were looking for a location where we could still experience a moderate change of seasons.

Having visited the SJP website, we began looking for websites that listed reviews of the plantation by residents/visitors, stumbled upon this forum, and was impressed by all the positive comments about SJP. This prompted our initial visit.

I would recommend that you visit during different times of the year just to get a feeling for the place. My wife and I came down for a long weekend in October, again for a few days in February and a week long stay in July. We noticed that a few of the businesses in town are seasonal and so are not open during the "winter" months. But we found plenty of other options.

We had initially looked at resale homes, but after considerable thought, decided to purchase a lot and build a home that would best fit our lifestyle. Having experienced the construction process with our current home, we're fairly comfortable with the home building process, although the are some distinct differences down south (no basements, wind and hail considerations, pest control.)

As is mentioned in earlier posts on this forum, there are several reputable builders in SJP. Our toughest decisions to date have been deciding on a plan (finally agreed on one) and deciding on a builder (still in the works).

I think you'll find St. James to be a beautiful community.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 AM

844 posts, read 2,687,765 times
LakeEffect,

What are the wind and hail, and pest control considerations you mentioned?

Thank you?

Old 08-19-2012, 08:48 AM

Marc,

My understanding is that in the coastal areas of North Carolina if you have a bank mortgage on your home, the bank will require the home owner to have wind & hail (hurricane) insurance to be in effect. Regarding the "pest" control, during conversations with several builders, it was mentioned that the perimeter of the home should be treated annually to prevent damage from termites, etc.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,529 times
That is correct, if you have a mortgage on your home the bank will require "wind and hail" insurance on the house.... in reality over 95% of homeowners get it, mortgage or no mortgage. On a 2500 sq ft house in this area it runs in the neighborhood of $1,800 to $2,000 per year.

Pest control, for insects and termites as it is very moist around here, most people have it done on a quarterly basis.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,977,006 times
For all of those lucky individuals who have decided to build a home who would you reccomernd as your builder. Still wrestling with the resale versys purchase lot and build. So lets say i want a home in the 2900-3200 sq foot range, who would you reccomend as a builder.

Did you find your builder through referral of your realtor or did you do some research on internet site? Appreciate anyone who rersponds.

Jim

Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM

11,321 posts, read 19,952,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
So lets say i want a home in the 2900-3200 sq foot range, who would you reccomend as a builder.
It would help if you put in some other parameters like, the style. Do you want a simple beach house, a coastal 2-story with a porch, a brick traditional or an elaborate French Provincial with a tile roof and other fancy finishes? About how much do you want to spend? The answers to these questions will narrow down the choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina