U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM

794 posts, read 1,646,529 times

Advertisements

Biscy, that is also true.....

AND as I drove through the gates a while ago and down the beautifully landscaped entrance and through the tree lines streets...... I felt neither creepy or uncomfortable..... but maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM

383 posts, read 746,869 times
Default Clubs at St. James

Poodlecamper is correct. We are not planning on joining the clubs as the outset, but will still have access to the beach club (including the pool). You can play golf at slightly higher rates and not have priority on tee times. You can still use the marina, dining facilities. You don't have access to tennis courts and fitness clubs.

There is still a lot to do in one of the nicest communities on the planet.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM

11,321 posts, read 19,952,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
We are not planning on joining the clubs as the outset, but will still have access to the beach club (including the pool). You can play golf at slightly higher rates and not have priority on tee times. You can still use the marina, dining facilities. You don't have access to tennis courts and fitness clubs.
I would want to use an indoor pool in the winter. I was under the impression that one would have to join a country club to do that. Is that correct?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM

794 posts, read 1,646,529 times
Goldenage1, that is correct .... it has been gone over many times on this forum.....

I guess St James is simply not everyone's cup of tea.....

fortunately there are dozens of other communities to choose from in the area.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
I guess St James is simply not everyone's cup of tea.....

fortunately there are dozens of other communities to choose from in the area.
Thanks. St. James is not really within my budget, although if it were, I think it would be a very nice option for me.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM

720 posts, read 1,492,154 times
There is an indoor pool at Brunswick Community College---a beautiful, fairly new facility. Just adding my .02.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
There is an indoor pool at Brunswick Community College---a beautiful, fairly new facility. Just adding my .02.
Thank you. It is in Bolivia, and it is open to the public, not just students: Dinah E Gore Fitness & Aquatics Center . There are Water Aerobic classes, and a swim club. It sounds like a good alternative for those of us who don't need a golf club.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 AM

111 posts, read 208,686 times
As others have said the indoor pool at Brunswick Community College is maybe 20 minutes away from St. James I'm a member of the swim club and we have many St. James residents coming here.

It's a nice alternative to paying for for the indoor/outdoor swim facilities within St. James.

Ron W.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM

720 posts, read 1,492,154 times
And to add one more comment (I have plenty, just ask DH) re: the above comments about SJP's being "different" in feeling. It is absolutely beautiful. DH considered living there, but just not in our pocketbook. But if you are from New England, as I am, it has a very different feeling. More manicured, more "perfect". We are a little more scruffy here, even the high end homes have a more casual look---hard to explain--so the communities in NC do tend to feel different ,"foreign", from ours, but not meant in a bad way. In general, not having many planned communities (subdivisions) our homes don't "match". Ok now I'll shut up

Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
More manicured, more "perfect". We are a little more scruffy here, even the high end homes have a more casual look---hard to explain--so the communities in NC do tend to feel different ,"foreign", from ours, but not meant in a bad way.
As a fellow New Englander, I know what you mean. I find SJP a little too "perfect", and that makes me uncomfortable.

However, there is one older (1997) house that would seriously tempt me. It has a large lot backing to Beaver Creek, and it has a walkway and boat dock and lift with a small boat for the creek. It is a simple, unpretentious brick ranch listed for under $300K.

I tried to think about the SJP club membership in a different way. The HOA dues at Brunswick Forest are reportedly $2160, while the HOA at SJP are 750. That $1410 difference amounts to $15,510 in 11 years. So, if you lived at SJP for 11 years you could justify the $15,000 non-refundable club membership, as what you saved in HOA fees versus Brunswick Forest. This way, the cost of SJP sounds more justifiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina